New Zealand RTW and back on a KTM500exc.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Aaron.S, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Blumtnman

Blumtnman Rider

Oddometer:
    Hooray you're back, about time one of the best threads on here resumed. Fantastic pics as usual, ride safe and keep updating :clap:clap:clap.
  2. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn @Aaron.S, didn't see this pop up in my feed and have missed everything since this post. Crazy that you had to deal with more shipping BS, but so glad it turned out ok and your bike didn't end up mia. Can only imagine how relieved you were to see your bike in the crate.

Catching up now, glad to see this going again and can't wait to read your continued adventures as you ride Australia :thumb
    Aaron.S likes this.
  3. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Now this is the post I've been looking forward to reading :nod :nod Great to see you next to your bike and ready to hit the trail man. Super cool that MotoZ is hooking you up with a set of tires, a buddy ran one of their knobs on the rear of his 500 during a (failed) multi-day ride we attempted back in September and the thing was great in the hard pack and rock of the desert - they make good rubber.

Knobby side down man :ricky
    Aaron.S likes this.
  4. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    great to see you back, that alls well.
  5. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Guess I'm kinda glad I missed the drama :lol3 :lol3, but even happier that your RR is continuing @Aaron.S :thumb.

Killer pics man, though it's a world away from your current locale, it makes me seriously want to head south and ride Baja. Winter doldrums are always tough in the PNW, even if there's good skiing on the mountain.

Great shot of you pulling a horn mono through the vineyard, not many wineries/vineyards would allow that...LOL. You should tell your friend that the exhaust from the katoom will make those grapes extra special :rofl

Funny as $hit to see kangaroos on the golf course, do they do anything to the golfers wandering around, or are they just hanging out watching the game unfold?

Awesome to see this going again, need something to entertain me whilst the rain falls and the damn darkness hits before I leave cubehell.
    Aaron.S likes this.
  6. Hohmie

Hohmie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man, so glad you're back posting here! i thought I would have to sign up for other forms of social media to follow along.
    Keep on riding and stay safe!
    Aaron.S likes this.
  7. horsti

horsti Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool, Aron is back from deportation !
    THAT saved my day.:super
    Aaron.S likes this.
  8. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
    A lot of screwed up stuff in this world but at least its back to right on this thread
    Aaron.S and liv2day like this.
  9. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Go hit Baja!! The Roo's just hangout. I got told to keep a bit of distance if it was a big male and one had a little growl when I got close but then just hopped away like a good Roo should.
    juno, MannyUrrego and liv2day like this.
  10. Aaron.S

Oddometer:
    I headed into Albany to get some supplies for the next night camping and when I was getting ready to get on my bike I heard someone calling my name and I turned around as a guy walked up and introduced himself and pointed to a business card he had left on my bike. He had been following my travels for a while on Insta and saw my bike as he was driving by so stopped. We had a chat for quite a while and he told me about a good little area to check out so I back tracked 30 odd K to an area called West Cape Howe and I camped at Shelley beach for the night. Fantastic little spot but it was pretty breezy.
    The next day I carried on to Bremer Bay where I had intended to stay but it was super windy and after having an awesome campsite the night before, it still been pretty early and not really wanting to stay in the caravan park which seemed the only option I continued on.
    My short day turned into a pretty long day doing over 500k and I found a place pretty late in the day to camp at Four mile beach. The site was very private and sheltered as it was tucked in the bush but no view of the ocean. There were toilets and a shower so she was going to do the trick just fine as after a few days without a shower that sounded pretty damn good.
    I rode into Esperance the next day and right before I got there my bike started to miss and then cut out just as I rolled into a motorcycle shop.
    I walked in and asked if there was some shade somewhere so I could work on my bike. In some places I've asked this and got a No even after buying oil from them and just wanting to do a change.
    I was relieved to get a Of course right around the back and do you want a cup of tea or coffee?
    Luckily It was just the positive lead connector to the battery that had broken so it was an easy fix.
    I then went to fuel up an a elderly lady next to me says It looks like you've come a long way.
    I'm not sure if it's because I've gone 4 days without a shave or I'm overdue for a haircut but I reply Do you mean today or in general?
    By this stage she is looking at the stickers of the flags from the countries I've been to on my bike and asks is that were you have been?
    I say yes and then tell her briefly about my route and trip.
    As we talk her eyes start welling up and she is wiping tears from them saying things like that's amazing and my late husband had motorcycles so I've been around motorcyclists a long time.
    She walked into the store and then comes out hands me a receipt for my gas that she had just so kindly paid for.
    Sometimes Thank you doesn't seem enough.
    From Esperance you can get on the beach and ride up the coastline about 20k to a place called Cape Le Grand but when I got there the campground was full.
    I continued on to Lucky Bay which was spectacular but the campground was also full. I talked to the host there and he told me the rangers in the park are on the look out for people wild camping and caught someone the day before at 5.30 am so they are out early. I scouted around and there weren't really any places to hide and camp so I rode back to Esperance and stayed in a campground there. The first one wanted 38 for a night for site without power. Crazyness. The second was cheaper at 30 and I didn't have much choice as it was getting late so I took it.
    As soon as my helmet was off they guy in the site next to me offered me a cold beer so between the guy helping me at the bike shop that morning, the lady paying for my gas and this guy giving me a cold beer I decided Australia wins the kindness award for the day.
    Good on ya Australia I nearly feel bad about some of the comments I've made in the past about you as I've watched us play sports against each other.... nearly.
    If you look closely at the photo overlooking the bay with the road in it you can just see my tent at the bottom. 1010750-02.jpeg 20191112_145637-01.jpeg 20191112_150152.jpg 20191114_143642-02.jpeg 20191029_142009.jpg 20191112_143627.jpg
    juno, makad, DesertRatliff and 25 others like this.
  11. liv2day

