New Zealand RTW and back on a KTM500exc.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Aaron.S, Oct 21, 2016.

1. KLRalph

KLRalph Because KTMalph sounds funny

Oddometer:
    Awesome RR Aaron! I am amazed, not that you're riding a 500, but how small your kit is. Are you able to camp comfortably when you're not staying in hotels/hostels? It would be cool to see what you're packing on this long distance adventure!
  2. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    I normally have roll bag as well but that was a day trip so left it behind. I have been trying to go minimalistic though. You don't need as much as you think.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
  3. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    It's worth the effort to go up to Uaxactun

td63, LavaBull, KiwiPewe and 3 others like this.
  4. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a big day yesterday riding from Flores Guatemala to San Cristobal Mexico. Over 500k and 7 hrs seat time and a boarder crossing. Also I came across a few blockades where they had cut down trees across the road and put boulders there . Big que of cars and trucks with drivers sleeping next to them. I nudged my way through ok. One little town I got to had a blockade on each end of it and lots of locals in the main street I got alot of whistles and some howling as I nudged my way through the crowd. Maybe they haven't seen a KTM before :p Umm yeah I'm not stopping for some blockade. So in San Cristobal Mexico for a couple days. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. Plebz

Plebz Long time lurking

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate, no point rushing these things... haha

Yeah no doubt, he seems to have some pretty cool adventures.

Got a guestimate of how much weight you have slung over the back of the bike Aaron.S? Its the only thing I would be apprehensive about adventure touring on a 500 having cracked a subframe on a 2011 300EXC with a couple of years of normal enduro riding/racing. I imagine they have changed the design a little by now though.
    Benduro, KoD and 52xc like this.
  6. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not really sure at a guess around 30k.

7. tundradirtbiker

tundradirtbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great ride. Lots of snow waiting for you here. Navigation by phone only?
  8. 52xc

52xc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Curious if your doing a lot of open freeways or going out of your way to avoid them? That's the only thing I would cringe on my 500. Just cruising along with traffic at 70 plus even though I know it could do it easy..I'd be worried I'd hear a loud "bang" at sustained speeds for a prolonged time. But these KTM's sure do seem totally different than years past
  9. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes phone only. It's worked fine so far. Gave me a scare when it fell off doing about 80k I locked it up looking back watching it bounce into a ditch. Heart just sank I found it pretty easily and it worked with just a cracked screen. Thumbs up for my Thule case. I know not having a gps will limit me come Baja.

10. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why would you hear a loud bang . I have been running 14/48 sits on 105 to 110 just purring and now 15/48 because Bogota didn't have a 14 it lost a little of the 500 punch but now like today sat on 115 for hours no problem. It's not working hard. Besides been a fun bike and wanting to travel this style it's also been my point to prove to all the people that said you can't do it on the 500 it won't last. 29000k today still humming along ..touch wood. I think I need about another 70 hrs to make it to Portland so fingers crossed. Keep up the oil changes.

11. 52xc

52xc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am paranoid as I had a two stroke I did this on. I was cruising down the street one day and hear this bang. then bang bang bang. Thankfully it happned like less than a mile from my house.
  12. tomhislop

tomhislop Mud Mauler

Oddometer:
    Awesome ride man, great RR.
    I can vouch for the 500 exc motor, I have been in KTM`s for 20years starting with a 97` 400 sc, 520, 525 and now 500 ( so basically every new generation of big bore).These motors are bullet proof and collectively riding 0ver 60,000 km with a only a stator in my 400sc being the failure
    I rode 5,500 km across outback Australia a coupl weeks back including a solo Simpson desert crossing with only topping up 500ml oil once ( naughty I know) but the oil and air filter oil was in a bag that came loose and ended up in my rear tyre and burst both bottles so no oil changes for the old girl till she got home.
    The only issue I had was the fine vibration where I lost all feeling in both L&R index and fore fingers for week or so, but all good now
    I would recommend anyone using the 500 as a lightweight adv platform, you just need to wear your arse in to the seat.
    Keep up the great work Aaron and look forward to your next post mate, cheers
    Benduro, shampoo, sprouty115 and 3 others like this.
  13. shampoo

shampoo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have seen a few of those Simpson crossings on YouTube. Pretty impressive ! So I take it you just run with the stock seat ? I always figured the same.. Just let your ass toughen up and all will be good.

Cheers from -22c snowy Montreal, Canada.

J
    Aaron.S likes this.
  14. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I rode from San Cristobal to Salina Cruz which was not a very nice place. Just a pass through town for the night. I found out when I got wifi that my Farther had passed away . So today it was a short 200k ride up the coast with a deep heart and alot of thoughts. Finding a nice place just past Puerto Angel called Zipolite A swim and beer with lunch why not. Cheers Dad.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear you've lost your Dad.
    exhausted, macrae85 and Aaron.S like this.
  16. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Condolences...
    Aaron.S likes this.
  17. powderzone

powderzone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your Dad.
    Hopefully some seat time on the bike can provide time for reflection and healing.
    Aaron.S likes this.
  18. KLRalph

KLRalph Because KTMalph sounds funny

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear of your loss. I hope the happy memories will ease your sorrow.
    Aaron.S likes this.
  19. crownhorse

crownhorse Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    sorry for your loss.
    Aaron.S likes this.
  20. ljmotoadventures

ljmotoadventures Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So sorry to hear about your loss my friend. Stay strong.
    Aaron.S likes this.