New Zealand RTW and back on a KTM500exc.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Aaron.S, Oct 21, 2016.

1. mesoman

mesoman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Surprised you couldn't find some sort of rear tire in Colombia ?? Generally best place in S. America for tires at reasonable prices. Doubt you would find Mitas, Mefo or K60 but usually a few others to choose from. Just about any new rear (non knobby) would have got you to US border. Some guys bought some long wearing Kendas, IRC, Duro, ChengShin, in Colombia. Also some Pirelli, maybe Metzeler. Not sure about TKC, but not great choice for rear ... will be gone in 3000 miles or less. (so you might make USA on that??)
    Hope you get time to make it over to the Caribbean side of Cent. America. Beautiful.
  2. ADV67

ADV67 Alsace rider

Oddometer:
    Great RR, Aaron! I was wondering if you have installed a rear cush hub or if you ride the stock wheel hub?
    Aaron.S likes this.
  3. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks and stock.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    KoD likes this.
  4. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn't want a non knobbly. Why have a ktm500exc and stick a road tyre on it unless you super Moto. I did get a front tkc 80 in Medellin at a good price . Had I known the cost in Costa Rica I would of got a rear there but it's not always easy to predict wear on a tyre you haven't used before and it depends on the road and your right hand. I was hoping the mitas would get me to mexico city and it may of if I went directly there but I don't want to be limited on route choice because of needing a tyre.

5. mesoman

mesoman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    By "non Knobby" I guess I really meant a 50/50 tire. I used a Kenda 270 in Baja and was surprised how good it was (a 50/50 tire) especially in loose rocks, not too bad in deep sand. I had
    a IRC TR-8 knobby up front. That 270 Kenda did 6000 miles. (about 10k km) It cost $60 in USA, probably more in Colombia or anywhere in S. America. (100 to 400% import duty)

If you do wear out your rear Mexico City may have tires if you can hook up with the right contacts. Good group of Mexican KTM guys out there somewhere. They know the tire sources
    and service pretty well. Ride safe! Rubber Side Down! :clap
    Bosnaexpress, Benduro and oldmanron like this.
  6. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    After the last few days of rain I decided to make a B line for Nicaragua and some nicer weather along with the fact beer is heaps cheaper. Amazing the difference in weather a days riding can make. The boarder was a pain in the butt and really hot. Mental note never do a Central American boarder with a hangover it's not fun trust me. It did help I was with another traveler I had met from the crossing Neil who spoke better Espanol than me which isn't hard but I think he owed me since he was the one that had brought the big bottle of gut rot rum that we drank to pass time waiting for the storm to pass the day before. Never again ughhh . Now in San Jaun Nicaragua.

Attached Files:

Bosnaexpress, Benduro, juno and 2 others like this.
  7. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    A " day off " at the beach. Nicaragua [​IMG]

8. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heading over to check out a couple volcanoes on Ometepe Island on Lago Nicaragua.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    A closer look on Ometepe Island.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    I stayed in the boarder town Somoto Nicaragua and left at 630 am this morning as I wanted to do both boarders in a day and miss out on the bad boy of Central America ( Honduras )[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] because I'm running low on time and money. It went smoother than expected but I did pay a guy $10 at the first boarder to help out and he get the photocopies I needed and Aduana started for me. I don't normally like doing that but It worked well for me today and I didn't want to be riding into El Salvador at night. I arrived by around 3 to a really nice beach and went for a swim in the warm water then cold beer in hand feet up. Life's good.

11. Critt

Critt Rambling on

Oddometer:
    Aaron,

Could you please comment on the fuel mileage that you get with the EXC? Thanks,

-James
  12. 52xc

52xc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this thread Aaron. It's completely made me rethink my 500. I ride extremely tight singletrack 6 months out of the year, was originally wanting a street bike as an "errand runner" and didn't want to rack up miles on my 500 as I was scared to use it up prematurely. But really struggling with 500 in the tight stuff. Now instead of buying a street bike I think I am gonna re dedicate my 500 and get something for the super tight stuff.
  13. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    Depending on head wind altitude all that shit I normally get 20k/L

14. Critt

Critt Rambling on

Oddometer:
    20-22 km / litre? So about 50 MPG. Not horrible... but I've seen claims online that people get 65 MPG at times on the big EXC. That's impressive!
  15. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    No worries and roughly up to 380hrs 26800k and valve needed adjusting once and 2 front sprocket seals so pretty good going ig might just get me to Oregon yet

16. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's with all my gear which I think is pretty good. Also gearing can make a difference along with your right hand

Benduro and Critt like this.
  17. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Great stuff Aaron, thanks for taking the time to keep us updated.
    Benduro, Dolly Sod and Aaron.S like this.
  18. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    No worries

19. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rode to Antigua yesterday (Saturday)and got to see a volcano have a little burp. Antigua is a great little place but was really busy with local tourists from Guatemala and was the first time I had a little problem finding somewhere to stay. I think it was the 4th place I got to and it was a little more than I wanted to pay but having a hot shower for the first time in maybe a month was like christmas coming early.[​IMG][​IMG]

20. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think google maps needs updating. [​IMG]