New Zealand RTW and back on a KTM500exc.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Aaron.S, Oct 21, 2016.

1. climberevan

climberevan planning the next journey

Oddometer:
    This is an interesting side effect of using race bikes for travel. I bet in the next few years we'll have more reports of people flying around with their motors in the middle if RTW trips. Aaron is kind of a pioneer, but Paul is jumping on the bandwagon, and others are clearly inspired.

I have used my RFS for long trips, but nothing big enough to require significant engine work in the middle of the trip. I just do the work after getting it home, and then it's ready for another 8k mi or so without further attention.

If enough people start doing this maybe a standard method of motor transport and re-importation will emerge, with wisdom on which countries make it easier, etc....
    Fast1 likes this.
  2. DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff Tinker Tinker Ride Ride

Oddometer:
    Well, thanks to Aaron's findings, we all know just how far this newer XC4 motor can go and how far it could have gone. I'm much more inclined to just run mine...and keep running it.
    Aaron.S likes this.
  3. radmann10

radmann10 Derf Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you get the motor through customs yet?
  4. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No. Let's see what Monday brings.
  5. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fingers are still tapping on the motor but a couple more positive emails early this morning.
    In the meantime I've been on a bit of a buying spree replacing worn out camping gear.
    My MSR has done awesome but I've used the shit out of it and zips are starting to go along with getting thin in spots so it's due.
    I was super keen on the Nemo Dagger 2p tent but I never saw it on sale and MSR gave me a discount so I ended up getting the latest Hubba Hubba. I like how they changed the pole design on the ends where it splits.
    Also a new sleeping bag and I went a tad warmer with a 15F -9c Mountain hardware. I had the same bag before but it was a 32f and I felt it was a tad cold for me for a true 3 season. Side by side there is a big difference between them. New pillow and sleeping bag liner gees I'm about to go just camp outside the house tonight to test it out but nah gives me something to look forward to... sore hips again ha.
    Had a freak thought about midnight a couple weeks ago thinking it had been ages since I last got my Kiwi passport and so I got up to check and it's due soon. Too soon so panic stations the next day and I had to apply for another one which turned up today according to the fedex note on the door when I got home from work.
    Sometimes it's about those little things and I'm at the stage where I'm starting to think what have I forgot to do or put off for to long and I need to pull the trigger on them now.
  6. radmann10

radmann10 Derf Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love my Hubba Hubba you can't go wrong with MSR or Mountain Hardware gear! It will be great to see you back on the road.
    Aaron.S likes this.
  7. liv2day

liv2day Is Anyone Here a Marine Biologist! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hope the motor carp gets sorted soon @Aaron.S and you're able to get her installed and back on the adventure soon. Missed grabbing beers and whisky with you while you were back in PDX for the winter months, looking forward to following along as you continue this incredible journey.

Safe travels man :ricky :thumb
    Aaron.S likes this.
  8. Lancelb3

Lancelb3 n00b

Oddometer:
    Ditto'
    Aaron.S likes this.
  9. BelgardaBuddy

BelgardaBuddy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing gear updates. I find it very interesting, especialliy since the pack volume is limited.
    CrustyCrusaders and dmulk like this.
  10. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    +2 - top of the line gear with a long history of making quality outdoor products by both manufactures.

On shield experiences,, has anyone tried this set up?

Bunyip1260 likes this.
  11. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well it looks like we finally cracked the nut!!
    Fifty plus emals and a few midnight phone calls later and I think we have found a solution to get the motor released and it should be shipped out after the weekend to Rushmore motorcycles of Georgia.
    Huge piece of mind.
    I also came home to a big box of gear from Giantloop including something I haven't carried before which is a 7.6l or 2gal gas bag. I know there will be a few places I'll want to carry extra gas.
    I spoke with Dave Lomax from Adventure Spec a few days ago and they are still on board and happy to help out with clothing, parts for the bike and some tires I'm really happy to say.
    I felt a little weight come off the shoulders which is nice but there still seems like lots to do before I leave and I'm trying to work as much as I can while I can and happy to be working 6 days this week. I need the cash.
    wilfred, Kyron, dmulk and 17 others like this.
  12. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stoked the motor got delivered today!
    The guy at the bike shop just unpacked it and sent me a photo.
    They are picking up the bike tomorrow so everything is falling together slowly and to think you guys were starting to get worried....umm little more like me.
    I'm now starting to wonder if they will try to charge me duty on my damn checked bag. They might have a field day. I'll have a new chain ,sprockets (Supersprox, 2 front) , chain guide set, New Motominded Ultimate pro headlight (Think I'm over not been able to see through tunnels), New tent and sleeping bag, Oh new pillow turned up today. I like that Sea to Summit gear and I got the Aeros Premium and it feels super comfy. Couple tyres strapped to the bag. 4 oil filters, 3 air filters, new fuel pump and filters, new Samco hose kit, new pants ,jacket,gloves ,goggles.... hmm what else .. boots yeah just going to go back to the Tech 7's.
    They are the most comfy boots I've worn in the past and the new enduro version has a bit of grip on the sole. I had the Corozal on that last leg and hey they did the job but they are showing a bit of wear as to be expected but now a bit boxy around the ankle for my liking. They were a little hot but they were waterproof which is the one downfall to the Tech 7's but I'm going to be chasing summer all the way through to Indo and Aussie.
    The only thing they might miss is the new Giantloop bag that it's all been carried in. The boots are going to be a pain. Might have to just carry them and put them in overhead.
    I'm running out of room and it's a want not a need as I have two lists but I keep going back to the FMF page and looking at a new header.
    If I've forgotten something let me know because I'm sure there's something. IMG_3388.jpg
    juno, wilfred, rtwpaul and 20 others like this.
  13. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bike got picked up and another photo sent. I guess we are missing a gear shift lever and the springs for the header. Minor details and they should be in the bag so they might find them tomorrow.
    I also got an email last night saying my Tajikistan visa was approved.
    received_2028621210776538.jpeg Today was a great day!
    Dacquiri, wilfred, DC950 and 15 others like this.
  14. DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff Tinker Tinker Ride Ride

Oddometer:
    Woot Woot!! Glad things are looking up and you're back on track!
    Aaron.S likes this.
  15. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks!!
  16. headstaller

headstaller Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  17. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    This message is approved. :thumb
    Aaron.S likes this.
  18. Requiem84

Requiem84 Riding around the world @gravelforbreakfast.com

Oddometer:
    Rushmore!

We serviced our bikes there last year on our RTW trip. Problaby the best garage we ever ran into during our trip. Great mechanic, very meticulous and a very professional owner.

Say hi to Graham and Iwan for us:). If you mention the Dutch couple on the geavy Africa Twins they’ll know.
  19. samvspr

samvspr n00b

Oddometer:
    Aaron,
    I don't want to ruïne your day but please check the following article if you're bike is longer than 90 days in Georgia.
    https://solob.org/an-expensive-exit/

It's an article off a Dutch girl traveling her motorcycle RTW which got a fine for letting here motorcycle stay to long in Georgia.
  20. liv2day

liv2day Is Anyone Here a Marine Biologist! Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's effin' awesome @Aaron.S! Great to hear man, when do you anticipate leaving PDX for the flight back to your bike?
    Aaron.S likes this.