New Zealand RTW and back on a KTM500exc.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Aaron.S, Oct 21, 2016.

1. cptdrew

cptdrew Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great ride report Aaron! Heavy snow and ice expected up here in the Portland area tomorrow but the skiing and boarding have been awesome. Ride safe!
    Aaron.S likes this.
  2. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    I crossed over the Tecate boarder yesterday into the States whic
    Thanks! I'm going to take my time a little so hopefully in a week it will have warmed up a tad.

Attached Files:

3. 52xc

52xc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So Aaron what's your goal/ultimate destination for this bike? Gonna continue to ride it til it dies to set a record or stop and call it good in Oregon?
  4. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    Calling it good when I get to Portland and looking forward to sitting on a chairlift for a change. Pick some good days to check out more of Oregons trails. But as it warms up come summer and I'm sure I will be getting the itch Alaska would be sounding good.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    KiwiPewe and fasttortoise like this.
  5. 52xc

52xc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was gonna say Oregon Washington and Idaho have the best mountain singletrack in The nation but its summer weather when it's all open.
    Benduro and Kiharaikido like this.
  6. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's funny how your plans can change and also the great thing about not having a schedule. I had planned on going up the coast today then stopped for a coffee and decided to change direction and I ended up in Barstow via Big Bear. Think I will check out Death Valley. Looked like rain was coming so I figured it will be dry there. [​IMG]
    I don't think the chains will fit.
    I stopped to look at my map on my phone and take a picture and a guy stopped behind me with his kids in the car. He had seen my plate and figured I wasn't from around there and he was also into adventure riding so was interested in where I had come from and also offered me a place to stay for the night. What a awesome gesture. It wasn't on my way so I declined but American hospitality at its best. He did take my picture for me. I don't have many with me in them.[​IMG]

7. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    Great RR and I'm really enjoying the continued hard evidence that the 500 will go the distance. As for the counter shaft seal, pick up a dirt tricks counter shaft dome washer (if you don't already have one), works a charm. Vacation is over tomorrow, back to the salt mines to toil away but I'll continue to watch you RR as I work out my own cunning plan for a Vegas to Baja via Mojave and Joshua Tree and as much dirt as possible.
    Aaron.S and Critt like this.
  8. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  9. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    Today I thought I was going to go to Death Valley but got sidetracked buy some fun roads and perhaps underestimated the loop so played around on some really cool back roads. Having said that a few more turns in there would of been nice.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  10. Nurse Ratched

Nurse Ratched Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know some KTM EXC models have stock seat heights of 38 inches...could you please advise your height?
  11. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    BLUE(UK) and KoD like this.
  12. kito

kito Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you had the bike in the lowest power setting to last so long ?

Has the been any power loss yet ?

Do you have any maintenance plan for upcoming engine work ?
  13. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    Where there's a will...

(It's certainly made me complain less about not being 6'6")
  14. DSchmidt7of7

DSchmidt7of7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Aaron.

I'm the guy who caught up to you just north of Big Bear. For the rest of you, I was up for a "snow day" with a car full of 12-year old girls when I see some guy splitting lanes on a KTM, with a foreign plate and camping gear.:hmmmmm He goes one way and I go another (Stanfield cut-off) so that was it. 20 minutes later I'm going down the backside on SR 18 where it intersects Cap Rock Road and there he is again, stopped on the side of the road. Now I gotta pull over.

I park, walk up and we chat for a bit. I offer to put him up for the night, but when looks back at the car full of girls on a sleep-over, he shows profound judgement and gets the hell outta there. By the way, the girls got a kick out of how long of a trip Aaron was taking, but they were most impressed with the wheelie he did as he pulled away. :thumb

Have a safe trip.
  15. Nurse Ratched

Nurse Ratched Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "It's certainly made me complain less about not being 6'6"

That's the height I calculate that's necessary to flat-foot a 38 inch KTM.
    keepshoveling and Aaron.S like this.
  16. Sootgrinder

Sootgrinder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm 6' 4" and I am comfortable on my 500exc but sometimes it is a struggle to get my fat leg over the fender. My buddy is 6 foot and he sys he needs a milk crate to stand on to ride it.
    Aaron.S likes this.
  17. snakebitten

snakebitten Small Town Hick

Oddometer:
    I RARELY post in an RR. I selfishly consume them. But I want to thank you sir (and dad) for making us yanks look good to a newly arrived world traveler.
    Especially this one. Not sure exactly what it is about Aaron, but I find it easy to root for the fella.
    Something about choosing that 500EXC against "world opinion", I suppose?

Cheers
    BLUE(UK), motosx, Allucaneat and 2 others like this.
  18. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    My right hand is the only power setting on my bike. It will have the EU map in it and no smog stuff as I brought it in NZ. No power loss that I can tell. I'm not sure about maintenance because I am in two minds. On the one side it would be smart to throw a new piston and rings in check out the bore. On the other side I'm really curious to see how far it will go before it pops. I think I'll do wheel bearings.

19. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad you found the thread and thanks again for your kindness. I thought they would get a kick out of the wheel stand I mean who doesn't like wheel stands.

20. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm 6ft even. The height of the bike has never been an issue for me.

KiwiPewe, Benduro, exhausted and 4 others like this.