New Zealand RTW and back on a KTM500exc.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Aaron.S, Oct 21, 2016.

1. liv2day

liv2day Is Anyone Here a Marine Biologist! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great couple of updates @Aaron.S, I had to get on Google Earth to figure out where you are :lol3 :lol3

The architecture is really cool, so totally different. Really neat to run into other travelers and hit the town for some beers and grub.

I like the shot of the camel "lounging" in it's little area from your time in Khiva, appears as if they grounds were built so the camels had a place to rest? They're not attached to anything, so do they simply hang out there waiting until they're needed?

Looking forward to hearing/seeing how things go when you cross into Tajikistan, did a quick search for 7 lakes and hell yeah - that place looks killer.

Keep the knobby side down man :thumb :thumb
    Aaron.S likes this.
  2. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was it just me or did everyone get a message saying to subscribe to this ste to get it add free?
    I kinda feel I contribute enough content to this site and for them to want me to give them money as well is a bit bloody cheeky.
    If anything they should look at their top contributors that bring them clicks and try to support them in one way or another.
    I'm thinking of starting a RR somewhere else. I'm not sure if I will continue here if they want money.
  3. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You dont have to give any money......If you do the ads will go away, like 50 dolla....no biggie! Great web site, I have been meaning to do it.....just havent gotten around to it yet......please keep posting here......great report and pics!!
    Aaron.S and BLucare like this.
  4. advrockrider

advrockrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree, the top dogs shout get a free ride! Hope they keep you around...
    Aaron.S likes this.
  5. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    You're not the only one that got the support PM. Just keep doing what you're doing. Add blocker works great.:D
  6. BLucare

BLucare Inmate At Law

Oddometer:
    We all got the message, bud. Nothing to stress about :thumb Baldy was just on Adventure Rider Radio a couple weeks ago, and talked about how much time and energy it takes to keep the lights on in this massive place. It's a big job, and asking the masses for a donation is part of it.

I'll echo the others: You're a legend here, and we all value your contributions. So... Do stick around, won't ya? :beer
  7. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keep posting Aaron. There's a lot of tough guys on this site, but the truth is most of us are middle aged armchair wannabes compared to what you're doing. I have no problem susbsidising the site to keep guys like you posting. Maybe the mothership can come up with a solution to pay for the site, while also supporting you and your contribution.
    Blumtnman, Aaron.S and BLucare like this.
  8. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The border crossing into Tajikistan was one of the better ones I've had.
    All the guards were really friendly on both sides.
    I got asked twice on the Uzbekistan side how I liked their country and I felt they were genuinely interested.
    On the Tajikistan side where they input your bike info into the system you have to pay 10.US which is the first time I have had to pay for that but you don't need insurance so one less cost and step there.
    The only little bummer is that although I get 30days the bike only gets 15. You can make a customs declaration in Dushanbe for an extension if need be.
    I guess in my mind I thought I might be staying longer than 15 days here but after looking at the map I think it probably will be enough as once you have done the Bartang valley and the Wakhan corridor there isn't that much else to see unless you want to camp more and stay longer in places.
    I got a room in Panjakent and this morning headed up to the seven lakes area.
    It was sunny when I left but I could see dark clouds in the mountains and by the time I got to the end of the road at the last lake it was constant rain and pretty cold as it sits up around 8000ft.
    Bit of a shame as I couldn't quite make out all the snow capped mountains around and I imagine on a really nice day along with stunning views there would be some great camping spots in that area.
    I thought the rain might clear but after about half a hour of waiting and no sign of it letting up I headed back to Panjakent.
    On the way back I stopped when a few kids waved me down. As soon as I stopped they all came up to shake my hand.
    Such little cuties and I know some overlanders like to give out stickers etc but I tell you what warms my heart on a cold wet day is seeing the massive grin on a kids face when you lift them up and let them sit on the bike.
    It truly is a pretty cool feeling for me to think I might of made that kids day.
    I also like to point to the start button before I leave and let them start it and they usually get a kick out of that as well.
    I was in two minds whether to head to Dushanbe or not but after I ate and looked out at a few rain drops I decided to call it a early day and get out of wet riding gear.
    It was a pretty great day for me even with the rain because when I would day dream at work about this leg of my journey my mind always seemed to end up thinking about Tajikistan (and Mongolia) and finally been here gave me that excited feeling in my gut again as I rode into the mountains and also a little sense of satisfaction that I actually made it here.
    Who would of thought huh. 20190611_110014-01.jpeg 20190611_124227.jpg 20190611_102545.jpg 20190611_115720.jpg 20190611_105331.jpg 20190611_124127.jpg 20190611_101326.jpg
    juno, MotoMaddned, Jeremy K and 24 others like this.
  9. NoelJ

NoelJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great pics Aaron. Having the kids in there really changes the tone of the reports to something all positive!
    Aaron.S likes this.
  10. headstaller

headstaller Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks again Aaron for taking the time to share such an amazing trip/adventure/experience.
    Aaron.S likes this.
  11. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Apparently 50 dolla make me holla... ha
  12. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some more. One from the border day and the other from the last lake.
    I appreciate your feedback and support about this ride report and If you have followed you probably know that I go through stages where im not sure if it's worth my time doing it.
    Today it took nearly two hours because the wifi kept cutting off halfway through loading photos. My cell was doing the same so I think something was going on in the area.
    I have had some big positives from doing it though. Mainly offers of places to stay and the moral support I get from you guys.
    I am going to do one for remotemoto.com but at this stage it will be a copy paste of this and more from my FB page.
    I like where Josh and Jessie are trying to go with thier website and both of them been from New Zealand I wanted to give them some form of support.
    I'll try keep up on both but if it gets too much one will go.

Attached Files:

13. liv2day

Oddometer:
    That's cool as hell @Aaron.S :thumb :thumb Not only did you likely make the kid's day, but actions like yours show the general populace that folks riding motorcycles aren't a bunch of hooligan idiots (at least all the time...lol). Seriously, that simple action of stopping to interact with kids (and adults) makes folks following your path in the future that much better, even more important with the divisiveness driven by today's social media world.

Really like the pics from the lake, even if we can't see the mountains. That first pic of your bike and the water flowing down the hillside - is that rain run-off? Pretty sweet shot man, though the pics of the kids on your bike and the subsequent smiles are the best.

As others have mentioned, hope you keep posting here. I don't do social media aside from this forum.

Hope the rest of your stay in Tajikistan is solid and you find all the cool bits to explore :nod :nod
    cidi, DC950, Aaron.S and 1 other person like this.
  14. BelgardaBuddy

BelgardaBuddy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I cant belive you are in Tajikistan now. I guess you will enjoy this part of the journey alot as Tajikistan is suppored to be an offroad riders paradide. Please keep posting and have fun.
    Cheers
    Aaron.S and BLucare like this.
  15. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I woke up to a fantastic day and perfect temps for riding. I took a detour to a lake on the way to Dushanbe and it was well worth it.
    I've been hanging out for mountains and I got them today. I could of been in Switzerland for all I knew in some areas and other parts reminded me of Dades in Morocco.
    Found a Dorm room for 10 and I'm the only one in it. Bonus. Well so far.
    One of the first days in a while where it didn't feel like a long grind on the bike since I had corners and views. Mint day.
    That tunnel was called death tunnel I believe. About 5k long with no ventilation or much lighting. When I put my high beam on it was like riding in Fog so just as good using lo only. 20190612_124040-01.jpeg 20190612_122514-01.jpeg 20190612_141102.jpg 20190612_140020.jpg 20190612_141113.jpg
  16. BLucare

BLucare Inmate At Law

Oddometer:
    I remember that tunnel from Lyndon's trip through that area. I recall there was a semi truck stuck in the tunnel when he went through, and the whole place was full of diesel exhaust fumes. Sounds like you had a better go of it.
  17. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Awesome @Aaron.S - killer topography and so glad the clouds cleared so you could enjoy the views and riding.

Hope the dorm room stays quiet and peaceful and that your stay is good.

Keep the knobby side down man :ricky
    BelgardaBuddy likes this.
  18. DC950

DC950 Microadventurer

Oddometer:
    just wanted to say this is the best thread on ADVrider in many years. Thank you.
  19. satchmo3

satchmo3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ditto that, this is the one I look forward to the most. Thanks Aaron!
    Digger.Jeep, TheNetworker and Aaron.S like this.
  20. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And that my friends is my first look at Afghanistan.
    Everything on the other side of the river is Afghanistan.
    I'll write up about it later. Long day. Let's just say Google maps didn't do me any favours today.
    We're in the thick of it now!! 20190613_145423.jpg