New Zealand RTW and back on a KTM500exc.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Aaron.S, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got my bike back from the shop. I got the forks done as one was leaking and valves checked . It's been 300hrs since the rebuild and they were still in spec.
    I also put indicators on the back again thinking the cops in Aussie will be a bit stricter than Mongolia.
    My tyres aren't due In till next week so I decided to head up North a bit.
    It was kinda surreal to be back on the bike and in travel mode again.
    I think it took me twice as long to pack.
    I stayed at a little place called Lancelin.
    There are some decent sand dunes in this area that people drive,ride and sand board on. 20191026_140846.jpg 20191026_135339.jpg 20191026_143542.jpg
    The weather is perfect and the bikes running sweet so happy days.
    Time to pack up the tent and get back to it
  2. cidi

cidi cidi Supporter

Oddometer:
    So happy for you. Thank you for the great trip report. The last pics jerked on my heart... as we are looking out the window with 23F and a winter storm in full swing....
    Safe travels!
    shuswap1 and Aaron.S like this.
  3. DerekP

DerekP n00b

Oddometer:
    How did you get your bike shipped to OZ in a wooden crate? I'm shipping my 990 from Christchurch to Brisbane in December and they want steel only - no wood what so ever....
    Enjoying you ride report; It's a goodn!
    Gary goes likes this.
  4. Aaron.S

Oddometer:
    It has to be wood with a stamp on it to be approved for shipping. I didn't crate it though. They did it in Vadivostok.
    I used a 690 crate from the local KTM dealer when I shipped from Auckland to Santiago. Wooden base. Cardboard top.
    From Toronto to London Air Canada just strapped it on a metal pallet.
    I just heard NZ changed their fumigation laws on Sep 1st as a guy I know was using the same guy Yuri in Vladivostok to try ship his bike to NZ and after 3 weeks gave up because Yuri couldn't get the correct paperwork or requirements needed.
    He ended up heading to Japan and will ship from Korea. I'm interested to know what it's going to cost you and which carrier you will use.
  5. Aaron.S

Oddometer:
    First of thanks to all the people who have reached out to me in the last couple weeks offering a place to stay and contributing towards my journey.
    Apparently my last post was against the rules and hey I get it they can make their own rules for their own site but I'm not impressed so since they can delete and edit my RR as they see fit yet I don't even have the ability to delete peoples comments on my own thread along with still wanting 50 bucks to be a super supporter after I've brought them 450,000 clicks I think I'll pass on writing my RR for now.
  6. craigt

craigt I just wanna ride

Oddometer:
    @Aaron.S I am so sorry to hear that. You have been an inspiration to me. If you end up doing an RR elsewhere I along with lots of others I am sure would love to know about it.
    Safe travels
    cidi, DCrider, SmilinJoe and 2 others like this.
  7. headstaller

headstaller Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks again Aaron for the awesome RR...
    yokesman likes this.
  8. cidi

cidi cidi Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same here very sorry to see the moderators not being supportive of you. I certainly enjoyed your great RR over the years, and I can fully understand your position.
    Thank you for all the time you invested in the RR I truly appreciated it and hope you will continue to have great trips and adventures.
    BLucare, Aaron.S and Bunyip1260 like this.
  9. Hohmie

Hohmie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm glad you're back!
    I couldn't believe it when this was locked.
    Ride On!
    snail01 likes this.
  10. Bunyip1260

Bunyip1260 n00b

Oddometer:
    What a shame, one of the best ride reports in a long time. All the time and effort that goes into keeping a ride report up to date, only to get shot down.
    Best of luck with the Aussie adventures Aaron.
    Franque, Digger.Jeep and snail01 like this.
  11. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I missed the part where Aaron broke the rules by asking for $$, oops, that one should be well known by everyone posting RR's on here. But having said that I haven't read the rules on page 1 in years so I'm sure I've broken a rule or two too. He's done his apology so all should be good and now he can keep the soliciting to facebook or something and keep this RR going.
  12. radmann10

radmann10 Derf Supporter

Oddometer:
    Aaron are you back? We need to know how the story ends!
  13. Aaron.S

