New Zealand RTW and back on a KTM500exc.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Aaron.S, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Going through to find those photos for the last post I came across this old gem. Back in 2003 in Northern Vietnam. Old Russian Minsk.
    No frills. No phone, no GPS , no emails etc .... when things were pretty simple. Rented the bike for 5 kiwi a day. The guy had about 10 of them so I spent the day piecing together the best two for my friend and I. See so I didn't start doing this because of Boorman and McGregor. ha.
    vietnam2003.jpg
  2. DC950

DC950 Microadventurer

Oddometer:
    cool. Glad to know you haven't gone stir crazy yet.
    Aaron.S likes this.
  3. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Who cares why you started. You did it for you and that's all that matters.
  4. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm getting close!
    DC950 likes this.
  5. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    That made me chuckle the number of people that stereo typically associated my long overland trips as being inspired by these two characters is simply mind boggling.
    Unfortunately Boorman and McGregor has set most people's frame of reference when they brought the concept to the masses.
    My standard rebuttal to the Boorman and McGregor comment is " Well at least I see what you are doing with your free time " and just let it hang there, invariably you will get different responses, my favourite one to the "what do you mean?" is " Haven't your mom told you, watching too much TV will rot your brain"
  6. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have to admit catching an episode of their show many years ago did turn me on years before I had an “adventure” bike
  7. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    I have to admit though, as much as I love to hate them for creating this stereo typical view, allowing the general public to ignore people like Zoltán Sulkowsky and Gyula Bartha, Anne-France Dautheville, let alone Annie Cohen Kopchovsky (Okay not on motorised 2 wheels but this must have been an epic feet in 1894 to cycle around the world)and countless others, known or unknown, they also provided a massive boost to an otherwise limited industry.
    skibum69 likes this.
  8. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Effin' awesome @Aaron.S, imagine you're a bit stir crazy after not being on your bike for so long. Always good to enjoy some downtime and relaxation, especially when it involves a beach and beer, but so much better to have your steed and be on the move.

Hope the next few weeks pass quickly and you're back to knocking down the KMs on your 500. Glad you were able to get it sorted and really looking forward to the next update from the saddle.

Stay safe man :D
    Aaron.S likes this.
  9. powderpig

powderpig Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Aaron...just spent the last week of my life learning about the last 3 years of yours. Wow...what a ride. The photography is incredible and the honesty and humbleness of your writing is so engaging. Thank you for taking the time to document your adventure.

BTW...I've taught avalanche safety in the Mt. Hood Meadows side country for the last two years. Our permitted area is between the Meadows boundary and the White River canyon. If you've seen any groups of students there during your runs, I was likely one of the instructors.

All the best for the continuation of your journey...I'm now a passenger in the adventure!
    mylsmkj and Aaron.S like this.
  10. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much for your positive feedback it helps keep me motivated to continue this RR and keep up the great work keeping people safe in the backcountry.
  11. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I had some great news yesterday when I checked my email my bike is due to be in Port Klang on Wednesday.
    That's alot quicker sea time than I got told.
    I'm flying to KL on Monday as they need the Carnet and I expect it to take a couple days to clear but who knows this time next week I might just be braaping in Malaysia.
    I'm pretty much going to have it on the first flight out of there to Borneo once I go over it and make sure it's all good. I need to get tyres and do a oil change etc. From there I can cross into Indonesia overland. Let the fun begin....
  12. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    shipping to borneo can be time consuming, about $250 US last May to Kuching.. with POS malaysia, contact
    Miss Nadia ,nadia,rahim@pos.com.my
    Ph +603 5121 9988 ext 668

fax +603 5121 7616
    lot 22202, jalan gambus 33/4
    off jalan bukit kemuning, bt 8.5
    40350 Sham Alam , Selangor Darul Ehsan

they wanted Perfect copies, so we went in and let Them do it ,after many trys.
    great service with coordinators at both ends.
  13. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Malaysian Airlines was not Even cooperating with us, if at a scooter they wanted to charge us the super bike rate , for a naked 150?
    then we went to POS after not getting replies from other until after the process was engaged.
  14. powderpig

powderpig Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Aaron...curious about fuel availability on a trip like this. Do you find that you mostly rely on local knowledge to determine whether the next fuel opportunity will be within your range? Thanks.
  15. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not shipping I'm flying it.
  16. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    see my next entry
  17. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did. I have a couple other contacts with good experiences with doing it recently and given me some details. I'mtrying to stay positive going into this next shipping ordeal.
  18. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    yes , shipping can be a ? seems you have someone working for you and that is a good thing. just as we went our direction because the other directions were not. flying was our first choice but MAS cargo was not willing.
  19. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    how is it going, first have a good time.
  20. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm so fucking over dealing with this shipping it's not even funny anymore. Beyond a joke.
    I went to the shipping company this morning to give them my Carnet. The guy is awesome and super helpful. He checks on the update and yup turning up tomorrow so we expect a couple days to clear. This afternoon I get a email saying it's been put off for another 4 days and then not even unloading for a few after that then it might take us 2 to get it.
    I just can't be bothered with it anymore. I'm done.
    I've been looking at the shipping options from Bali to Aussie and from Dili and it all looks really expensive (over 2k more like 3 by the time it all clears) and Darwin is apparently very shitty to deal with and I could be dealing with the same as this. No more.
    Indonesia just isn't worth the headache for me anymore and I'm running low on cash so I'm getting quotes to get the bike straight to Aussie from here and on a plane.