New Zealand RTW and back on a KTM500exc.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Aaron.S, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate.
  2. TanukiPDX

TanukiPDX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I quoted @CourtRand lol ecuador.JPG
    exhausted and CourtRand like this.
  3. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rode to San Agustin ( Colombia) today. Had a some rain and fog over a little pass but it cleared up long enough to dry out before town. Then did a loop around to South America's 2nd biggest waterfall and some stone statues. The road was a little muddy in spots but all good. The picture with the horse is the little town before the waterfall. Not San Agustin

Attached Files:

4. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a good day without wind 350k maybe close to 400 I have had the light come on at 285k once. I normally start looking for gas soon after 200k just to be safe. Yesterday a lot of gas stations were out of gas I went by.
    David Crockett likes this.
  5. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    Devils trampoline

Attached Files:

6. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the support. I have snowboarded quite a bit around B.C love Canada
  7. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer. I had just left Quito. I'll be passing on great reports about Ecuador. Great people and fantastic riding!
    CourtRand likes this.
  8. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    Today I left San Agustin and rode to the Tatacoa desert. I'm staying in a little town called Villavija. I had some decent rain a couple times today. One time I pulled over for 10 mins . Next thing free little coffee in my hand. So far Colombia has been one of the friendliest countries. The last few days I have been travelling with another traveler ( Moritz) who's heading north as well. It's been good to have the company and be able to speak english.

Attached Files:

Bosnaexpress, KiwiPewe and MrKiwi like this.
  9. mesoman

mesoman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    More great updates .... man, you're making time! Took me six months to cover the ground you have! I spent week in San Augustin, did an epic Horse back ride out to those falls.
    Looking forward to more insight on Ecuador and Colombia. Tires? I hear Colombia is the go.
    As always, safe riding, rubber side down! :beer
  10. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    It would be nice to have more time like you did sounds like you did it right mate good for you. And so far yeah Colombia is great. Tires? Tkc 80 front just done about 13k I'll get a new one in a few days when I get to Medellin. Rear now have a mitas E07 all I could get in Lima but it's lasting well. I started with a tkc 80 rear.
    Boxall likes this.
  11. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    Today started off on a little back road for about 40k to the main road then a tight road over the Andes and 6 or so hours later ended up in a cool little town called Salento in the coffee region of Colombia. Nice little town and did a coffee tour one morning.

Attached Files:

N1k4, CaseyB, enduro16 and 14 others like this.
  12. Critt

Critt Rambling on

Oddometer:
    Could you comment on the giant loop handguards? They are huge, so I imagine they keep the wind off your hands well. What's their intended purpose other than wind deflection ? Is it cold there?

Thanks!
  13. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    Benduro likes this.
  14. 52xc

52xc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Many of us fellow 500 owners are watching this thread.i firmly believe my 500 could do a rtw trip easy and your thread is proving it. Kudos
    Benduro, exhausted, Samoadv and 5 others like this.
  15. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I did have a few people telling me I had the wrong bike for it and it won't do the distance . So many days I'm glad I'm on my bike not a heavy overloaded big bike .
  16. 52xc

52xc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's funny people where telling you that. Because I was reading countless thread posts where riders are wishing their 950 or 690 was a 500. I was all guns ho to buy a 690. Then went to try and lift it in the showroom. Um hell no. I know after a long day of riding I will struggle with the 500 let alone somthing bigger. Plus been reading tons and tons of posts about people getting insane miles out of the 500. Bottom line no perfect bike out there for all situations. I'd rather have a lightweight bike like yours with my garmin inreach se.
    KiwiPewe, Benduro, rkebent and 3 others like this.
  17. mesoman

mesoman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "Insane miles"? Commuters? Any links for Ride Reports where KTM 500 riders have gone OUT of USA or EU on high miles rides for extended periods of time? AFAIK, Aaron is the First to really put the bike to the test in places where you can die if your bike craps out on you. Big ups Aaron! :thumbup

100% agree about big heavy bikes ... but in the end depends how and where one intends to ride. I look for the middle ground here. I'm sure Aaron can verify that in S. America there is nearly always an easier "Paved road" alternative to many dirt tracks through the Andes and elsewhere. Sure, the big bike guys miss out on a lot of the most spectacular roads ... but even so, it's a spectacular ride even on paved roads. I would not recommend exploring the Uyuni (huge Salt Flats) solo on big heavy bike. But a few DR650's and KLR's have done the Uyuni . :nod

For sure no perfect bike ... except my Suzuki DR650. :hide

Aaron is an artist regards how light he is traveling. Aaron, are you sure you're not French? (lightest packers I've seen)
    I'm not able to pack that light, but my old DR650 can easily carry way more than I require. (I usually end up with 60 lbs all in) Most times for anything that's a road (by some definition) the ancient DR can make it. No, not with the elegance and ease of the KTM 500 ... but it's got a few advantages too. (near zero maintenance, reliable, simple to work on, strong rear sub frame, cruises comfortably at 70 mph ... for 10 hours/day .... plus very affordable ... and best of all ... expendable if all goes Pear shaped! :fpalm

Main thing is a trip to S. America or other far off destination is not just about the bike. Your life will be centered around your bike at times ... but hopefully your bike will not be your ENTIRE life when on the road. Lots more to experience and learn from. Looking forward to more KTM 500 guys getting out there on the lonely roads.
    robram, Brotherwolf, rpiereck and 2 others like this.
  18. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Uyuni salt flats were super fun on my bike nice 5th gear power slides. I'm not sure about the dying part if it breaks down but in certain places it would be a shittie situation to be in so at times I give the tank a rub and try not to think about it.
    I think the thing I like is that it allows you to go explore a little more when you get to some places. I couldn't imagine riding a bike I can't pick up if dropped and you are in a remote area. Having to take off panniers etc. As far as gear. You only need a few pairs of socks t shirts and undies. They sell stuff everywhere . It's not a fashion show out there. I have one pair of jeans one pair of shoes. Thanks for the support!
  19. 52xc

52xc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2012-16-ktm-500-exc-xc-w-high-miles-hours.1163490/
    Benduro and dooby like this.
  20. MotoPundit

MotoPundit MacGyver

Oddometer:
    Subscribed ! Great thread.
    David Crockett and Aaron.S like this.