Oddometer:
    I know what it feels like to be in China now.
    North Korea perhaps. Ha
    It wasn't just about breaking the rule which I didn't know about btw ( Still my fault for not reading them).
    I would however like to say a couple of the moderators I have been in contact with were very nice and got the thread unlocked. 20191028_123559-01.jpeg 1010616-01.jpeg
    For some who posted comments which are no longer there I didn't delete them.
    Enough said.
    Here are the photos I had put up after I left Perth to head north for a few days while waiting on my MotoZ rallz tyres from JTR here in Aussie.
    Cheers to the people with the positive comments and feedback.
    Let's get back on track with the next RR.
    Oh I did find out that out of 30000 Ride Reprts mine ranks 62nd in the most viewed. Useless bit of information for the day. Ha
    chinditone, Blumtnman, td63 and 8 others like this.
  14. radmann10

radmann10 Derf Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great RR, and photos! Welcome back!

I just saw the Motoz tires at an adventure rally last week, and am impressed with them. Let us know what you think?
  15. Aaron.S

Oddometer:
    I headed south from Perth down to Margaret River and I stayed with a friend I've known since I was at school.
    What a wonderful area it is.
    With a stunning coastline, beautiful beaches, awesome surfing and over 200 wineries producing 20% of Australia's premium wine with only 3% of the crush I can see why he has decided to live here.
    He has a business there called Wine for Dudes so not only did I do a tour with him one day I felt like I was on a wine immersion visit the whole time I was staying at his place trying different wines and learning about them.
    No wonder It took me 9 days to muster up the motivation to leave.
    During that time I did day trips up and down the coast just exploring the area, a couple lazy days and I even got to swing a golf club for the first time in years. I wasn't overly stoked hunting my ball down in the trees thinking about snakes mind you.
    I finally did muster up the motivation to leave and headed down to Cape Leeuwin which is the most south-westerly point on the mainland.
    From there I continued on and after a stop at one campground but finding out it was 35 for a tent I found a cheeky little spot to free camp.
    The next day I went to The valley of the giants and did a treetop walk. I don't normally do stuff like that but my friend recommended it so having saved on the nights before accommodation I decided to do it.
    It was a very nice area.
    When you think of Australia you often (well I do) think of long straight roads in the heat and desert but the last couple days have been great riding through scenic forests.
    The weather has also been great for riding with it been between 20-30C but it has been pretty damn windy most days. Well we are nearly caught up but I need to pack up my tent and get going for the day.
    Oh one last thing. It's been quite unbelievable how many offers I've had from people all over Australia since I've been here for a place to stay or catch up for a beer. I can't take all the people up on it but thanks anyway it really is pretty awesome and appreciated! 1010636-01.jpeg 20191104_113719-01.jpeg 20191106_154245.jpg 1010704-01-02.jpeg 20191111_121945.jpg 20191112_092331.jpg
  16. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Nice! Wheelie thru the vineyards, great way to crush 'em!
    Thanks Man...
    BelgardaBuddy likes this.
  17. NoelJ

NoelJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beautiful pics, Aaron! I sometimes think of the whole place as a scene from Mad Max or a shot of the Finke race, but the coast and forests are gorgeous. The Tasmanian pictures that show up occasionally are equally scenic.
    Really, really glad to have you back and glad I could contribute a little and feel like I'm part of your ride in some small way.
    Aaron.S and BelgardaBuddy like this.
  18. philthyphil

philthyphil Nomad

Oddometer:
    Glad you’re back!!!

:dllama:
  19. BelgardaBuddy

BelgardaBuddy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great picture of wheele! Stoked to have you back.
    Aaron.S likes this.
  20. radmann10

radmann10 Derf Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love the kangaroos on the golf course, don't see that in AZ.
    Aaron.S likes this.