New Zealand RTW and back on a KTM500exc.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Aaron.S, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Ha! Most folks dont appreciate goons tracking mud all over their travel thread.
    DesertRatliff and skibum69 like this.
  2. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First post from the .. well nearly road.
    We worked on the bike all day replacing chain, sprockets, guides pipe, tyres etc and then when I put oil in it before I got to even press the go button I saw it dripping on the floor. More like a little stream . Ignition cover cracked. No point trying to play the blame game and point fingers I tried to go right into Zen mode and start working out my options.
    We looked at the cooler I packed it in and no sign of any hit. The case besides the crack looks okay. I'm getting it welded tomorrow as they reckon they can do it even been magnesium so I have nothing to lose and then get one forward shipped.
    It was a long day but tomorrow is another one onwards and upwards my friends.
    Oh check out that light and shiny pipe. I wonder what they look and sound like?

Attached Files:

3. Comrade Art

Comrade Art Working stiff

Oddometer:
    You have a positive attitude so the cracked cover is just another bump on the journey.
    Looking forward to the next stage of your trip :thumb
    Aaron.S likes this.
  4. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    JB-Weld? I bought a used 300XC some years ago and the PO had JB-welded the case cover. I ran the bike for 6 more years with it.
    climberevan, nzrian, Aaron.S and 2 others like this.
  5. snail01

snail01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    JB for sure. Won’t deform the matting surfaces like welding *might*

Aaron might not have any at his disposal though.
    Aaron.S likes this.
  6. liv2day

liv2day Life is all about how you handle plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Farg man, crummy thing to find after getting her together. That said, likely much better to have it happen in a shop where the options are much better than when you're out in the middle of nowhere with far fewer options.

As a couple others have said - JB Weld would be great. I've also used Quiksteel to fix a hole in the radiator caused by an errant stick, good stuff to have on hand.

Hope you're able to get her sorted quickly and that the new one arrives in short order.

Great to see the bike up and nearly there :thumb :thumb
    elron and Aaron.S like this.
  7. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Also have witnessed positive results with JB Weld on a case cover puncture from a shift lever. Worked flawless after meticulous cleaning before applying the JB and letting it cure sufficiently.

Seems with the fracture shown in Aaron's, it might be important to clamp the case cover together after applying some JB in the crack to minimize the gap at the mating surface. Then add another coat of JB on the external side of the crack after the first application of JB cures. You can file and/or sand the JB after curing between coats or if necessary for cosmetics.

Almost appears someone dropped the motor on the ground and it landed on that side... You would think that the lower fastener near the crack might have left a tell tale sign on it that could give a clue to how it may have happened.

Hope you get it solved easily.
    Aaron.S and DC950 like this.
  8. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The funny thing is I've carried JB weld since I left New Zealand up until now. Not long before I left the bike in Georgia one of the tubes split in my tool kit and made a mess. I didn't get around to replacing it or more accurately i just plain forgot.
    I think I'm at the age I need to write lists instead of relying on my crappy memory.
    I might be able to source it here but they seemed pretty confident that they could weld it and have done so in the past.
    Time will tell and it's Wednesday so hopefully it will be a wheelie good one.
  9. Pcq

Pcq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ll take note of the JB weld ; )
    Good luck looking forward to seeing you wheelie away again!
    Aaron.S likes this.
  10. AussieEvo

AussieEvo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Aaron , love the write up in remote.moto's website, sweet story of you sticking to your guns!! I can't recal the name of the mob in NZ that make them but what about the NZ made components that your cuz Chris Birch runs? I reckon they would look after a bro!! Could be a durable upgrade to ordering a oem cover. So stoked to follow your story, will you return via to NZ via Oz?
    Aaron.S and nzrian like this.
  11. nzrian

nzrian renegade master Supporter

Oddometer:
    JDWander and Aaron.S like this.
  12. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Yea passing through Aussie. One of my best mates is on the Goldy and just brought a 500 so I kinda have to.
  13. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No luck on weld due to where cracked was.
    I spent the morning calling around about the part. 10 days from Greece. No go. It was midnight in the States so I didn't want to wait. KTM headquarters in Austria had one but won't deal with the public. They suggested using their online help form.
    KTM in Vieanna said two days to get but won't ship out of the country as I am supposed to use a local dealer.
    I finally found one from a place in the UK that will ship. About 60 quid for part another 60 to ship. If it's not here by Saturday then hopefully Tues as shop will be closed.
    I wanted to hear the bike run incase something else was wrong so got a Georian version of JB weld and put the bike back together. (That fuel filter looked like shit.)
    Well time to hit the go button..... once no go... twice no go... thinking well fuel still has to get through the system. Third time ...... hell yeah it's a charm.
    I posted a video on my FB page if you want to see.
    Aaron steinmann.
    Here's a link to my little article.

https://www.remotemoto.com/articles/ktm500-review-aaron-steinmann/
  14. wilfred

wilfred juvenile delinquent Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode in the Dolomites and the Alps in June of 2017 with a group of friends. You can't beat the views. Ride on.
    Aaron.S and enduro0125 like this.
  15. wilfred

wilfred juvenile delinquent Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, over the last week with three track days squeezed in, I have caught up to the end of the beginning. Looking forward to the future posts. As a birthday present to myself, I rode in New Zealand in January. Ride safely.
    nzrian and Aaron.S like this.
  16. liv2day

liv2day Life is all about how you handle plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sucks about not being able to get the crack welded, but awesome she fired on the 3rd attempt! I hope the new cover shows up post-haste and that you're out and about in the very near future man. Figured the hosers at katoom HQ wouldn't give you any help other than pointing you to a forum - it's a wonder that these morons don't get the whole social media/word of mouth component of marketing. I know the morons I work for don't quite get it, maybe it's a corporate thing :lol3 :lol3

Great article @Aaron.S, good read and I liked the pics chosen...especially the wheelie in front of HQ :D :D
    Aaron.S likes this.
  17. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks but to be fair I didn't pick the photos as I told them to use whatever they wanted to from my Instagram .
    I appreciate the positive feedback though.
    liv2day likes this.
  18. nzrian

nzrian renegade master Supporter

Oddometer:
    Aaron, if you can get hold of some jb weld, it is good stuff.

I have it in the intake ports of my DR 650 to help with fuel charge velocity and it's held up well for the last 10,000 km.

It would def be a semi permanent fix for your cracked side cover.

Good luck with sorting it out.:beer
  19. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Read above mate.
    I'm a broken record on this but piece of mind when traveling alone in the middle of nowhere is massive.
    nzrian likes this.
  20. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer: