New Zealand RTW and back on a KTM500exc.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Aaron.S, Oct 21, 2016.

1. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    ExplorerFrog, Pcq and NoelJ like this.
  2. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went back to the shop yesterday and took the bike out for about a hour. It's running sweet and everything felt great except perhaps it seems I've forgotten how much she vibrates. I must be getting soft in my old age.
    It did feel good to be back in the saddle but I did feel a tad rusty and I'll admit a couple shameful attempts at wheelies but that won't take long to pop back and the third one wasn't bad.
    I went back today and did a oil change and the case seems to be holding and no leaks.
    The part hasn't come in and been Saturday now I'll have to wait until Tuesday at least.
    I've been staying in a hostel with another kiwi guy named Clinton who's on a DR650 so I brought my bike back here and we are going to take off tomorrow for a couple days which will give me a bit of piece of mind having someone else to ride with incase the ignition cover starts to leak bad.
    We also ran into three other kiwis traveling that were staying around the corner and met up for dinner and drinks.
    They are quite well known in N.Z and have a site called World by bike.
    ( Gareth and Jo Morgan with their friend David)
    Gareth picked up the tab on the sly so that was pretty nice of him.
    All in all things are ticking along nicely but it sure will be nice to move on.
    Tbilisi is a nice city but I've kinda done my dash here.

Attached Files:

3. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    That’s fantastic @Aaron.S! I bet getting out for a couple days will be the perfect shake down test, you’ll get your riding legs back and make sure she’s all sorted before heading out for the real start.

Really cool to run into fellow countrymen where you are.

Looking forward to hearing about how the couple day rip goes :-) :-)
    Aaron.S likes this.
  4. nzrian

nzrian renegade master Supporter

Oddometer:
    Always good to meet other kiwi's while travelling, especially on bikes.

The bike is looking good, I like the fern on the tank.
    Luggage setup looks good as well.

Good luck on the shakedown ride.
    Aaron.S likes this.
  5. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes it is and thanks!
    nzrian likes this.
  6. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Clinton and I took off east today towards the Azerbaijan border. We are staying in a little guesthouse about 3k from the border in a little town called Lagodekhi.
    The bike was running sweet then after about half a k on a gravel road it just died.
    Ughhh.
    I tried not to panic and pushed it into some shade hoping it was something simple . Fuel or spark right so I went to check my quick disconnect from the tank and yup it had come undone. I pushed it together and heard a click then she fired right up. Mint!!
    It ran awesome for the next couple hours then when the front wheel dropped down doing about 80k after a wheelie the same thing happened.
    I think it is just not on quite the right angle so I'll play with it later. Not a massive issue but needs to be sorted.
    A little seepage around the water pump cover but very minor.
    I have the boyseen super cooler and I remember when I first got it that it did the same then came right after another gasket and a couple re-tightens.
    All and all though I'm really happy with how she ran and as each hour goes by my confidence in it improves.
    I have no word on the part except that the parcel tracking says in transit. It's on it's third transit but it doesn't tell you from where to where.
    Been over 300 lari I'll have to pay 18 percent but more of the pain I'll have to deal with customs etc so that may suck up a day.
    It's looking like rain on Tuesday so if I can get it sorted by Wednesday or Thursday I'll be happy.
    I'm just trying to keep my expectations In check.
    Here's a couple photos of the bikes and one of the town.
    Shit it felt good to be rolling again my friends.

Attached Files:

7. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
    In other words thumbs down? Thanks for the response. I'm assuming this is based on personal experience and not just a flippant personal opinion. Have to ask as there are a ton of 'opinionaters' on these forums.
  8. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    A guy came around to my VW shop selling that stuff in the 1980s. I had a stick welder and an oxy/acetlene rig but nothing that would weld aluminum so I bought some. He literally punched a hole in the bottom of a Coke can, wire brushed it and filled the hole with the rod. I never found any thing that it would work on. Think I still have some of it. Also have a tig in the garage now. :D
    [​IMG]
  9. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
    :thumb 2old2Bbold
  10. Requiem84

Requiem84 Riding around the world @gravelforbreakfast.com

Oddometer:
    Girlfriend and me got stuck in Tblisi as well in August last year. Rear shock of her AT broke and we sourced a new one from the Netherlands. Had it shipped to the guys of Rushmore motorcycles, but we dealt with Customs ourselves in Tblisi. If you need any info regarding our experience getting the parts through customs send me a PM. All in all it took us a full day, which is better than in some other countries eastwards of Georgia..
    CNL likes this.
  11. Dacquiri

Dacquiri n00b

Oddometer:
    Respect Aaron!! Just got through your thread in about a week and am mighty impressed. Thanks for all the effort of taking us with! I too am a convert after struggling too much trying to just lift my brother’s kitted out 690’s back wheel :gdog. Definitely prefer something I can lift by myself after a long hot day’s technical riding. Just curious whether you ever had to replace the battery or if you have the capacitor fix handy if it dies? Looking forward to the next epic saga out east. If you ever venture down to the south tip of South Africa some day you always have a place to crash and plenty of cold beers (I guess it depends if we are still on speaking terms after RWC2019 though!!! :jack). Safe travels!
    Aaron.S likes this.
  12. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Back to it boys! .. girls!
    I've been without cell or wifi for a few days.
    From Lagodekhi we headed back to Tbilisi hoping the part had came in. 20190523_110802.jpg 20190523_112016.jpg 20190523_122020.jpg 20190523_135852.jpg 20190523_135920.jpg 20190523_132919.jpg 20190522_164127.jpg
    I had a bit of a run around with tracking it down but finally I got my hands on it and by 7 pm Tuesday I was finally heading back to the hostel ready to hit the road the following day.
    We had a bit of a late start due to me having a few issues with the bike. Sub frame bolt was missing and it spat some antifreeze.
    We had just flushed it the day before so I think she was finding her own level and checked out okay as time went on.
    We headed through Tbilisi National park north towards the old military headed for Russia.
    We took a turn off at the start towards a place called Shatili.
    We stopped at a guest house about 50ks short of it.
    The place was great and it was about 17US for a night with dinner and breakfast.
    I have to admit I'm a picky eater but one night she said meat for one of the dishes she served up but after a bite and a tough swallow I'm thinking it was a organ of some kind as she said it came from a pig ( or at least that was the noise she made when asked what meat) but it was a dark colour.
    The next day we rode to Shatili and it was really a really amazing ride.
    You rode over a near 9000ft pass above snow line on a road us adventure riders seek out. Mud , dirt, water crosses and spectacular views.
    I was following Clinton and at one stage he came around a corner and his front hit some soft shit and nearly tucked under him but by saving it he headed left towards the drop off and raging river beliw.
    A quick flick to the right and a foot before the edge he was back on track.
    It made my heart skip just watching it and he's a better man than me if he didn't have a poo stain in his undies after.
    We stopped about 4 corners later to laugh, comment and try not to think about the what if's.
    On the way back we stopped as some Austrian people we had stayed at the same guesthouse were stuck on the side of the road in a broken taxi.
    We lent the driver some tools but with a bunch of oil coming out of it it wasn't going far anytime soon.
    Because of the delay we stayed back at the guesthouse another night.
  13. NoelJ

NoelJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool old stone work! Looks a little cold but spring is there.

If she was grinning when she made the pig noise - it was his balls. "Porkberries"
    MannyUrrego and Aaron.S like this.
  14. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haha..
    It was a little fresh in there as one big window was nailed open to let a couple birds fly in and out to their nest in the ceiling.
    We cranked up the fireplace and perhaps a bit much as one of Clintons socks was a little close and melted.
    joenuclear likes this.
  15. frozenBanana

frozenBanana n00b

Oddometer:
    Aaron, how has the bike handled low octane gas, or could you find premium grade everywhere? What was the lowest octane rating you used? I am very curious about this as I'm planning some RTW type riding on CRF450L which has similar compression, port injection, bore, etc.
  16. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking Bolivia might have been the lowest. 85ish and who knows if it was that even.
    I did buy some octane boost there but I could hear the motor pinging at times.
    I just replaced the injector but it was still working.
    I would worry more about crap in the fuel over the rating.
    I would strongly suggest running a fuel sock. I have a profill. Made in Aussie.
    Best of luck on your upcoming travels!
    MannyUrrego and skibum69 like this.
  17. frozenBanana

frozenBanana n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Good to know. Also, did you add/mod a rear subframe to support all that luggage?
    Gotta say, the real world data you getting on all this is pretty great.
    Sam
  18. radmann10

radmann10 Derf Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great stuff Aaron, nice to have you back on the road!
    Aaron.S likes this.
  19. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess I'm wheelie happy to have crossed into Russia!
    Border crossing days are not my favorite but this was the worst yet. 3 hrs to leave Georgia dealing with customs and after a threat of my bike been confiscated the 350US I had to pay didn't hurt as much but still.
    I have now found out you can goto the police department to get an extension if you need to have your bike stay longer than 90 days in the country.
    Such a stupid law. Bike should have same time as the person which is a year for me.
    Then 4 hrs of basically a interrogation at the Russian border.
    Two guys asking lots of the same questions. I didn't think they liked me having a couple passports. Having to name each country I had traveled to and future as he typed along with family member questions, job, money, over and over.
    Even ex wifes details ( like her birthday. Shit it was 20 years ago I didn't remember it when I was with her) Ride_BridgeWheelieColour_1800.jpg my brothers wifes details and at one point questioned my accent saying it didn't sound like I was from New Zealand.
    Made me sign a long detailed account of it all then said it wasn't possible to enter.
    I had no cell and they wouldn't let me use wifi to prove some of the details. I think they thought my Visa was fake. I'm not exactly sure. 10 mins later more phone calls and then the sweetest words I've heard in ages... Welcome to Russia!!
  20. firecrotch

firecrotch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That picture should be your new icon. Its classic
    MannyUrrego, Junya and Aaron.S like this.