New Zealand RTW and back on a KTM500exc.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Aaron.S, Oct 21, 2016.

1. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fack @Aaron.S, I'm sorry to read that. Sounds like a complete shitshow the whole way around, what a serious PIA to sift through. I hope you're able to get decent shipping lined up and the bike off to Australia in short order. Kinda sucks to have to miss riding Indonesia, but sitting idle while shipping companies dick you around sucks worse.

Keep safe man and keep us posted on what's going on.
    Aaron.S likes this.
  2. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you ready to return to Oz or just need a break from the hassle.
    do you have transport sorted now , called Nadia?
    Kuching is a short ride to Indo,ferrylines.com covers all the ferries running, anywhere.
    KK is a great jump off for water sports , sabah has good food everywhere .
    relax once you get your shipping sorted but it doesnt sound like a good way to end a great ride.?
  3. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good luck
  4. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The thing is I want to be back in New Zealand before winter and ride down to the bottom. If I do Indo now I'll either rush through it and then all of a sudden I'll be waiting another 4 plus weeks on shipping dealing with this again and then have to rush Aussie. Indo isn't that big a deal for me right now.
    Most of the feedback I'm getting is shipping into Darwin sucks. Also it's not cheap.
    I just got a quote for 1500 for my bike airfreight from here to Brisbane or 1400 to Adelaide. That's as cheap as sea from here to Perth. No flights to Perth for my bike. It's also cheaper than some quotes I have from Bali to Oz by sea.
    The ride isn't ending. I'm just missing Indo. Also its rainy season at the moment...well at least for parts of it. I honestly am feeling pretty good about my decision. Who knows I might change my mind in a couple days.
  5. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Enjoy the remaining time and food in Asia, sounds like you have a working plan, indo will be there for you when you are ready.
    Aaron.S likes this.
  6. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Yes and my friend Moritz I caught up with in BK wants to do it as well so perhaps I'll time it and do it with him and rent a bike or something. I could change my mind again you never know. I'm still looking at all my options.
    liv2day likes this.
  7. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a quick update.
    No more news on the bike but the shipping agent found out they have started flying a wide body to Perth now which means I can ship my bike there. I'm pretty set on doing that.
    I had thought of flying it to Brisbane and doing a loop down to Tasmania and back but I think this will make a better line on the map.
    I had just been talking to my really close friend who lives on the Gold coast and said I was going to be there in a couple weeks and I was looking forward to catching up with him but that's going to have to wait.
    After spending some days in K.L I can say that it has not grown on me at all. What a horrible city. I'm going to be so happy the day I get on the plane out of here.
    It's not quite as easy to move around now I have one big bag my small bag and a helmet.
    I'm feeling pretty good about about heading to Perth instead of Indo.
    Dusty Rider, Shaggie, DC950 and 4 others like this.
  8. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Safe travels to the land down under @Aaron.S, hope you have a great ride in Aus and can't wait to see the updates from when you and your bike get there.

Keep us posted man :thumb
    lubelord and Aaron.S like this.
  9. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bike has turned up!!!! I get to see it on Thursday and prep it for Aussie. Has to be spotless and drain the fuel disc battery etc. I'm hoping it can be out of here by Monday or Tuesday but they finally gave me a price for shipping today and I sent the money via bank transfer but they won't book the flight until that clears which could be a few days.
    I can't wait to have my feet on Aussie soil.... actually never thought I would say that ha.
    If anyone knows of a good mechanic in Perth or a good bike shop send me a message.
    Getting closer my friends real close to becoming a homeless bum living off my bike again.
    Dusty Rider, Jersey87, DC950 and 6 others like this.
  10. anydavenow

anydavenow Long timer

Oddometer:
    Give us a shout if there’s anything I can help with in Sydney, Aaron.
    Aaron.S likes this.
  11. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice right up with KTM......show me the money!!!! Looking forward to you getting the kickstand up again!!
    Aaron.S likes this.
  13. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Effin' awesome to hear/read @Aaron.S :thumb. Hope your travel and the bike's travel to AUS goes off without any hiccups and you're back to riding in no time at all. Looking forward to seeing shots from where you go and end up.
    Aaron.S likes this.
  14. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Right! A few parts when the motor needs another rebuild would be nice.
    DC950, BLucare and Dukehunt like this.
  15. snail01

snail01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Give you a 2020

to show that this new gen engine is the same if not better.
    Aaron.S and nzrian like this.
  16. DC950

DC950 Microadventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised that they had the balls to print the pic of you wheelieing in front of their closed doors!
  17. radmann10

radmann10 Derf Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great write up Aaron, thank you for taking us along on your RTW ride!
    Aaron.S likes this.
  18. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haha! I apparently have an open invite now if I'm ever back in Austria for a look around.
    nzrian and Blumtnman like this.
  19. powderpig

powderpig Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    They were happy to use your story and experiences to build their brand awareness/value...they need to come across with some product assistance for you. KTM's marketing department seems to be either ignorant or simply clueless.

Come on KTM, give Aaron some assistance...his and RTWPauls threads have been instrumental in my decision to buy a KTM in the near future.
    td63 likes this.
  20. NoelJ

NoelJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure they have any interest in helping. KTM doesn't really have any competition, and they intend to keep it that way. GasGas is theirs now, like Husa and Husky. The guys at Beta must be nervously checking their six.
    Kato gets hammered for not supplying bikes to Obi-wan and his sidekick and they seem to have done OK anyway with sales/growth/market share. Great company in many ways, frustratingly inconsiderate of their customers and best salesmen in other ways.