New Zealand RTW and back on a KTM500exc.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Aaron.S, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got it mate! It was back when some muppet on FB was saying what I had done wasn't possible on a 500 without more maintenance.
    wilfred, duggram and pir8liner like this.
  2. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    FWIW, a link to this thread is a kock-out punch for putting the non-believers in their place.
    duggram and Aaron.S like this.
  3. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Yep, already linked it to a bunch of non believers quoting hearsay rumors. Interesting how some people continue to spout "facts" they have no first hand experience with.
    duggram, Aaron.S, Fast1 and 1 other person like this.
  4. pir8liner

pir8liner Long timer

Oddometer:
    FB RR link?
    I may have missed it earlier. Thanks
  5. Mercenary

Mercenary Mindless Savage

Oddometer:
  6. BronNowo

BronNowo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Aaron,
    quick question, wonder if you have to add any oil between your prolonged oil changes?
    Does oil level drop a bit?
  7. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No it never really used oil untill just before the first top end
    Longrodokie likes this.
  8. Wake up call

Wake up call Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Aaron, I am up in British Columbia
  9. Wake up call

Wake up call Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just waiting for spring to come because I can’t wait to hear about your next travelling adventure! I picked up a slightly used 2018 KTM 500, with 146 km, this past fall after reading your post! I look forward to putting some miles on it and I will be living my own mini adventures. Keep sharing your experiences with us so the rest of us, per-occupied in life, can visualize the world from the saddle! Some day I will take my full time grandson on a motorcycle adventure! Once I get him potty trained!
    Aaron.S and duggram like this.
  10. BronNowo

BronNowo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thanks, good to hear. I'm doing similar oil change intervals and I have to add a bit between, but maybe because it's cold and winter, so no all oil drain to the buttom, don't know.
  11. ChrisBryant

ChrisBryant n00b

Oddometer:
    EPIC!
    Aaron.S likes this.
  12. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm waiting as well mate! Great choice on your new ride and wishing you many ks of fun.
  13. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I couldn't put it off any longer and so I bit the bullet today and took my motor in to get rebuilt.
    So hopefully in the next week or so I'll find out how the bottom end is. Lots of carbon build up so I'll be doing a top end as well.
    I did notice a slip of paper in the wheelie case it was in from customs so they must of opened it and let it pass which makes me give a second thought to trying to do the same on the way back. So far the cheapest quote to ship it back is $800.
    Other than that I've been working and laying low getting some days in up on the mountain. I really haven't been thinking about the next leg of my journey untill recently and have been finding myself looking at maps and watching documentaries on the countries I'm heading to.
    That urge to be back on the road is growing which makes me wonder why I want to be homeless again. Ha. Roll on spring and summer my friends we have some interesting places to get to!!
  14. liv2day

liv2day Life is all about how you handle plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hell yeah, looking forward to checking out the next leg of your adventure @Aaron.S! In the meantime, here's to a bunch of snow on Hood :D :D
    Aaron.S likes this.
  15. dibbs

dibbs n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Aaron
    Ive just finished reading your report from the start, and wow is all i can say, what a journey youve been on, ill be hooked on this thread till you get back home now. I have a Husky fe450 with just over 100 hours, and i was worried about riding it on the road at constant speeds for any distance, and thought about a top end change at 120 hrs, but reading your report i think the bike will outlast me!!!!

Keep up the good work!
    pir8liner likes this.
  16. firecrotch

firecrotch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah I was thinking of selling my 500 exc because I wanted a 990/1190 for exploring and going distances but was dreading racking up a gazillion miles...until seeing this thread. Now since this thread I have seen countless people posting in other threads on how insanely reliable or insane miles getting racked up on their new gen Husky/KTM's .
    dibbs likes this.
  17. TahoeRider1

TahoeRider1 n00b

Oddometer:
    just discovered this thread...been reading it for about 2 hours....it's 2:30 AM...I gotta get to bed....

thanks for the great RR Aaron!!!
    joenuclear likes this.
  18. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    I had similar feelings when I bought mine in 2015. Now at 400 hours I only smile when the "high maintenance and repair" comments come up as they inevitably do anytime someone asks for advice on whether they should buy a KTM or not. Had a 690 and I spent as much time maintaining it as I do with the 500, though the 500 is easier to work on.
    firecrotch likes this.
  19. cbig

cbig Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer:
    So what's the damage on the bike and bill? Enquiring minds wanna know!
  20. oneBEARDtwoWHEELS

oneBEARDtwoWHEELS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah definitely interested what the results are going to be