New Zealand RTW and back on a KTM500exc.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Aaron.S, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    I live in a very nice area in S-California. A couple of weeks ago I got back from a 3 day trip, parked in my driveway and a Methhead walked up and took my tank bag while I was 20 feet away. So, sorry, this just isn't an Aussie thing. It's a symptom of a much larger problem of the general lack of accountability-immediate reprisals.
    Anyway, I'm going to donate to the cause because Aaron represents the best in Adventure Riding and I'd like him to keep going.
  2. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    In South Africa it is called democratic shopping:-)
    flexiflyer, BLucare, DavidM1 and 2 others like this.
  3. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    So glad to read/hear your bike's been found @Aaron.S. Sucks you've had to endure this episode and now have to deal with logistics in getting her back, sorted, the lost luggage, etc; but what a relief to have at least had her found.

Looking forward to reading how it goes when you get to your friend's place :thumb
    Aaron.S likes this.
  4. anadel

anadel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    it might be the case that Advrider won't allow any fund raising publicity on this thread, given the recent kerfuffle
  5. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm currently sitting in the airport about to leave to Sydney onto the Gold Coast.
    The last few days have been a whirlwind and I've been overwhelmed with support and kindness in a good way.
    Mentally I'm exhausted.
    The bike was recovered quickly due to the the park rangers and police going above and beyond with their efforts along with them seeing how much exposure this bike was getting on social media.
    I believe talking with the locals also helped them as the old bush telegraph was in full swing.
    I was even on radio Darwin live doing an interview.
    David White the manager of the campground has been absolutely amazing by putting me up in a hotel and covering all my food expenses while there.
    He also is paying to get the bike from Amata to Yulara.
    The first quote for the round trip of 400k was 2600 aus. Absurd.
    Rex Spencer a local who knows Toby Price and their crew has stepped in and is doing it for just a small fee to cover fuel and then take it to Alice Springs for free.
    Thank you Rex.
    They were even going to pay for it to be shipped to the Goldy as that was my original plan.
    I've had a day to clear my head and think about it also talking to people and I might actually get it all fixed in Alice as there is a top notch bunch of guys there with great skills that can make sure the bike will be right.
    I mean they race the Finke they know their shit.
    This week I'm going to try put some pressure on KTM to help.
    I have sent an email to the marketing guy who did the blog on me recently that works in the Austrian HQ so let's see the reply.
    The gofundme was stopped when we got to a number we thought would cover the repairs.
    I'm not trying to make money from this ordeal.
    Unfortunately due to New Zealand not been affiliated with GoFundMe and I need a Australian drivers license with a bank and address here there is a strong possibility that the funds will be returned.
    Something else to work on in the next few days.
    I truly can't thank everyone who has supported me in any way enough. The response from around the world has blown me away and I feel humbled.
    I've said it before but one low life will not take away the kindness I've experienced in this country nor will it ruin my dream and I will complete this journey.
    Cheers guys!!!
  6. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    You stopped being a citizen of only New Zealand, when the rest of the world adopted you....
    Let me know IF I can ship anything you may need from the USA via PM.
    shuswap1, steved57, outbacktm and 4 others like this.
  7. anadel

anadel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Aaron, if you are ever planning to visit Sydney CBD or go bikeless for a few days and need a secure parking spot or place to work on the bike you are always welcome to park the bike next to my 500 in my secure garage, 10 mins from the CBD.
    Aaron.S and Cantab like this.
  8. outbackflyer

outbackflyer Of.

Oddometer:
    P
    That’s a good plan Aaron, glad you got onto Rex , he is a good bloke, He will do the right thing by you, also our mate caleb Alrich from “moto Mechanix “ here in AliceSprings is a Finke champion and good bloke with a thriving business,if you’re looking for someone to rebuild your KTM then Caleb would be a sound choice. Help is always here if you need it, regards john.
    BelgardaBuddy and Aaron.S like this.
  9. BLucare

BLucare Inmate At Law

Oddometer:
    Off-topic: Aaron is a US citizen? That's a fun fact!
  10. SmilinJoe

SmilinJoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did the Park Rangers or Local Police catch the piece of shit who kidnapped and raped Tess?
    NoelJ likes this.
  11. Aaron.S

Oddometer:
    Yup I have dual citizenship.
    juno, skibum69 and BLucare like this.
  12. Aaron.S

Oddometer:
    Yes but with it been stolen in Northern Territories and found in South Australia they can only do him for possession but then he can say he just brought it with cash from his uncle. Gut feeling is not much will happen.
    SmilinJoe likes this.
  13. jdubb75

jdubb75 Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is just d@mn sad! But, at least you got her back and have a lot of people in your corner to help with getting you and her back on the road. I hope the gofundme snafu gets worked out!
    Aaron.S and NoelJ like this.
  14. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got US/Canadian citizenship. Very handy:D
    Aaron.S likes this.
  15. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    So truly glad to read this @Aaron.S. Man, what an ordeal to go through. The outpouring of worldwide support is fantastic and definitely deserved in my opinion - you've provided countless hours of enjoyment with this report.

Looking forward to watching the progress of getting Tess back to her traveling state. Knobby side down man and safe travels :ricky :thumb
    outbacktm likes this.
  16. steved57

steved57 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow so damn glad to see you got your bike back
  17. outbackflyer

outbackflyer Of.

Oddometer:
    Glad to see your bike arrived safely into AliceSprings this morning Aaron, although looking a little ravaged at least it’s safe.
    Aaron.S and skibum69 like this.
  18. Aaron.S

Oddometer:
    One step closer to home.
    Here's the Amata Police with my bike loaded ready for Rex to take it to Alice Springs
    I got an email back from KTM saying that they are willing to help me but I'm unsure as to what extent at this stage.
    Harold at Giant loop was happy to send me new bags.
    I had people reach out from four different bag manufacturers willing to hook me up with their bags which is fantastic but I've been really happy with my setup so no point changing now.
    Besides my connecting flight been canceled in Sydney while we were seated on the plane and having to get a room late that night because the next flight wasn't until the following day all in all I think things are coming together as well as they could be.
    I even have a bike to check out the beach on thanks to my friends at Giant Goldcoast and a KTM500EXC at my mates place I'm staying at if I get the itch. IMG_0690.jpg 20191130_142455.jpg
    Thanks again for everyone's support.
  19. powderpig

powderpig Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Aaron...glad to hear progress is being made!

The kindness you've paid forward is now being paid back to you. What a wonderful world this would be if everyone understood that simple principle.
  20. Aaron.S

Oddometer:
    KTM got back to the shop in Alice Springs and said they are willing to pay 500 towards the parts list the shop sent to them and a discount on the rest of the parts that was quoted but didn't say how much.
    Never look a gift horse in the mouth but I'm feeling a tad disappointed with them as there weren't that many other parts needed but I really shouldn't.
    It's not their fault that the bike was stolen but I have to say the campground has helped me out more than that and more than I feel they needed to.
    I'm curious on your thoughts?
    I'm feeling really happy about leaving the bike in Alice though as everyone I have dealt with there have been awesome.
    Giant loop sent a bag out today so hopefully that turns up by next week.
    Holeshot graphics out of Sydney are putting together some new graphics.
    Nomad adv no longer had the file so she will be getting a new look.
    Everyone is helping me get back on the road so now all I have to do is what I'm not great at and be patient.
    I'm in a pretty great area to sort this situation out though and I'm still super thankful that at least I got the old girl back.
    Braap... out
    juno, Mahhbechh, Jeffo232 and 15 others like this.