New Zealand RTW and back on a KTM500exc.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Aaron.S, Oct 21, 2016.

1. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats getting back on the road!
    Maybe I missed it, but which Motoz rear is that?
  2. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, another thumbs up seeing you back on the road!:thumb
  3. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    RallZ
  5. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wasn't really looking forward to the 540k to Port Augusta in the heat so I thought I would get an early start to beat the heat and I was on the road a bit after 5.30am in the dark yet even at that hour it was still 29c. Crazy.
    Mother nature countered my move and treated me to a stiff headwind.
    Damn you mother nature it's not fair when you are playing with more cards than me.
    I was pretty worried about the Roos but with no traffic on the road I sat on the middle center line with my eye's peeled and was so stoked with that headlight!
    I stopped briefly to check out the sunrise and took a few minutes to take in and appreciate my surroundings.
    It's times like these I often wonder how the F did I get here but knowing as soon as the sun rose so would the scorching temps so I didn't muck around much.
    I pulled into get some gas and when i went to lube my chain I noticed oil all over the chain then looked closer and it was over the cylinder leaking down.
    My heart sunk... holy crap.. I thought the worst and thought I had blown a gasket quickly checking the sight glass and luckily it was still showing.
    I pulled my bike over to some shade and took the seat and tank off to get a better look and I found the best possible scenario and noticed the vent tube from the rocker cover to the airbox had come off.
    Thank F!!!!!
    I couldn't imagine what I would of done in BFE 20191224_104935.jpg 20191224_110415.jpg 20191224_154247-01.jpeg 20191224_090102.jpg had it been worse.
    I replaced it filled up hit the road again.
    When I got into Port Augusta it was about 38c but with a little breeze it seemed quite nice really compared to the last few days.
    Still I was pretty beat and when I inquired about a room I also asked about gas gas stations up towards the Flinders and the guy said oh they might be closed because it is Christmas tomorrow.
    I totally forgot and lost track of dates and days again.
    Well that's a good enough excuse for me to treat myself a present and get a room but I should of thought ahead as today (Christmas day) I went to get something to eat and everything was shut in this town. No fast food joints or anything was open so all I had was what I had on me which was some muesli bars a apple ,orange and one beer from the few I brought the day before.
    To be fair I've got pretty fat over the last few months with not much riding so it will do me good.
    Tomorrow I'm heading south and camping by the coastline somewhere.
    Another heatwave is coming in a few days and it's supposed to get to 44 here so I've decided not to head up into the Flinders in the heat.
    Wishing you all a merry Christmas and thanks for joining me for the ride this year.
    mokhtario, DC950, Allucaneat and 25 others like this.
  6. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Merry merry, my flight offshore to work today was cancelled due to high winds and high sea states offshore. Do you want some of the snow I'm traipsing around in up here?:lol3
    Aaron.S likes this.
  7. BOOTLACE

BOOTLACE Bikie Scum. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hah!
    You must be thinking what a rude prick I am just pissing off without even a goodbye!
    What happened was, I rode my bike past yours and parked around in front of the cafeteria. Grabbed another coffee, had a chat with an old mate, and walking back, you’re riding out!
    Thought I’d mayhaps run into ya somewhere along the road, but alas, no.. Got a wee bit chilly along the coast there. Had to put some warmies on.
    In Colac tnite,$15, which is a bit more reasonable, early out of here tmorra, as it’s going to be getting into 40s again. Hope to be home before lunch.
    Probably need to rethink the Bairnsdale plan, the fires in East Gippsland have taken a turn for the worst, evacuations etc. Poor buggers.
    Will PM you my phone number and address.

Cheers! Good to catch up!

