New Zealand RTW and back on a KTM500exc.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Aaron.S, Oct 21, 2016.

1. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    Hey BOOTLACE is that Dave with the purple GT? I'm going to load both the LeMans and The GS/PD in the ute tomorrow just in case. Sorry for the hijack Aaron, please choose your route carefully. Check in both here http://emergency.vic.gov.au/respond...0078125,-37.248914367632416&tm=1577947419336# and here https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/fire-information/fires-near-me
  2. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Such a bummer for your mates.
    Appreciate the offer but I'm sure it's going to be good enough to ride since I can walk on it.
    I heard from a camper today that in one town there was 3k queue for gas and no power in the town.
    People couldn't get money out or use the eftpos.
    Another place 4000 people were trapped.
    Not sure how accurate that was but there is some terrible situations going on atm
  3. BOOTLACE

BOOTLACE Bikie Scum. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes. Dave Doust.
    I’ve been trying to get some info on the welfare of Mark and Debby Parker, who live in the bush out of tathra, ??????
    gperkins likes this.
  4. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    Oh shit, I see Dave about once a month at the Tathra pub. Your other friends I have no idea, Tathra so far is not overly impacted, Saturday all bets are off.
  5. BOOTLACE

Oddometer:
    Cheers mate. Get somewhere safe.
    gperkins likes this.
  6. Aaron.S

Oddometer:
    What a difference a day can make.
    Yesterday was pretty near perfectly clear and I woke up to smoke today.
    I went to a lookout but as you can see well you can't see.
    Not much point sticking around here as it's just getting thicker. 20200103_095848-01.jpeg 20200103_104620.jpg 20200103_123554.jpg
    SmilinJoe, Allucaneat, elron and 7 others like this.
  7. Flexo

Flexo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Aaron, I have been loving reading your ride reports but only check in occasionally, tomorrow is really a day to take it easy and not venture into the bush anywhere in the east of Vic. You have probably seen the Vic Emergency app, if you haven't download it before you go any further.

https://www.emergency.vic.gov.au/respond/?=&bbox=146.38870239257812,-37.884608857503785,148.11904907226562,-37.07928445197301&tm=1578050119134#

Things aren't looking good in our neck of the woods tomorrow, as others have said all visitors have been asked to get out of eastern Vic and there has been a constant procession and multiple relief centres set up to look after visitors and locals who have had to evacuate. Best you relax beside some big body of water for another day or two and play it safe.

Should have mentioned that anything east of Mansfield in Vic has been declared a state of disaster (first time that has happened, so you aren't allowed back in) and NSW have declared a state of emergency but not sure what that means there. Even your mates in NZ are enjoying a bit of this smoke now with it blowing over the ditch.
    Aaron.S and KLRalph like this.
  8. Pastapete

Pastapete Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There were 3000 tourists and 1000 locals trapped in Malacoota, but the navy evacuated 1000 people by sea today. I camped there a couple of years ago, and remember the road in as narrow and winding through the forest, it will be closed for at least another two weeks. Catastrophic conditions expected in both NSW and Victoria tomorrow, hope you can stay well out of harm's way...
    Aaron.S likes this.
  9. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hope the knee isn't too bad and you're able to keep riding without issue; still have a small knob of hematoma to the left of my right kneecap from going over the high side on my trail bike a couple months ago. Great to see you back out and riding again, though I know the fires have made it tough.

I feel terrible for all the Aussies and what everyone must be enduring with the fires, such a tragedy. The image of all the fires is surreal, keep safe...hoping for the best from across the globe.
    Aaron.S likes this.
  10. Aaron.S

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate it's feeling a heap better today and yeah it's such a tragedy.
    Feel so sorry for the people loosing their homes.
  11. BOOTLACE

Oddometer:
  12. BOOTLACE

Oddometer:
    Hey man! Wondering where you are?

