New Zealand RTW and back on a KTM500exc.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Aaron.S, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rode to Medellin (Colombia) today it was about a 285k day but over a pass with a shit load of tight turns so took nearly 5hrs. The road was good so I had a bit of fun. The bike just clicked 310hrs and 22300k. There is a ktm dealer here so might be a good time to get the valves checked and a new front tyre before Central America. No bike pic. Stopped by a place known for the palm trees.

Attached Files:

Bosnaexpress, Cycletech and moto74 like this.
  2. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great ride report! Looking forward to following your adventure on a 500 EXC:clap For reference the 690 Enduro is about 50lbs heavier than the 500EXC out of the box. After that, it all depends on how much a person adds.:D
    Regards....just jeff
    Aaron.S likes this.
  3. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    Took the bike in for a spa day today. Valves checked and between my shit espanol and the mechanics lack of English I came away thinking none needed adjusting as he showed me the specs. Later one guy who did speak some English said one needed adjusting but there wasn't a charge for a shim. Either way after 320hrs and 22300k it's pretty good. I had one exhaust valve at 220hrs in Lima needed done. New front tyre and front sprocket. I was going to do oil myself but they did it for me free. I have to say yet again great service from a KTM dealer. The team here in Medellin Colombia were all so friendly and helpful squeezing my bike in for the service in a already booked schedule. They didn't have the front tyre I wanted but found one for me and fitted it. A big thank you to KTM Medellin. And no I'm not getting paid to say this but I'm sure they didn't charge me what they could of.

Attached Files:

wilfred, Dacquiri, enduro16 and 15 others like this.
  4. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    Front TKC 80 after 14000k.

Attached Files:

Benduro and exhausted like this.
  5. pdxmotorhead

pdxmotorhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd have to delete a "0" on that mileage for my 950..
    exhausted likes this.
  6. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm a metric guy so it is kilometers not miles. A lighter bike helps with tyre life for sure.
    exhausted and FlyingPenguin like this.
  7. DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff Tinker Tinker Ride Ride

Oddometer:
    Wanted to post and let you know I'm another 500 rider/owner following along and living vicariously through your endeavors. Keep up the fun and thanks for posting.

ps-really like the tank decals (go All Blacks!). Who makes them?
    Aaron.S likes this.
  8. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks and the decals are a one off. I came up with roughly what I wanted and a local guy in NZ made them up.
    DesertRatliff likes this.
  9. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a similar wear pattern on the Pirelli MT21s I used on the front of my 690. I switched to the Pirelli Scorpion Rally and am much happier. It is better offroad and on gravel as well as wearing nice and even on pavement. I cant say how long it will last yet but I have about 5000km mixed riding on it and can barely tell it has any wear.
    JJ
    exhausted, Sparrowhawk and gepenunes like this.
  10. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to know. Unfortunately in S.A you can't be picky it's take what you can get. It seems better in Colombia. Even in a big city like La Paz I had to settle on a 70/30 tyre that I changed out 2500k later when I found a better option in Lima. I don't want to carry a spare so it also depends on where you will be when it's worn.
    Samoadv and just jeff like this.
  11. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    I left Medellin for Bogota this morning. It was about a 7 hr ride with a quick late breakfast snuck in there. I had a little rain for the first hour or so. I stopped for gas and noticed couple drips of oil then looked around and I saw oil all down the side of the bike over the back tyre. The front sprocket seal or O ring had gone. They just replaced the front sprocket I had given them I brought in Lima. I topped it up with oil it was still just showing on sight glass. Rode to the Ktm dealer in Bogota and he told me it was the wrong sprocket. I'm not sure if that's why it leaked though. Luckily they had a seal and they were kind enough to replace on the spot. I kind of played the I'm homeless and screwed without my bike which really isn't a stretch. By the time I got out of there it was dark and I hadn't found a place to stay yet which wasn't ideal but it worked out. Long day sleep came easy. A big thank you to the KTM Powershop Bogota team!

Attached Files:

12. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bogota to Giron today it was about 7 hrs. The first few was a huge amount of traffic mostly heading in the same direction so there was passing at least but not great roads. Then it thinned out possibly because I passed a heap of it and the views started reminding me of Peru and Argentina. I hate to rush Colombia as the people are friendly the women aren't exactly bad on the eyes. I just got on the last sailing for the year on the Stahlratte on the 19th to Panama so putting in a few long days to get to Santa Marta then Cartagena.

Attached Files:

13. Sidehil

Sidehil On any Sunday

Oddometer:
    I'm sold on one those bikes, everyone said we would never make it to Deadhorse AK from the Tacoma Wa area on WR-250s. My ridding buddy said if two old guys could do it ( Big dog and Ding Weed) how hard could it be. It was long stretches on the way back where a 501 would have been a lot better. This thread just sealed that deal, now got to get it by the wife that I need three bikes. And I rubbed the tank on some of the stretches where we saw no one for hours and hours, not even a plane. Great thread!
  14. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thumbs up on the ride you did. The 510 is holding its own for sure. Good luck with the wife you could buy her flowers. I would go for I sold the other 2 and hide them.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    PackinDirt, jackbyo and jnowako like this.
  15. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    The WR250 would be a good bike for the Wife!
    jj
    exhausted and jjchopper02 like this.
  16. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    Long full day on the bike today. I was heading to Santa Marta and about 10k before is a place calle Gaira I saw this and decided to stop. I'm thinking I can do a couple days here pretty easy.

Attached Files:

Benduro, exhausted and ONandOFF like this.
  17. Comrade Art

Comrade Art Working stiff

Oddometer:
    Enjoying your updates. Post more Columbia pics por favor :thumb
    Aaron.S likes this.
  18. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's a few.

Attached Files:

19. Boxall

Boxall Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome ride! Does the 500EXC use any oil?
  20. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another from devils trampoline.
    Thanks and nope. I never have to add any between oil changes.
    Bosnaexpress, Benduro and rkebent like this.