New Zealand RTW and back on a KTM500exc.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Aaron.S, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you have FB message me. I'll be in the area tomorrow still. Looking at exploring the area before heading up to UB.
  2. Grog

Grog Old Bastard

Oddometer:
    This is good stuff, well done mate...

Grog
    Aaron.S likes this.
  3. kvango

kvango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Aaron,
    Ride report keeps getting better, including some amazing pics.
    Mongolia looks incredible. Wish I could send you a cold one!
    :beer
    Colebatch has some interesting Mongolia rides, and adds a lot of history. Really incredible empire, something not really taught in ‘merican Schools. Laid the foundation for modern China, world trade, technology gathering, manufacturing . . . . Kublai khan very modern in terms of religious freedoms, human rights (for the time).

Great read, really changed my entire view of world history:

https://books.google.com/books/about/Genghis_Khan_and_the_Making_of_the_Moder.html?id=A8Y9B5uHQcAC

(For a heavily fictionalized ‘history’ Netflix Marco Polo worth a watch for those of us not riding RTW right now :type)
    Aaron.S and nzrian like this.
  4. Aaron.S

Oddometer:
    I've been watching Marco Polo.
    I've also been listening to Dan Carlins podcast Wrath of the Khans. Good stuff.
    Cheers for the positive comments on the RR.
    kvango, levain and shuswap1 like this.
  5. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I remember feeling pretty small when I was on the rally in Mongolia and when I crashed and broke the roadbook switch and ICO I was ready to panic knowing I had no way to navigate from the roadbook not knowing where I was or where I was going. Huge thanks to the Japanese guy who let me run with him for the rest of the day. We were most definitely in the middle of nowhere. Now Paul is talking about moving our Siberia/Mongolia/Stan’s trip to 2021 so we’ll see what happens.

Keep on having fun out there Aaron! Ride safe.
    thirsty 1, BLucare and Aaron.S like this.
  6. DC950

DC950 Microadventurer

Oddometer:
  7. Aaron.S

Oddometer:
    Sorry I've been slacking on the R.R.
    I ended up doing a 300 odd k day trip to go check out the dunes in Gobi Gurvansarikhan.
    On the way I went to a narrow canyon for a little bit of a hike.
    I have to admit the dunes were a tad disappointing as I think you really need to go to the other side of the national park but it was to far.
    The next day I did the 570k grind to Ulaanbaatar.
    I had woken up to howling wind but luckily it was a decent tailwind the whole way.
    Before I left I ran into Mark from Canada so we had a sit down and chat. He was heading the way I had come from and it was going to be his first day on his own so hopefully I gave him a little reassurance about the route.
    I stayed at the Oasis the first night then went out to the Riverpoint a little way out of town because Holger,Janet and Ronnie whom I had met and traveled with on and off were staying there before they flew out.
    Pretty big night on the Vodka. ouch.
    I got a update my package from Adventure-spec had turned up in UB so I went to the DHL to get it.
    I had been told by a couple different people not to bother trying to send stuff here because it is a mission to get it cleared through customs.
    Hats off to Dave and the team at Adventure-Spec as they were willing to try and since they were paying for the tyres,chain and shipping I didn't have anything to loose.
    I got there in the morning and the manager called customs and by the afternoon it was clearded and waiting for me to pick up.
    I went back to DHL to get the stuff and they even got a driver to take me and the package back to the KTM dealer.
    The front fork started leaking a couple days ago and I tried cleaning with the fork doctor tool but no luck.
    So I'm getting new chain sprockets, all filters including the one in the tank, tyres, chain guides , battery and the forks redone.
    The lithium has been in there a couple years and a couple times played up so time for a change.
    Since I don't have my bike I played tourist yesterday and walked around the city and went to the museum.
    I also spent most of the morning sorting out my Carnet as I'll need it for Malaysia ,Indonesia and Aussie.
    Not cheap. 1450 kiwi. I get 500 of it back. The guy I'm dealing with in New Zealand has been amazingly helpful and pretty good about the paperwork not quite all been correct.
    I really need to get going by the end of the week though.
    It's hard to sit still but also I want to be done with the rest of Siberia before September as the seasons change pretty quick there and winter is on it's way.
    I think that's about it. 20190719_144911-01.jpeg
    mokhtario, Manny U, BillUA and 23 others like this.
  8. cidi

cidi cidi Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats on your great trip. Have been following since the beginning. THANK you for spending the time writing this near real time.
    Stay safe!
    Aaron.S likes this.
  9. Aaron.S

Oddometer:
    Little vent.
    I messaged the KTM dealer in Ulaanbaatar weeks in advance to let them know I was coming and what service I wanted done.
    One of the main things was to make sure that they had shims for the valves so they could be adjusted if out.
    I continuley updated them on my arrival date.
    Only one time out of all my messages did I get a reply saying... yes no problem we have it all.
    Their FB page has no address of their showroom location and the map link sends you to an apartment building not even close to it.
    The phone number they have is disconnected.
    This so far has been the biggest shit show of a dealer I have had to deal with.
    I'm picking up my bike tomorrow and I'm starting to feel sorry for the guy already for the bloody ear ache he's going to get.
    I told them to replace the fork seals because if they are doing the oil and it's all apart they might as well because they don't cost much. I just got off the phone with him and he said they didn't think they really needed it.
    When a customer tells you to do it just fucking do it.
    Vent over.
    I have 6000k to the otherside of Russia.
    I'll have to sort out stuff after that in Malaysia or Indonesia.
    BillUA, Jersey87, Dusty Rider and 4 others like this.
  10. DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff Tinker Tinker Ride Ride

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the trip so far, Aaron. Amazing story and gorgeous pics. Thank you again for reporting.

