New Zealand RTW and back on a KTM500exc.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Aaron.S, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Didado

Didado Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now you have me confused? How are engine hours measured? Is it not simply the engine running? No matter if it is running idle or going at 10.000 rpm's?

You are suggesting there's a separate higher hour figure for actually riding 67.000 kilometers? How's that possible? The motorbike has to actually move for those kilometers to add upp. And to move the bike the engine has to be running?

But perhaps there's a different way of measuring engine operating hours that I'm not aware of? Maybe rpm's are measured and recalculated into a virtual engine hour instead of time? Please un-devoid my brain of lack of knowledge:-)
    MeinMotorrad likes this.
  2. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Old mechanical hourmeters used to start recording at a spec'd. RPM - say 1500. New ones, and the only ones I've ever heard of being put on motorcycles, simply count up as soon as some signal is turned on - like the oil pressure switch or similar. So hours = hours. I found the comment confusing as well.
  3. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    I had the old spec in mind which calculated RPM into account based on an old generator we used to have in the Telecoms rooms this took load and RPM into account and even at zero load it was counting the hours, somehow I always had in my mind, 2007 when I got myself a 450EXC and tried to figure it out, the KTM mechanic at the time explained it to me where the RPM was a factor I still see this debated today. But I got rid of 450EXC after three years and moved to a F650 Dakar easier to keep track of.

But considering this example, if I had 2 bikes and did 200 Miles at 40MPH in 5th gear on one bike , or 200Miles at 40MPH in 4th gear on the second bike still equates to 5 hours, but which bike worked harder the one with higher RPM to maintaining 40MPH or the one with lower RPM maintaining the same speed. I always had this in my mind from the KTM mechanic trying to explain in to me in 2007, but seems I am wrong the operating hours is simply calculated on distance/average speed I guess somewhere they simplified things or is yet another myth. I stand corrected
  4. mtncrawler

mtncrawler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1...Great interview. Particularly your description of each trip extension as you reached each "final" destination. Months to years...what a way to roll. :thumb
    BLucare likes this.
  5. Didado

Didado Long timer

Oddometer:
    No Worries and cheers :-)
  6. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Harold from Giant Loop has asked me to do a FB live on Wednesday 20th May at 8pm Pacific time.
    It's a first for me so hopefully my technically challenged butt can work it out.
    Giant Loop were doing Garage nights on Wednesdays where people would meet up and ride in the Bend OR area but since that hasn't been possible they have decided to try something online.
    So if you find some time on your hands around then come check it out and say hi.
    I'm more than happy to add anyone on here as a FB if you aren't already and interested in joining for a little while.
    Hope to see you there.
    I found a use for my kick starter during lockdown. 20200428_184117.jpg
    radmann10, DC950, SoPaRider and 12 others like this.
  7. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cool, the online chats with folks have been interesting. I'd love to take your in but the internet on this boat is crap and it will be way past my bedtime. Have fun, I'm sure it will be a good time.
    Aaron.S likes this.
  8. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great pic Aaron. The fish, the dirt bike, and the shotgun shell...feels like home.
    Aaron.S likes this.
  9. georet

georet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Man, Aaron that's a beautiful brown and a geeat use for the seldom needed kick starter. Wish I was there to help you eat it with a good beer or bottle of wine!
    Aaron.S and forgorin like this.
  10. Aaron.S

Oddometer:
    Helfel, DerekP, Digger.Jeep and 10 others like this.
  11. Manny U

Manny U Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Aaron.S likes this.
  12. mokhtario

mokhtario dirt, sand & rocks

Oddometer:
    Hey Aaron,
    just read the whole RR in 3 days. WOW, phenomenal! I too like my 500, light packing (GL) and no fairing to sum it up. But what i think you set yourself apart is how you dealt with all the "road blocks". I believe that was the key of your success and i learnt a lot from your experience. Thank you so much for all this. It was like reading an adventure bestseller book (you should put it in writing)
    Cheers brother (sorry, i feel like i know you now)
    Digger.Jeep and Aaron.S like this.
  13. Aaron.S

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to give it a read and your positive feedback.
    I'm glad you enjoyed it. Yeah the book thing has come up a few times.
    Food for thought.
  14. The Dude

The Dude Just Love To Ride

Oddometer:
    Wow what a beautiful fish!
  15. Hohmie

Hohmie Long timer

Oddometer:
    We will be listening/watching tonight!
    Aaron.S likes this.
  16. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Timing doesn't work for me, I'll be on an Airheads zoom meeting earlier.
  17. James59

James59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very interesting trip.
    1. 'we' don't have problem, moneychanger has a problem, not you. I wonder what his scam was.
    2. Food, those dumplings are common all over East Asia, I recommend Yangs in Shanghai-very nice.
    3. Toilet, it would be nice to have a Japanese Toto toilet everywhere, but not in Mongolia.
    Beautiful bike, and travel light is best, less to worry about. Mongolia is beautiful.
    Take care
  18. Aaron.S

Oddometer:
    Not really a scam it's just in a heap of countries the money you are exchanging has to be in PERFECT condition. No creases or rips etc.
    James59 likes this.
  19. James59

James59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have never had that with money, I have travelled widely. Thank you for letting me know. If I go to Mongolia I will remember that. Also, there is a website that can check Euro notes, but difficult when you are under pressure at the border.
  20. Aaron.S

Oddometer:
    I've had it quite a few times. Once leaving Georgia at the border they refused a couple of my $100 US notes along with a few times at money exchanges in other countries. My friend Frank also had it and posted a photo of the notes he got refused with on FB ( US 100s) and you wouldn't of hardly noticed unless pointed out there was an issue with them. That particular note I had carried because it had been refused before. No tears but slightly ruffled edge.
    James59 likes this.