Somewhere safe I’m hoping....

let us know.
    Digger.Jeep likes this.
  13. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    They're saying 2º rise in ocean temps there and 95% loss of kelp. That will have very long reaching effects!
  14. Aaron.S

Oddometer:
    I've spent the last couple days heading north to Goulburn then on the western side of the Blue mountains to Mudgee onto Armidale.
    The smoke was very thick when I left Golburn with ash all over my bike in the morning .
    I had planned on seeing the Capertee canyon which is the second largest canyon in the world (by width) but I couldn't see much from a lookout.
    I did ride through the valley to Glen Alice then Rylstone but again it was pretty smokey.
    Today as I headed north it cleared up a heap.
    One more day and I'll be back on the Goldcoast sorting out shipping back to NZ.
    Seems like a whirlwind but it's been long enough for me as I never intended to stay a long time in Aussie and I'm looking forward to getting in some awesome riding as I head down South in NZ.
    Still it will have been nearly 3 months by the time I leave.
    I've clicked up 9000k so far here.
    Shit the end is near my friends.
    I stopped when I saw this Monitor/ Goanna on the road and turned back thinking it was alive but nope road kill.
    There was a fatter one about 20ft from it as well but no tail.
    If any one gets the Adventure Bike Rider magazine you'll see my article on Mongolia published in the January issue.
    My first( and probably only ha) paid article.
    This thread hit a little milestone not long ago as we hit half a million views.
    Quite amazing really. Who would of thought when I started it?
    Not me that's for sure so once again thanks everyone for been apart of this journey.
    20200105_142524-01-01.jpeg 20200105_114747-01.jpeg 20200105_143159.jpg 20200105_143300.jpg 20200105_104633.jpg 20200105_141642.jpg

Attached Files:

DCrider, Jersey87, BLucare and 19 others like this.
  15. snail01

snail01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    WoW. You’ll remember this Aussie portion of your trip for sure.

Theft and continent wide fires.
    Aaron.S likes this.
  16. 531blackbanshee

531blackbanshee n00b

Oddometer:
    great ride report !
    i follow on insta as well.
    thanks for taking the time.
    safe travel and high adventures,
    leon
    Aaron.S likes this.
  17. Aaron.S

Oddometer:
    Well my mate Moritz came through with some stickers for me.
    If anyone is looking check out his site adv motostickers.com
    It's a minor thing but it does bug the shit out of me they had to pull all the stickers I had of places I had been.
    Also where they didn't have stickers I would often get bracelet type things with the countries name and have them around the top of my forks.
    That is one reason I put in a new front guard as it would bug me all day lookin at where the stickers were because of the faded plastic around it.
    I've been looking into shipping today and looks like I might be able to get it on a boat on the 18th. Arrives on the 24th I think. Need to confirm.
    Doesn't have to be crated which saves a headache.
    I had a great couple hundred k of riding yesterday. Just on road but not much traffic and a nice windy road. The next couple hundred sucked arse with traffic and about 50k of road works so speed limit 80kph.
    So back on the Goldy. 20200108_144223.jpg 20200107_103022.jpg 20200108_144223.jpg 20200107_103022.jpg
  18. radmann10

radmann10 Derf Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love the Gold coast area, great place for you to spend some more time!
  19. Aaron.S

Oddometer:
    When I was a teenager I used to go out on my XR 250 with my mate (Sandy) who also had a XR and we would be general dirtbags going around pulling wheelies with the odd out run the cop and hide in the long grass with the bike on its side until they left episode.
    Sometimes ditching school and heading out to a friends property building a jump and hitting it all day thinking we were pretty cool pulling off cheesy one handers and cross ups.
    So today was a fun morning catching up and going for a ride with him again.
    He also has a Ktm500exc.
    Funny as we just left a road works area and I popped it up on the back wheel without him knowing as he was in front of me then I see him pop it up and just like that I had to laugh and thought after all these years sometimes things don't change a hell of alot.
    He'll probably be annoyed about his not so great wheelie in the pic but it was just bad timing with the pic. 20200111_101416.jpg received_834414963666013.jpeg received_803325403464612.jpeg
  20. Dusty Rider

Dusty Rider Seeking Neverland

Oddometer:
    Hooligans...:clap Nice custom AS ride gear too. :D
    scatch and Aaron.S like this.