Quick comment and question though: you couldn't pay me to take my 500 to my local dealer (or most any KTM dealer for that matter). Why put your prized machine and the fate of your amazing journey into the hands of a potential ham-fist?

Not trying to stir up shit just an honest question. Thanks!
  11. Aaron.S

Oddometer:
    Straight up question.
    I had talked to a few people first when I was at Riverpoint that had lived in UB for 10 plus years and they told me that the mechanic was pretty good. Hence been not a major job needing done just checking the valves, doing the forks I thought all good.
    I don't carry a shim kit.
    It dose still concern me though.
    The other thing is that the workshop is on the otherside of the city and the one nice thing they did do is offer to get my bike over there and back saving me from a taxi and the hassle along with it pushing down that dsy.
    I found a cheap place .. well not that cheap probably more than I normally spend but in the city walking distance from the dealer.
    I spent the time working out my next plan of attack and making calls back to NZ. For the CPD etc.
    Call me lazy and I've never claimed to be a mechanic I'm a rider.
    Manny U, DesertRatliff and shuswap1 like this.
  12. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Probably sounds odd, but I've been wondering what you've been up to. I'm glad to read all is ok, at least outside of dealing with that crap from the Katoom dealer. Sounds like a bit of a dumpster fire, I hope you're able to get it sorted and it doesn't screw up your plans for getting through Siberia.

Did you spend much time riding through the sand, or was that an opportunity shot (lol)?

Good to see you checking in @Aaron.S! Still bummed we never had a chance to grab a whisky when you were in OR. You're planning to head back to NZ at "the end" right - not coming back to OR?
  13. DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff Tinker Tinker Ride Ride

Oddometer:
    You are definitely a rider, my man!!!! Thanks for answering. I can see how time away from the bike used for other activities/errands/interests is of hi-importance on a trip of this magnitude. Honest question, honest answer. Thank you, Aaron. Front wheel up and continued good travels to ya!
    Aaron.S likes this.
  14. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    How did you like the museum? I really enjoyed it myself, I’m still thinking about that crown made of gold with the very delicate leaves all over it.
  15. Aaron.S

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure when I'll be back in Oregon.
    I still have my snowboards there and I plan on selling my house once I'm settled in NZ and working so I can buy a place there so I'll need to pop back at some stage.
    We can grab a whiskey then.
  16. Aaron.S

Oddometer:
    Better than the one in Dalanzadgad which didn't have power and the lady tried to show me some stuff with the ight from her phone. Hs
    Manny U and skibum69 like this.
  17. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad you're enjoying it. Must be something special, listening to that masterpiece while riding in Genghis Khans footsteps.
  18. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Aaron, what is your final destination city in Russia? Sorry if you already said. Really enjoying your report! TIA
  19. Aaron.S

Oddometer:
    I got my bike back today.
    I'm mostly pretty happy with what they did.
    Unfortunate that they dropped the ball and didn't have the shims.
    They did give it a pretty decent clean.
    They did break my ram mount which is a tad frustrating because it's hard to trust it with my phone when one claw holder is missing.
    I talked to the mechanic via a interpreter and he did replace one seal on the right fork so bonus on that.
    Perhaps the biggest relief was they had the pivot assembly for the rear shock. I knew it was getting bad and I should of thought about it and brought one with me from the States.
    As you can see by the photo I got my moneys worth out of it.
    So all and all with the amount of work done it was pretty cheap.
    200US for labor.
    I also got them to mount the new Motoz Rallz tyres and new chain sprockets and guides. Throttle assembly needed fixing. Left radiator mounts were worn... nothing major but quite a few little things.
    They left a couple bolts out of under the rear guard but I noticed before I left and they replaced them.
    The weather has been pretty bad the last few days so great timing not to be on the bike.
    Soooooo we are all set to head back to Russia and do one last decent push to Magadan via the road of bones if weather permits.
    I've heard there is construction on the road north to the border so it'll take probably a couple days instead of one even though it's only 350k direct. Guess there is a big detour.
    It is what it is and although I'm starting to count down days instead of weeks I'm doing okay on time.

20190725_104616-01.jpeg 20190725_104625-01.jpeg 20190723_131835.jpg 20190723_131914.jpg 20190723_131803.jpg 20190723_133853.jpg
    Manny U, Jersey87, FR700 and 21 others like this.
  20. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, you definitely got your $$$'s worth from that pivot :lol3 :lol3. Damn man, that's one worn part. You should send it to KTM and tell 'em this is what it looks like after so many miles/hours, then suggest they engineer it to hold up better :rofl :rofl

Really cool pics of the area @Aaron.S! I hope the weather cooperates and you're able to ride the road of bones. I remember watching that episode from the A Spec Lyndon series - effin' nuts with the history, etc.

Keep the new knobby side down man, looking forward to reading about your next exploits :thumb
    Aaron.S likes this.