New Zealand RTW and back on a KTM500exc.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Aaron.S, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Moto Vaquero

Moto Vaquero Trail less traveled

Oddometer:
    Fantastic ride Aaron!
    There are a lot of us here (like me) that are following you along but don't post much.
    So I encourage you to keep it up, not just for us that will never ride that part of the world but for yourself. This cements your adventure in digital form forever for you, your family, friends and future generations. You will be glad you went through all the effort in the future.
    Keep on rollin!
  2. Dusty Rider

Dusty Rider Seeking Neverland

Oddometer:
    Still loving the bridge wheelie!
    Aaron.S likes this.
  3. nzrian

nzrian renegade master Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I agree.
    Keep posting please Aaron, it's giving me plenty of food for thought, as well as very entertaining.

I have recently split with my wife, currently helping a mate in Zambia and doing a little riding for 3 months.

When I am back in NZ, I will be getting a 16 ktm 500 or might even swing a new Beta 480rr.

Keep up the good work and enjoy it as much as possible, it's looks like an awesome adventure from this end :clap
    Adventure Bound! and Aaron.S like this.
  4. horsti

horsti Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Aron !

Thank´s for all the time You invest zu show us Your way of riding the world.
    It helps so much to survive the boring time in hospital to recover from my accident ( distroyed my beloved AfricaTwin).
    Looking forward to Your next installment!:tb
    Best regards !
    Achim
    Aaron.S and outbacktm like this.
  5. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks and sorry to hear you had an accident. Heal fast and hopefully you will be back on the horse shortly.
    horsti and shuswap1 like this.
  6. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Best way to get over a old relationship is to get a new bike. Safe travels and enjoy your new ride.
  7. nzrian

Oddometer:
    Tot

Totally agree.

:ricky
  8. JDWander

JDWander n00b Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well said ! ........ I am in total agreement with this post , Aaron you are doing something amazing sir, glad you took us along for the ride !
    Aaron.S and Caprug like this.
  9. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Groovy shite as always mate!!!

RTWPaul not on the dirt currently so drinking everytime you show a picture of dirt instead! :dutch
    outbacktm and Aaron.S like this.
  10. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In Osh I went to Muz-Too garage as I needed a bolt for my kickstand. What a bloody shambles. About 10 other bikers hanging around wanting stuff done but the workshop was a bloody mess with tools laying everywhere and the only oil the sold was 10/40. I didn’t stick around and headed over to Zorro Moto. Big improvement and David there was as helpful as could be. Lot’s of Motul products including chain lube and a fair amount of tyre selection but they aren’t cheap. I came back the next day as I picked up a nail just as I left his shop and he was closing so I left my bike there.

One nice thing about that MotoZ Tractionator Adventure rear is that it was easy to get one side off to put a new tube in. It is the first time my rear has outlasted the front and I debated for a night whether to change the front now because my only option was a $140US ( Ouch!!) Tkc80 front. Not wanting to carry on riding with it or wait for one to be shipped I just closed my eyes and did it. I got 6500k out of the Motoz Rallz front.

The next day I headed to lake Song-Kul and I saw it was about 500k away but I didn’t really do the research that I should of as I thought I would stay somewhere on the way. It turned out 4 of that 500k was gravel and it went over 2 around 3000m passes so there were a heap of switch backs on both sides and it was all in the middle of nowhere so there wasn’t anywhere to stay except pull over and pitch my tent.

I have to admit the gravel was in really good shape and if there were straights you could sit on 85 to 105kmh pretty easy.

I pushed really hard in the last couple hours as the sun was getting low in the sky and I had a couple really close calls with my front washing out. That TKC isn’t near as good as the M21 or that Rallz I just had.

I was lucky I found gas about 50k from the lake at the turn off.

After about 8 plus hours of actual seat time I had arrived and I was bloody beat.

I had visions on the way of pitching my tent by a nice lake waking up in the morning in the warm sun and going for a swim. Yea nah that wasn’t going to happen as when I got to the lake about half a hour before the sun set I realized it sat at 3106m (9895 ft) and it was pretty damn chilly.

It was amazingly beautiful though and I came across some yurts so instead of pitching my tent I spent $10US for one that was heated by a coal stove including breakfast and the use of a pit loo.

I was absolutely starving as all I had had that day was part of a shitty Kebab. I had one packet of noodles so quickly before the sunset I cooked them up but then when they were ready I got up to grab my water heard a crash and saw my chair had blown over with the wind and knocked the pot over with the noodles sprawled all over the ground. Sigh. So off to bed I went about 15 mins later with the sun down and a snickers bar to keep me going until the next morning.

That night was full of listening to the sound of horses galloping around and dogs howling. One was right outside my yurt and although I cleaned up the noodles I think he licked the area clean.

