New Zealand RTW and back on a KTM500exc.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Aaron.S, Oct 21, 2016.

1. wizz

wizz Up a creek......

Oddometer:
    Beast. I just watched a program the other day really big browns eating mice at night in some lake in NZ. One had over a dozen in its stomach when they cut it open, gnarly. Fly fishers were getting em with mouse patterns on top water.
    Digger.Jeep and DesertRatliff like this.
  2. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup same in the rivers. I had a fake mouse lure but lost it a few weeks ago.
  3. wizz

wizz Up a creek......

Oddometer:
    Trophy hunting with those id guess, bigger bruisers probably more likely to take a fat mouse?
  4. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I get you, definitely have to support your sponsors but as Giant Loop doesn't do clothing would that open up your options for what you can wear? I've heard that the GL and Mosko owners are friends, maybe worth asking GL what you can wear?

The Mosko stuff is designed to go over armour, nothing built in. they want light and versatile. It all depends on what type of system you want. Personally I have the Klim Adventure suit for long distance and that works fine for me so far.
  5. dualadventure

dualadventure n00b

Oddometer:
    I want to say a big: "Thank you, for the nice write-up Mr. Steinmann!"
    Finally, I got it managed to rummage on time completely through it and haven't much more to say than a simple meekly: "WOW!"
    ---

One short note to the happenings in central Australia and the power of social media nowadays:

When the theft happened I was also in Down Under near Wave Rock for having a few weeks off with my better human half. There I recognized via the social media the action around your bike.
    Before midday of December the 3rd, whilst riding with the camper behemoth along the plains through the crazy heat, a pick up was overtaking me / was obviously speeding.
    One glance on his loading area showed the nice un-plated ass of a KTM:
    P1000663.JPG
    I immediately remembered the theft of your legendary bike! I put the pedal to the metal and followed this alleged bike-stealing-bastardo with my mobilized built-in-kitchen! *huntinginstinctftw*
    At that moment, I wasn't aware that Tess was already found. So I kept up with this speeding truck as long it was necessary for my girlfriend to get a few better shots of the trucks plate number.
    Later, when I had cell signal again and before calling the cops, I checked the web and found out, that Tess was already back in safety. Probably and mostly due to the help of normal peps out there, which have been supporting the cops/rangers. *thumpsup*

*phew* - what a short adventure-bike-action due to our mobile home camping/beer drinking holidays in Western Australia... ^_^

This little incident showed very well, that nowadays the adventure rider community has grown to a big group of mostly good peps and has the power to take big challenges, which an individual alone can't handle!
    ---

So, enough of destroying you wonderful thread here.

Ride safe,
    Tom from Austria (the hatchery of the orange beasts)
    Manny U, young1, BLucare and 11 others like this.
  6. Aaron.S

Oddometer:
    I like Klim as well.
    mokhtario likes this.
  7. Aaron.S

Oddometer:
    That's so awesome!!! Great story. Thanks for your efforts. Crazy how small a world it can be sometimes.
    Manny U and liv2day like this.
  8. wizz

wizz Up a creek......

Oddometer:
  9. BLucare

BLucare What could possibly go wrong?

Oddometer:
    Just listened to your new interview on Adventure Rider Radio today. Great stuff, mate :thumb Hope you're staying safe and healthy over there!
    Aaron.S likes this.
  10. Aaron.S

Oddometer:
  11. Aaron.S

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to listen. Glad you enjoyed it.
    Manny U and BLucare like this.
  12. Didado

Didado Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Aaron, I'm a big fan of yours. I bought a ktm 450 for travelling inspired by your experience :-)

Anyway, some one posted a link on the TET Facebook referring to the 'I SURVIVED: ROUND THE WORLD ON A KTM 500 EXC-F' article on Enduro21.

Then some sceptic commented: "Someting wrong on the distance, he wrote first big maintenance at 67000km / 870h. So he drive with an average speed of 77kmh non stop ??"

I just commented that you only had two lunch breaks the entire journey. Didn't go down well. :clap:y0!:imaposer
    BLucare and skibum69 like this.
  13. Aaron.S

Oddometer:
    There's always some fucker out there doing the math saying something is wrong. I have the photos to prove it and everyone on here knows it's true. I just sent the guy a message to not be a dick ha. Also you don't drive a motorcycle you ride it so he's a dickwad.
    Kyron, Allucaneat, cidi and 8 others like this.
  14. BLucare

BLucare What could possibly go wrong?

Oddometer:
    I assume the "sceptic" didn't understand that maintenance can be measured in KMs and/or hours. That, or he was trying to make a bad joke.

Aaron didn't do 67000 KMs in precisely 870 hours, non-stop :lol3 Christ on a bike.
  15. Aaron.S

Oddometer:
    I've learnt by now that no matter what you put out there on social media if it gets 100 likes there will be one person who has to have a moan, complaint or try to call bullshit. One in a hundred people are just plain dicks and that's the state of the world.
  16. philthyphil

philthyphil Nomad

Oddometer:
    You're giving people the benefit of the doubt. Its way more than 1/100. Thanks for putting it out the for the rest of us.
    DesertRatliff and Aaron.S like this.
  17. powderpig

powderpig Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    A whole new definition of the 1%.
    Kyron and Aaron.S like this.
  18. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    Naah don't think it was a negative post, I just read the post, it is someone that don't understand the concept of operating hours of the engine, vs actual human hours, he was thinking that you rode a distance of 67000km in 870hours and for his brain devoid of this knowledge of "operating hours" that did not compute. What surprised me is the number of nodders that got sucked into the same misunderstanding, just shows that these guys have never ridden small bikes with an operating hour counter, yet hangs out in a place called for smaller adventure bikes. Mind you there is guys that tackle the TET on the most impractical bikes
    Aaron.S and BLucare like this.
  19. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Plenty of idiots out there, a lot of why I gave up looking at Facebook. At least on here everyone is sensible.:lol3
    Aaron.S, ztaj and steved57 like this.
  20. DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff Tinker Tinker Ride Ride

Oddometer:
    A few dickheads here and there can and should be expected. It's the human race slowly becoming a majority of idiots that truly scares me.

Present company excluded, of course. :D
    Uly rider, Aaron.S and forgorin like this.