New Zealand RTW and back on a KTM500exc.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Aaron.S, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The silver fern has been accepted as a symbol of New Zealand’s national identity since the 1880s. To Māori, the elegant shape of the fronds stood for strength, stubborn resistance, and enduring power. To Pākehā (New Zealanders of non-Māori descent), the fern symbolised their sense of attachment to their homeland.
    It has been worn by our national rugby teams since 1888, and its associations with the military are almost as long. First used by New Zealand troops fighting in South Africa (1898-1902), the fern symbol continued to be used to identify New Zealand units during both world wars and subsequent conflicts. The symbol’s greatest emotional impact of course comes from its use to adorn the headstones of our war dead.
    Cut and paste as you can tell by my normal style of non proof read misspelled dribble.
    roadcapDen, BLucare, TaMPerer and 5 others like this.
  2. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sweet new graphics @Aaron.S; really like the flag and assume those are fern fronds (or maybe palm fronds)?

Again, so glad this is turning out the way is is :nod
  3. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Brilliant.
  4. powderpig

powderpig Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Reminds me of the time I was walking through the Indianapolis airport and I see coming towards me a group of the largest men I've ever seen. As we get closer, I realize it's the New York Knicks in town for a game with the Pacers.
    BLucare, DesertRatliff and Aaron.S like this.
  5. Aaron.S

Oddometer:
    I went for a spin on one of the new Giant electric bikes yesterday.
    I've never felt so fit haha.
    Pretty cool with the pedal assist and it was sweet to check out Surfers Paradise. 20191206_120245.jpg 20191206_111947.jpg 20191206_125903.jpg 20191206_130117.jpg 20191206_120103.jpg
  6. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got the KTM colors going for the bike!! Nice!!
    memento13, Aaron.S and BLucare like this.
  7. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Sweet pics @Aaron.S, imagine it's tough to be somewhat idle while Tess gets sorted. But hell, talk about a great place to be on the idle side :lol3:lol3

Beautiful beach and the terrain looks really neat; have heard the pedal assist bikes are damn cool too.

Keep us posted and enjoy the brief down time man :thumb
    Aaron.S likes this.
  8. duggyb

duggyb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    that ebike looks pretty sweet Aaron, Glad to hear of the support you have gotten, hearing how Harold supported you and how much you like the coyotes just secured my purchase for a set of them, i was looking to upgrade my main bags. I like to support gear companies that support riders. I have a possibles pouch and rogue dry bag so excited to get the coyote as well and tie it all together.

Cant wait to see the bike all done! ride on!
    Aaron.S likes this.
  9. Aaron.S

Oddometer:
    I flew to Alice Springs today. (Tuesday)
    There aren't many good flights from the Goldy so I found the best option and took a bit of a risk as I had to book 5 days ahead or the price was a heap more or really long lay overs but the parts hadn't turned up yet and were due to come in Monday.
    I figured If they came in on Monday or Tuesday it would be all good as I was going to take a day to put my bags on sort out my gear and give the bike a bit of a run in after the top end anyway then all going well probably head out Friday.
    As of end of Tuesday the parts still hadn't come in.
    I'm unsure of what we are waiting on but pretty surprised they haven't shown up yet as I would of thought all the parts for a basic top end would of been in Aussie but apparently some were coming from Austria.
    There's a heat wave crossing Australia at the moment and the next few days here are around 41-43C. Fucking hot.
    I did get told the other day that KTM were also going to kick in 750 towards labour which is bloody fantastic.
    Keeping my fingers crossed parts turn up in the next couple days as well it's not exactly the Gold Coast here and I was getting used to my daily ride down to the beach and checking out the local talent.
    BillUA, GRAVELMAN, Jersey87 and 10 others like this.
  10. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good luck! Stay away from the fires!
    Aaron.S likes this.
  11. Aaron.S

Oddometer:
    Seems like we're waiting on the cylinder kit.
    Apparently the people in the warehouse have dropped the ball a couple times on getting it shipped out.
    It left late yesterday I believe and was on overnight post but that can mean 3 days by the time we see it.
    I would be a bit more pissed off if it wasn't 43c (109f) today and 44 tomorrow.
    Not looking forward to been out in that heat but with the next 10 days showing above 40 around here I'm going to have to deal with it sooner or later.
    Little fucker took off everything like reflectors and even my Giant loop heat shield.
    I woke up last night to a group of drunk Aborigines yelling and fighting in the street.
    It's pretty easy to understand why so many people hate them in some parts of Australia they just don't do themselves any favors.
    20191218_110256.jpg
    DC950, MannyUrrego, BillUA and 8 others like this.
  12. fnatic

fnatic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad to see there is progress!!. (was there much serious damage or lots and lots of things?)

And yes sometimes the loud, ignorant and lawless minority totally mar it for the rest.
  13. Aaron.S

Oddometer:
    Nothing Serious. It's more my piece of mind at this stage mate. I needed to pull the head and cylinder to have it checked and since it's apart and KTM have kicked in some help I might as well just get it done now.
  14. Aaron.S

Oddometer:
    Few hours after my last post the parts turned up!
    Now I'm waiting on the graphics and number plate which was sent last week. Fingers crossed!
  15. Pastapete

Pastapete Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hang in there Aaron. Went for a ride with some mates on Monday and the conditions even here in Queensland were blast furnace like... It's going to be a long hot summer!
    Aaron.S likes this.
  16. Aaron.S

Oddometer:
    Very productive day today.
    Vroomy put the girl back together and she's running now.
    I spent probably longer than it took him to rebuild my motor to put my graphics on and sort out my gear.
    I'm so happy to have him working on it.
    Not only is the top end done the rear shock got done along with new brake rotors and new rear tyre thanks to MotoZ. 20191219_171616.jpg 20191219_165538.jpg
    I think it was 44 or 45c here today but amazingly hotter south of here.
    Tomorrow I'll go for a ride early in the morning then do a oil change and I should be ready to get going the following day.
    This heat really is doing a number on my motivation to get on the move though.
    It's no joke and no hiding from it on a bike.
    I would wait it out a couple days if I saw a change in the forecast but there doesn't look like a break in it around here.
  17. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks good! Great to see everything coming together for you.
    Aaron.S likes this.
  18. Aaron.S

Oddometer:
    Thanks!!
    skibum69 likes this.
  19. fnatic

fnatic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking awesome mate!!!...... :clap:clap:clap:clap
    You'll be happier when you're riding..... even if it's through oven temperatures.... Pretty hot everywhere, but you're at the epi-centre so probably just have to grit your teeth and head north/east/west/south it will cool down eventually... (well north maybe not...)

How do you rate the Motoz tyre?
  20. jdubb75

jdubb75 Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tess 2.0 looking good!
    Digger.Jeep likes this.