Oddometer:
    I would love to do it again, spent 22 days there back in '18 and it was incredible. Baja will be a permanent part of life later, hope to get back down there and ride again before that happens (better as I still have ~20 years to go before "later in life" happens...lol).
  12. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Damn @Aaron.S, reading this post truly just made my day. What a moving moment - to have that experience and file it away for something to remember when things get a bit dark.

I haven't seen a close-up shot of your front fender before - that's seriously incredible man. You mentioned turning your bike into an ornament when you're finally done, I'd do whatever it takes to ensure that fender is preserved. Seeing all those flags on there is astounding.

Love all the shots from where you camped and rode, what a beautiful part of Australia.

Looking forward to the next update man, keep the knobby side down and travel safe :ricky :thumb
    Aaron.S and dano619 like this.
  13. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad your back Mister!!
    Aaron.S likes this.
  14. millsy1050

millsy1050 n00b

Oddometer:
    Unreal read, if a solo bloke on a dirt bike can do it then I'm really running out of excuses
    Vectored2adv and Aaron.S like this.
  15. SmilinJoe

SmilinJoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad to you are back up and sharing your adventure with us. The scenery in Australia is just amazing. Spent several months in the Townsville area and the people were just absolutely splendid. Carry on mate and be safe.
    Aaron.S likes this.
  16. Aaron.S

