New Zealand RTW and back on a KTM500exc.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Aaron.S, Oct 21, 2016.

1. That was great approach you took with the bike being stolen. I was just talking about it to one of my friends last night about it as he likes listening to podcasts and he said he would listen to it. He has been twice to NZ, take your time writing about it, I look forward to seeing it.
    Aaron.S likes this.
  2. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I would be interested in his feedback re podcast.
  3. Richparker

Richparker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi I'd be interested on your thoughts on how the MotoZ Desert HT and Rallz rear tyres compare. The last trip I did from Bulgaria back to the UK using the TET I used a 130 section Desert HT and found it to be pretty good with a very good wear rate but it was a bit vague on damp tarmac. I'm doing the Portuguese section of the TET this Autumn and was going to give the Rallz a try - how did you find it compared to the Desert HT and did you use a 120 or 140 width? Cheers Rich
  4. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you read RTWPaul's tire review on his website?
  5. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    No. I don't look at his site. Different styles.
    snail73, steved57, atomizer and 2 others like this.
  6. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Fair enough. Different strokes for different folks.
  7. brucemuzik

brucemuzik Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Aaron. Quick question about air filter maintenence on the road...

I read that you had 3 air filters. I'm curious how much air filter oil you carried and how hard it was to find air filter oil. Those Motul bottles are 1 liter and there's not a lot of space in a Giant Loop, right? How did you do it?

Second question is around your air filter cleaning routine on the road. What did you use to clean the air filters? Did you carry cleaner or use gas or something from a hardware store?

I'm asking becasue I also have a 500 and a Giant Loop Cayote and my air filter cleaning kit is taking up more space than my cooking kit!

Thanks

Bruce
  8. Wei Feng

Wei Feng Iron Man

Oddometer:
    I’m all ears on the filter maintenance routine as well
  9. BDG

BDG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Only a thought, but as Aaron rode alone he wouldn’t have riding in others peoples dust therefore potentially longer between changes.

I did 10,500 miles on a 690 riding to Mongolia carrying 6 pre oiled filters. They roll up pretty small.
    Fast1 likes this.
  10. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Riding lead or alone certainly extends air filter cleanliness. Plus keeping your hand out of the throttle reduces air volume intake and can minimize the "vacuum cleaning on high power" effect.

You can always spread out beyond the dust barrier or ride side by side with another but this might not be suitable for all spots around the world.
  11. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Riding through Labrador on my 640 I was in a lot of dust and carried 2 pre oiled filters. When I got to Quebec City I stayed in a hotel and washed them in the sink with regular soap. It worked fine. I carried a bit of filter oil in a small bottle.

Yes I cleaned the sink when I was done.
    [​IMG]
    AngusMcL, ilten, BDG and 3 others like this.
  12. Bengt Phorks

Bengt Phorks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    I either brought pre-oiled or often at a dealer they were nice enough to oil a clean one for me. I never carried actual air filter oil. I lie I did once in a little tube then ditched the idea. At a pinch I've used clean engine oil. Rarely.
  14. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow it's been quite a while since I've been on here.
    I hope everyone had a great New year.
    How lucky was I to have timed the end of my journey when I did huh.
    After lockdown I wasn't sure quite what to do and I ended up getting my class 2 truck license and got a job working on the Port here driving Straddles.
    I recently got signed off. I felt like I was a kid taking my drivers license all over but this time it was over 2hrs with someone from the Port scrutinizing my every move. Just my luck I had a hydraulic leak towards the end as well.
    They handle like a DR which is why I think they are yellow.
    Anyway it's not ideal but it's paying the bill's for now. 20201120_073903(0)-01.jpeg 1020431-01.jpeg
    I feel a tad guilty as the old girl hasn't been out much and has sat in the garage.
    I pulled her out the other day and rummaged around to find my riding gear and took off with no planned route.
    I tell ya I felt 20 years younger just for a bit being a little hooligan and pulling wheelies around my old stomping ground along with doing a loop through the countryside.
    She's still running sweet with 1830hrs on her and got the well deserved pat on the tank that she used to get every morning I took off on my journey.
    Hard to beat a bit of throttle therapy and to get back a bit of that taste of freedom I had become accustomed to.
    I'm planning on doing a overnight next week so something to look forward to.
    Wishing you all a fantastic 2021 and remember adventure right by going light, fast and far my friends.
  15. radmann10

radmann10 Old fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    Aaron, thank you for the update, was wondering what you are up to!
    Aaron.S likes this.
  16. BLucare

BLucare What could possibly go wrong?

Oddometer:
    :photog :photog :photog
  17. SELDOMSEEN

SELDOMSEEN Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Aaron, this has been an incredible read. I just blasted through a bunch (not all) of it, led here by a link as I’m looking at 500-EXC vs CRF450-RL
    Aaron.S likes this.
  18. skibum69

Oddometer:
    You want the KTM.
  19. Hohmie

Hohmie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep
  20. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    Well guys, I'm not so sure. If you've been following the Dakar, this year and last, you'll see that Honda is whupping KTM's bottom. Yeah, there's a lot of luck involved, but it looks like Honda finally has it down, and it's just a matter of time until Yamaha gets close. Of course Husky and Beta are also worth thinking about, but. . .

Anyway, as I see it, the KTM is significantly lighter, which would sway me, but the Honda should need a lot less maintenance, so. . .