New Zealand RTW and back on a KTM500exc.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Aaron.S, Oct 21, 2016.

1. BDMaha

BDMaha Mud loving street rider

Oddometer:
    Thank you Aaron for the great ride report which I have finished in these last 3 days. Learned so much and may need to read again. I have been planning the TAT for 2020 (possibly this September) which is how I came across this thread as Im trying to be as prepared as I can. My little ride plan is very tiny compared to what you have done, been doing; but it is something Im taking serious and I intend to camp as much as possible. I appreciate your honest and humble discussions of places you go, the people you talked to, especially the many many tire reviews you have shared with us. Thank you. im on a 2018 500exc....
    Aaron.S likes this.
  2. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    What kind of fight clubs are you into! :lol3
    Magus, Allucaneat, Aaron.S and 2 others like this.
  3. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your positive feedback mate and it sounds like a awesome trip coming up for you. A good plan is to not have a exactly set plan I've learn't.
    Go rack up some hours !
    wilfred and AussieEvo like this.
  4. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If anyone has a little time to kill here's a link to a podcast I was just on.
    Afterwards I thought shit why did I say that or why didn't I say this etc. Perhaps I should stick to writing then I remember I don't really do that either.
    Motor is apart and it needs new cam, rockers, full meal deal again. I'm doing the crank anyway but the cheapest so far I can find is 700. Total parts quote so far is 2800. Ouch. Lucky I've been working and laying low.
    https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...SIeZqwfGhIzOvpDtTC3uLpMQktIaJopV_Thqh7Oj9WXMw
    http://bendmotorcycleadventures.com...e3ihRPJtDtyuAcah0rdVOZ_z3T-hNN-UV_xt1GiSA4hUc
    mo_rider, Helfel, mutt465 and 3 others like this.
  5. melnik

melnik n00b

Oddometer:
    I mehannik motorcycles.I have EXC500 Six Days 2016.My city is Cherkessk,Russia. From Tbilisi to my house 500 km.If you ever go to Russia, send me a PM and i'll let you stay at my place and work on your bike in my garage for as long as you need.
  6. melnik

melnik n00b

Oddometer:
    Six Days my bike, other EXC500 just in my work. 20190207_135031.jpg
    wilfred, Caprug, dezertpilot and 7 others like this.
  7. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks for the offer It's much appreciated. I was thinking about heading up and checking out MT Elbrus so I'll be pretty close. I'll keep it in mind and flick me a message when you see me getting back on the road.
    wilfred likes this.
  8. melnik

melnik n00b

Oddometer:
    Aaron.S I'm waiting for you. I will show you the beautiful places of Arkhyz.
    снег2.JPG

Attached Files:

9. Sneeze Juice

Sneeze Juice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally caught up with this epic report!

Absolutely amazing journey so far, and love the bike choice. Probably not as much as Motorex though.

Can’t wait to see what’s next
    Aaron.S likes this.
  10. CodeOps

CodeOps n00b

Oddometer:
    We're in the exact same boat...... My main goal is to ride and spend a lot of time Idaho (just because it's beautiful) and just do a segment of the TAT for starters. I am quite busy with work so likely I won't do more than 2-3 weeks max in summer 2020 and then progressively grow my time dedicated to riding and TAT over the years. Good luck to you!! Former MX racer here, so I found Aaron's amazing journey while researching which bike to target and I have the exact same philosophy on lighter bike, lighter pack as he does and suspected the KTM 500 might be ideal. Husky 701 also on short list... But, the lighter the better IMO.
    shuswap1 and Aaron.S like this.
  11. KTM 500 EXC Six Dais

KTM 500 EXC Six Dais n00b

Oddometer:
    Estoy disfrutando mucho con su viaje. Mi moto es 500 EXC Six Days 2013 Germany....He recorrido Marruecos y España...
    Sin ninguna pega, ligera de peso y de paso.
    gracias por compartir este gran viaje.
    Saludos...
  12. McCarthy7

McCarthy7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm on page 57, right where he orders the Haan wheels- I bought a 250 EXC-F partially because of this thread- though up until this point, it's pretty obvious, and disappointing that KTM doesn't give a fuck about what Aaron's accomplished.
  13. dubtruker

dubtruker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would say KTM doesn’t want this bike used for this. They want us to buy the 690 and up. And a lot of people are falling for it.
    flyrodder and jdubb75 like this.
  14. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    Well they did not even want to sponsor Ewen and Charlie's adventure that's how 50% of the uninformed ended up believing you need a 1200GS to go around the world
    Bacchusman and jdubb75 like this.
  15. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe start a new thread for this discussion?
    ssor17 and joenuclear like this.
  16. dubtruker

dubtruker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed sorry.
    sprouty115 likes this.
  17. kvango

kvango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    wilfred, Shroza, Halen and 1 other person like this.
  18. blkfd3s

blkfd3s Flowing

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the awesome pictures and documentation, one day if I ever get a break from work. On a up side I absolutely love my job.
    Aaron.S likes this.
  19. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guess who's back .. shady's back ... Big day today as I have my motor back. A big thanks to Steve (mechanic) and the boys at Gresham KTM for getting it sorted out. It's been great working with them. It's also been expensive but they helped me out on pricing and I guess it's that old saying .. You have to pay to play. Well now it's time to sort out this playing shit. I've found a shop in Tbilisi where the guy speaks English which is a huge bonus so I'm freighting the motor to him and all going okay they are going to throw it in and get it started. The motor is untested. I have a heap of faith in Steve's work so I can't see it been an issue but just in case something happens I can take parts with me.
    I'm looking at leaving 5th of May. Most of the flights from here kinda suck and are pretty long so I'm going to break it up and head to London for 5 days or so. Dave from Adventure Spec got in contact with me and has offered to throw me some tyres,chains, clothing etc which is bloody great of him so I'll pick that stuff up on the way through as they are based over that way. I would love to say it's been an amazing season up on the mountain but I've had fewer days in than any season in the past. I have had a few good powder days up there though. Oh I did get stuck on a double chair (Blue chair) for over 2hrs. They had to belay us all off. The first hour was just as it opened and it was stormy as crap so yeah not super pleasant but got a story out of it huh.
    It's back to this pay to play and I've been working for a couple guys doing kitchen, bathroom remodels etc so it's just been hard to justify taking a day off when I'll loose out on the money so it's been pretty much all work and the snowboarding had to take a backseat. I've been happy to get the hours in and I'm pretty handy on a tile saw now but my head is somewhere else.
    Added photo of the last parts list.
    Well I still have a bit to do but it's getting closer....

Attached Files:

wilfred, DC950, roadcapDen and 14 others like this.
  20. kvango

kvango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Except for the crankshaft, not too bad . . . Did the journals show some wear?