The next morning was a fantastic ride up only a little way but down the other side of a pass with again just beautiful views of mountains, fields of horses and some Yaks.

I ended up in Bishkek where I am now and planning what I’ll do in the next few days.

I got a couple litres of gas just before I left that morning and you can see in the phot the guy was siphoning gas out of a barrel and I saw him take a couple pretty good amounts in his mouth before he got it out. He just spat it out without seeming to worry so much.

Ummm yeah my injector loves spit with it’s gas ha.

The other photo with the young kids was funny as they basically blocked the road and in a frenzy waving theor cell phones all wanted photos and selfies. I mean who can blame them Tess is one sexy looking bike for her age huh.

20190619_110727.jpg 20190620_143602.jpg 20190620_141955.jpg 1010373.jpg 20190621_084956.jpg 20190620_140836.jpg 20190621_092834.jpg 20190621_100408.jpg 20190621_102753.jpg
  11. nzrian

Oddometer:

Shit, what an amazing looking country side.
    Bet you had a good time on those gravel roads, apart from the long day in the saddle.

Keep on truckin, Kia ora from aotearoa.
    Aaron.S likes this.
  12. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Been a while since I posted in your thread Aaron. Breathtaking photos and events. Such an incredible journey with so much more to come soon. Just wanted to give my thanks to you for sharing this with us all. Godspeed and safe travels!
    shuswap1 and Aaron.S like this.
  13. NoelJ

NoelJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great pics and story Aaron, the people there look very welcoming. A little cold maybe, but beautiful!
    Aaron.S likes this.
  14. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't apologize to me or anybody else sitting in a lazy boy scratching their balls:lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3
    shuswap1 and Aaron.S like this.
  15. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great update @Aaron.S! Looks to be beautiful terrain and really cool to have the locals come out for selfies and photos, good on you for stopping to oblige too :thumb:thumb

Crazy those yurts have a coal-fired stove; where the hell do you suppose they get coal from in that neck of the woods? Doesn't look like many trees around, so they have to have something for fuel.

Really cool shots of your bike and surrounding scenery, the switchbacks and mountainous terrain is something else :thumb

:lol3 :lol3

Safe travels man :ricky
    Aaron.S likes this.
  16. Adventure Bound!

Adventure Bound! Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Epic journey, thanks for sharing !
    Inspirational and love seeing where you’re at, who ya meet!
    Ride on Aaron!
    Aaron.S likes this.
  17. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks!!
  18. Asianrider

Asianrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That was actually last summer, I'm not writing on the go, but yeah I was just a stone's throw away (if you can throw a stone over a 5000m-high mountain), it's such a pity one can't connect those 2 countries.

I could definitely trade a 150cc for that 500EXC though.. (drooling)

Thanks for the report Aaron, it rocks !
    kvango, shuswap1 and Aaron.S like this.
  19. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I didn't want to rush through the beauty of Kyrgyzstan especially having such spectacular riding weather so after a little recoup in Bishkek for a few days and meeting some other riders we headed towards a mostly abandoned town called Ming Kush. Ming Kush was originally a town built around a Uranium mine in the mid 1950s but after the fall of the Soviet Union which forced the closure of the mine the 20,000 inhabitants now number roughly 2000 if that Apparently radiation levels are 10x in some areas of the norm and outside of the town there are four radioactive mill piles and due to the lack of maintenance has led some stream water to trickle over and contaminate the area. So without filling up our water bottles we left after a nice mingle with a few locals. One who came out offering us candy and the other from his breath was the town drunk yet I doubt he's the only one in this impoverished place with little else to do. We camped outside of town that night then the next day went back to Song Kul lake via a different route I had previously done and ended up camping along the waters edge of Issyk Kul the 7th largest lake in the world by water volume.(along with millions of bloody mosquitoes) It was a short day today and we ended up in Karakol ready to cross into Kazakhstan tomorrow. It's been great riding with a few others for a change and makes me feel not so guilty for drinking alone when camping. Oh who am I kidding I never feel guilty for that. 20190625_122713.jpg 20190624_193358.jpg 20190624_174949.jpg 20190625_105947-01.jpeg 20190624_180013.jpg 20190625_110410.jpg
  20. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great update @Aaron.S! Really dig the pictures of the area, though the uranium mine and radioactive piles...fack. Can't imagine living near anything like that :(. Beautiful scenery, especially like that shot of your bike with the mountains in the background and the dirt road.

Pretty cool that you hooked up with fellow riders along their own adventure, the camp sites you posted look awesome (sans mosquitoes - hate those effin' things). Crazy to see that couple 2-up on that big Katoom. What part of the world did those folks start from?

:lol3 :lol3