Oddometer:
    I would of liked to spend a few more days around the Esperance area but the one thing I'm coming into is some of the campgrounds are full and you need to book online. My problem is I never quite know where I'm going to be so it's hard to book anything in advance.
    No matter I headed up to Kalgoorlie to catch up with one of my good friends that I've known since I was about 8 but I haven't seen him in 12 years so I was looking forward to that. It was a hot ride up there with the temps around 38.
    Kalgoorlie is all about gold and boomed back in the 1890's with the gold rush. 20191116_105020.jpg 20191116_105722.jpg 20191117_125652.jpg 20191117_130751-01.jpeg 20191120_130534.jpg 20191117_124808.jpg
    The next day he took me to the super pit where he used to work and it's pretty impressive. If you look closely you can see the slip in the middle of it that shut some of it down.
    The next day we went for a drive into the outback and to a little damn to catch some Yabbies. The flies were plain insane.
    It reminded me of the day in Mongolia when we were going to camp by a river but the mozzies were so bad we had to carry on.
    You can see in the photo on my mates wife's leg the flies and that's just after about 10 to 15 seconds of not brushing them away. It would be impossible to think about trying to cook something with them around. I hope they aren't going to be like that to often.
    My friends lived here for years and he said it was more than the norm.
    It was a stinking hot day and hit a high of 44.5c (112f) which broke a record for November here.
    I was pleased not to be on my bike and it makes you realize when standing out there with the hot air blowing just how quickly you could be in trouble if you broke down in these temps alone with limited water and no cell.
    We also checked out Lake Perkolilli which isn't a lake but a flat area of red dirt with a race track 2 miles around on it that apparently is one of the oldest tracks in the world with the first race been held in 1914.
    I did a bit of maintenance on the bike just going over the wiring making sure nothing looks like it's about to wear through from rubbing etc and I replaced the front pads, changed the oil and cleaned the air filter. Nothing major but a little once over before I continue north tomorrow as I'm going to head up then across the Great Central road towards Alice Springs.
    The road just north of here was closed a couple days ago due to fires but it should be all clear by now.
    It's cooled down a little in the last day and the forecast is not so bad for the next few so I'm hoping I'll follow the cooler weather across the Great Central road or at least that's what I keep telling myself that's what's going to happen.
    That's about it from this part of the world so catch ya's later.
  17. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
    That first foto of the dig is kind of 'Erzbergian'. An if ya gotta shows flies couldn't have picked a nicer back-drop.
    DesertRatliff and shuswap1 like this.
  18. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Good update @Aaron.S! That mine is nuts, @elron hit the nail on the head - looks like a nasty version of the iron giant in Austria.

I assume the 'yabbies' are those crawfish looking things in the net? Look a bit larger than the crawfish I'm used to, but not quite as big as lobster? How'd you cook 'em - boil or steam?

Those flies are nuts, no thanks.

Looking forward to the next one man, hope your travels north are safe and the knobs are down :thumb
  19. Aaron.S

Oddometer:
    I headed north to the Great central road.
    I had planned on staying at lake Ballard and doing a loop to Leonora but there wasn't any fuel at the town where the turn off was so I just kept going.
    I probably would of just made it but it wasn't worth it worrying about running out the whole time.
    I did stop off at a little ghost town and see the Hoover house which was built by the US ex president Herbert Hoover when he was mining here.
    I rode until late afternoon and just pulled of the road and found a little clearing.
    The flies were nuts so I waited until just before dark and cooked up dinner.
    I didn't have my fly on the tent last night and the stars were out and on form. Amazing.
    The sun rose about 5.30 blinding me and with the temps already rising I was packed and on the road before 6.30 to face a 585k day of having a hairdryer in my face with the odd bit of dust.
    The dust was minimal as I only saw about 10 cars all day.
    The road was wide and pretty good so you could sit on 100 to 110 the whole way. There were a few little thick parts and lots of washboards but nothing to bad.
    It's just the heat. I'm feeling pretty lucky though as it's around 37C but the guy at the roadhouse said it was over 40Cs a few days ago.
    I'm hoping I'm following the cold front ha.
    I'm staying in Warburton tonight at an enclosed campground behind the roadhouse. $15 for a night so not bad and it's nice to have a shower after a long couple days.
    It would be even better if they had beer but it's a dry town with a lot of Aboriginal's living here.
    I mean who would want a cool, crisp, ice cold beer after a long day in the heat on their bike?
    No not me. Never.
    I would much rather have one of their $4 waters or $7 cokes.
    Check out the road train. Not a heap of fun to pass but worse been eating dust behind it. 20191121_140933.jpg 20191121_142501.jpg 20191121_135949.jpg 20191121_170357-02.jpeg 20191122_134546.jpg 20191122_075138.jpg 20191122_085738.jpg
  20. rider911

rider911 Shortcut Navigator

Oddometer:
    Absolutely awesome ride mate.

The enclosed campground is obviously there for travellers protection, unfortunately the Abos get out of control on the grog and nobody is safe. Hence the dry community but they still sneak it in.
    Not that I enjoy the extreme costs that these outback service centres charge, you just got to be thankful that they are there at all. I wouldn't live there for any amount of money. I paid $3.50 per litre of fuel last year at a remote community about 250km south of where you are now, but these people make our adventures possible so good on them.

Its a shame you have timed your travels here coming into Summer, heat, flies, drought and fires are dominating this time of year. And you missed climbing the "Rock" by a few weeks.
    Aaron.S likes this.