Boot.
    Digger.Jeep and BLucare like this.
  8. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought it was a little strange as I came back from the shitta and continued to pack up then looked over and saw you had gone.
    I figured I must of been to slow for ya. No biggie no worries.
  9. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been doing some back to back days and getting my way across Aussie at a pretty good clip.
    I stopped off for a night at Mac park which is a racetrack that had a three day event on at the time with some vintage bikes racing and I saw some pretty cool old bikes and met some great people.
    I'm probably traveling to fast for most that visit Aussie but once I get going if I don't see somewhere I want to stop and camp I just keep riding.
    It's been so hot if there isn't shade for your tent or yourself it's hard to think about stopping early and spending the rest of the day sitting around my tent twiddling my thumbs.
    I get bored.
    I'm also feeling the itch to get back to NZ.
    I did have a fantastic campsite last night by Portland Victoria and the ride along the Great Ocean road was pretty spectacular yet busy but I was so happy to finally have corners.
    I found a free place to camp after a pretty long day at Steavonsons falls but just as I got my gear off, cracked a beer and rolled my tent out a ranger came through ( Super nice guy) and advised me to move on as a storm was coming through and there was some dry lightning ahead of it.
    As of writing this it probably would of been fine because I stayed about 40k away and the storm kind of fizzled out but with what is going on all around this area and Aussie in general with all the fires I thought for once I'll listen to the powers that be. 1010782-01.jpeg 20191228_181943.jpg 20191229_102314.jpg 20191230_115316-01.jpeg 20191230_113632.jpg
  10. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing - definitely one of the finest trip reports and would make a good book as well. Really impressed with KTM and I'm sure those tight arses will gain handsomely in sales.
    roadcapDen and Aaron.S like this.
  11. BOOTLACE

Oddometer:
  12. cats whiskers

cats whiskers Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Aaron, Great to see Tess is back, looking lean and mean too!
    We met early December at a Maccy D's in Surfers Paradise -me on an overloaded KLR- while you were waiting for the rebuild to be finished.
    As time and wi-fi allow, I'll be working my way through your ride report. Totally inspiring stuff. Lovin' the pics too.
    I too am off to Auckland on Sunday 5th for a month or two.
    Ride safe mate.
    Aaron.S and Digger.Jeep like this.
  13. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Just looked at a map of the fires in Oz, holy crap are they having a tough time of it and summer's coming on!
  14. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. MeinMotorrad

MeinMotorrad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jesus. Stay safe Aussies.
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  16. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks and have fun in NZ mate.
  17. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes it's been devastating some areas and I'm having to miss out and change my routes.
  18. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ended up in Port Albert for a couple nights as one of my closest friends from when I was a teenager dad was camping there with his GF.
    It was fantastic to catch up with him and nice to get a couple free nights camping as you are allowed to park your RV or caravan at the boat ramp for two nights. No tents but there was a patch of grass next to his caravan just big enough for my tent so I set it up late and took it down in the day.
    From there i headed north through the Tarra valley up past the Thompson damn towards Mansfield.
    Because of the fires I couldn't go further east.
    It was the best day on the bike in Aussie so far.
    Perfect weather, no wind and quite scenic along with a lot of gravel roads and not much traffic.
    I lost it on one corner after thinking I was in a video game and ended up in the ditch still upright but my leg was sandwiched between the bike and the bank that had rocks in it.
    I didn't fall off but came to a stop and thank goodness my knee pads in the pants took most if the impact but holy crap it hurt still and got the old cold sweats for a bit and have a bit of a lump on my knee and swelling just above where my boot finishes.
    Oh tank decal got a little bit ripped .
    After 131,000k I can't complain if that's the worst little incident I've had huh.
    The bikes running really sweet.
    Great to have new rotors and that rear suspension done.
    I stopped to take a photo and a couple guys on bikes stopped to see if all was okay.
    I said yes and then one said Hey are you the guy that got his bike stolen? That's me I said so they pulled over then came and had a chat for a while.
    Amazing how many people found out about it through social media on the Australian motorcycle camping FB page.
    I've got a feeling I'm going to have one stiff knee tomorrow so I'm going to go walk on it a bit now to keep it moving.
    Till next time.
    20200102_104540.jpg 20200102_121359.jpg 20200102_125004.jpg
  19. BOOTLACE

Oddometer:
    I have two mates in Bemboka, in the Bega valley. Both of them still have houses, but both lost their sheds and everything inside. Tom lost 9 bikes, Dave 7. (Including 4 mint bevel Ducati’s....) And of course a lifetime of tools and work. But they ARE alive...

This morning all holiday tourists on the NSW south coast were asked to go home. Now ( because only one winding mountain road is open) we have a 200 Km+ traffic jam... through heavily forested country, with no traffic management in place. This in itself could turn into a major tragedy.

The weekend is looking BAD.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01...-being-trapped-in-burning-fire-truck/11836474
    SmilinJoe, BLucare and Aaron.S like this.
  20. BOOTLACE

Oddometer:

Hah! Nice around here eh? That’s why I live here....:1drink:-)

(If the knee has swelling, get onto some anti inflammatorys pronto! ) And if it’s really shite, I’m close enough to come pick you up with my Ute. Spare bed here, no worries.