New Zealand RTW and back on a KTM500exc.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Aaron.S, Oct 21, 2016.

1. shuswap1

shuswap1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's a great day Aaron, ups and downs, strong stuff.... persistence overcame the downs! The rear tire skid mark on the 4th washout pic looks like it was done with pure cheek!
    Thanks Much Amigo!
    Aaron.S and SmilinJoe like this.
  2. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Knowledge is horsepower

Oddometer:
    Dang. What roads?? :eek7

Might as well be on the moon.
    Aaron.S likes this.
  3. Comrade Art

Comrade Art Working stiff

Oddometer:
    Congrats on reaching Magadan :thumb
    Aaron.S likes this.
  4. ColumboNH

ColumboNH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome, Aaron!!
    Aaron.S likes this.
  5. reed valve

reed valve Just ride.....

Oddometer:
    Well done Aaron. What a ride
    Aaron.S likes this.
  6. radmann10

radmann10 Derf Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good job Aaron, thank you for taking us along on your ride!
    Aaron.S likes this.
  7. Cdubs

Cdubs made for adventure

Oddometer:
    Is there a maintenance log somewhere in this thread?
    Total miles, failures, etc

Well done mate!
    Aaron.S likes this.
  8. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Yep, but you gotta read the whole thread.
    MannyUrrego and Aaron.S like this.
  9. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rock on! Caught a blip on Poskitt's Instagram giving you kudas. Well done, we're 2 years behind you.
    Aaron.S likes this.
  10. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah it's in this thread. Pick through it.
  11. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the kudos and positive feedback.
    I left my bike yesterday at the shipping company.
    I'm flying to Vladivostok in a few hours as originally I got told I had to be there when the bike arrived to crate it. Now I'm getting told I don't but it's not a big deal as most onward flights leave from there so I'll go see the guy at the shipping company and take care of the payments and give him the paperwork he needs. Original title for the bike.
    Unfortunately my carnet didn't show up and my brother just messaged me saying he got a message from DHL to pick up a package so I have a feeling it got returned for some reason.
    I'm hoping I only need it physically in hand when I clear the bike in Malaysia not before it leaves Vladivostok.
    I had originally just thought I would fly to Bangkok as my friend Moritz lives there now.
    We traveled together into Colombia.
    Flights from Vladivostok are cheap only about 325 but then I saw flights to Seoul Korea for 180 and from there to Bangkok only 180ish so now I'm changing my plans and going to go there and play tourist before Thailand.
    Moritz has a CRF250l and said I can use it so it might be strange but you could see me posting with that in some photos.
    Best plan is no real plan so I'm taking the next 6 weeks as it comes.
    How's that for a kick in the pants just shy of the 1600hr mark.
    I was tempted to let her idle for a while.
    Gives me something to look forward to huh. 20190813_162251.jpg 20190813_162340.jpg
  12. nakedjordan

nakedjordan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Aaron! I'm still on page 91 and was trying not to skip ahead in this thread because I wanted to read the whole thing start to finish (over time haha) but I do follow you on Instagram and when you posted the picture of the sign for Magadan I felt the need to skip here and post a congratulations! Truly epic journey to read about and I'm only at the point where you're about to fly back to your bike.

I love my 500 and always thought it would be the best "adventure bike" for most of the things I would want to do on an "adventure" so thanks for proving that it can be done and will be the right bike for the rest of us 500 owners haha

Anyway I'm gonna drop back a few pages and find out what happens when you fly back haha

again congratulations on getting that milestone that is Magadan.
  13. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey mate thanks for the congrats and forgive me for my shitty proof reading with spelling etc. Often I'm in a rush doing this thread at the end of the day.
    Sorry if insta ruined the ending.
  14. ssgmiddleton

ssgmiddleton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Flights from Vladivostok are cheap only about 325 but then I saw flights to Seoul Korea for 180 and from there to Bangkok only 180ish so now I'm changing my plans and going to go there and play tourist before Thailand.
    Moritz has a CRF250l and said I can use it so it might be strange but you could see me posting with that in some photos.
    Best plan is no real plan so I'm taking the next 6 weeks as it comes.

Man, I just left Seoul after another 7 month trip over. I would have bought you a beer and shown you a few of the sites worth seeing. I love that city, lots to see and do and the food is my favorite. Enjoy your time there.
  15. liv2day

liv2day Life is all about how you handle plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Enjoy your tourist time in Seoul man, I bet it's going to be a great break from riding and going from destination to destination. I hope the thing with the carnet works out and it doesn't end up being a huge PIA, though it sounds like a pia dealing with it.

Great update @Aaron.S, effin' nearly 1600 hours on the old girl. Damn.

Hope you're going to continue posting pics of your R&R time in Seoul and the Thailand, especially if you'll be ripping around on a 250. Let me spoil it for you - your going to miss the grunt of the 500 :lol3 :lol3. I really like my little WR250, but I seriously miss the torque of my old 690.

Safe flights and travels as you embark on yet another new place :thumb :thumb
    Aaron.S likes this.
  16. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fantastik!
    Aaron.S likes this.
  17. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lots of road works going on. I'm thinking it will be quite different in a couple years just like many places around the world.
    Kyron, skibum69 and wilfred like this.
  18. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congrats Aaron! Simply amazing accomplishment. Despite all the obstacles you actually made it look easier than it was!
    Best of luck on the future!
    Aaron.S likes this.
  19. Prospector1

Prospector1 n00b

Oddometer:
    Aaron, what an awesome accomplishment! My hat's off to youHow are you able to get on/off your bike with all your luggage? I have a similar setup minus the top bag and it's a real challenge(even with a 34 inch inseam). Does your aftermarket kickstand help? Anyways, congratulations on another epic ride(and ride report). Absolutely Awesome! Enjoy your time in Asia.
  20. Wake up call

Wake up call Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well done Aaron! I haven’t had anywhere near the riding time you have but I have experienced the discomfort and the cold you spoke of. You have demonstrated such courage and perseverance which is an inspiration to us all! My hat goes off to you! Thank you for including us!
    Aaron.S likes this.