New Zealand RTW and back on a KTM500exc.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Aaron.S, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The three others are Germans living in Switzerland. I can't believe how fast and well he rides on the gravel roads on that bike. Very solid rider who has a rally bike as well he races.
    I also forgot that I did a day trip to the National park just outside of Bishkek with another swiss guy which was pretty disappointing as there were thousands of people and a bit cloudy so you couldn't see the mountains.
    On the way back a cow jumped off a little bank in front of him and he turned while putting on his front brakes and crashed. I nearly hit him.
    Gees he made a few horrible moans and I thought he was really hurt but luckily he was just winded and perhaps bruised ribs as after a 20 min sit down and some water he rode his bike the 20 mins back to the hotel.
    20190623_131234.jpg
    BillUA, Jersey87, juno and 6 others like this.
  2. AlaskaBastard

AlaskaBastard n00b

Oddometer:
    You should mount it unwashed, high on the garage wall. Life trophy
    DC950, Aaron.S, BLucare and 2 others like this.
  3. liv2day

liv2day Life is all about how you handle plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    I effin' hate cows, had one almost take me out doing ~60 in Baja.

Glad the guy was ok and even better that you didn't roll over him :eekers

Bummer that the park was flooded with people and you couldn't see the mountains, at least you were able to jump on your bike and get out of there...lol.

Looking forward to the next update @Aaron.S!
    Aaron.S likes this.
  4. shuswap1

shuswap1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cows, deer and bears are predictably unpredictable, had many a near miss until I realized that is their standard MO and the only safe approach was to slow up a bit and prep for the worst case scenario.

Had a laugh at the contrast between the three bikes and their respective loads. You certainly represent the minimalist very very well Aaron.
    td63, juno and Aaron.S like this.
  5. BLucare

BLucare Inmate At Law

Oddometer:
    Growing up in an area where white tail deer seem to outnumber human beings, I can attest to the fact that animals at the side of the road seem to suffer from the highest Darwinian levels of stupidity. The intelligent members of the species have learned to avoid the fast-moving, loud, large, heavy machines traveling on roads, and therefore avoid roadways. The stupid ones? They'll run into the side of your car as you're driving past, as opposed to simply sitting at the side of the road, out of the way, or better yet – going the opposite direction. Makes less than zero sense. :loco

Whenever possible, I nearly slow to a complete stop if there's a deer at the side of the road.
    td63, DC950, shuswap1 and 2 others like this.
  6. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great idea. I've also thought about above the fireplace if I have one in my next house.
    AlaskaBastard and 2old2Bbold like this.
  7. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's like I have carry on luggage instead of check in huh.
    It certainly makes me realize how small my bike is when I see it next to theirs.
    DC950, Kyron, liv2day and 2 others like this.
  8. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Waking up early and getting away from the mosquitoes we headed to Karakol and stayed at Memos guesthouse. Great place to stay ran by an Italian guy.
    That night we had homemade lasagna with red wine and I had the best sleep in a while.
    The next morning we were all helmets on and ready to go then when I pressed the start button nothing happened.
    Oh shit. Pressed again nothing.
    I don't have a key so I didn't leave it on or anything so maybe the battery had gone bad.
    I kicked it over and she fired up.
    I had to kickstart it for the rest of the day. It started fairly easily but it was a tad tricky kicking it over with the bags on.
    We crossed into Kazakhstan which was a small quick border and not having to deal with any bike paperwork helped.
    We found a place to wild camp down by the river at the start of Charyn.
    It was a fantastic spot.
    I started to troubleshoot my starting issue and found a wire had broken on one of the connectors under the headlight. Pretty easy fix especially because Holger had a heat shrink wire connector.
    Still not bad for 1445hrs of vibration to only have that really go wrong besides wheel bearings.
    I currently have 110500k on it so since Georgia we've done 8k.
    The next day I went to the Canyon but I was to lazy to walk the 3k down so I carried on to Almaty.
    I'm back on my own.
    I picked up some oil and new grips.
    I'll spend a day or two here then make a B line for Russia. 20190627_103612.jpg 20190628_100323.jpg 20190627_194017.jpg received_481468482589908.jpeg
    BillUA, Jersey87, roadcapDen and 20 others like this.
  9. Andocalrisian

Andocalrisian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Truly epic RR Aaron. Been off the bike due to injury and your photos and pics have kept my stoke up!

I reckon at this point you’ve sold more 500s than the local KTM dealer!

Along for the rest of your ride.

Ride on!
    karter18 and Aaron.S like this.
  10. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I headed to Big Almaty lake just outside of Almaty for a look.
    It was nice to get away from the heat,haze and horns of the city up into the mountains but the lake was pretty small really and after the ones in Tajikistan not overly impressive.
    Perhaps I'm getting a tad high maintenance.
    The road went up above 10000ft over looking an old observatory once you went past one checkpoint.
    Once back in the city I found a place to work on my bike called Freeriders.
    Bunch of hardcase nutters Russian guys and not much English but by the time I was finishing up on my bike they were handing me cups of wine and saying I was nuts for riding my bike from New Zealand.
    There is also a dorm room so I ended up staying the night there.
    I just heard Ronnie ( one of the German guy I was traveling with) had a crash doing about 60kph in sand on his Ktm 1050. Luckily he's okay buy the front screen got all smashed up. Bummer.
    Well it's 7.30 so I'm going to start packing and think about hitting the road.
    I have a couple big days ahead as I'm going to push for the Russian border.
    Hopefully knock out 500k or so today.
    20190629_180849.jpg 20190629_181038.jpg 1010425.jpg 20190629_123349.jpg 20190629_112642.jpg

Attached Files:

11. wilfred

wilfred juvenile delinquent Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gorgeous country, thanks for sharing the picture.
    dano619 and Aaron.S like this.
  12. shuswap1

shuswap1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Aaron, your photos are incredibly expressive and well framed. They add so much to your RR. I think many of us know how much time and effort this takes takes, so.... many thanks!
    karter18, BLucare, elron and 2 others like this.
  13. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I appreciate the positive feedback.
  14. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    X2 on the pics, some neat shots in here & the bar for that on ADV is set pretty high - your skills (& equipment?) have progressed a lot since you started out. As well as KTM owing you big for marketing I reckon Central Asia's tourism departments probably should be sending you a cheque too :D Keep up the good work!

Good to hear the Motoz tyres gave a decent run, I just fitted up my first Rallz front & back on the 640, have previously had a good run out of the Desert HT. Not sure the Rallz rear will last any longer than the Desert HT as it's a pretty open pattern. I think you had the right idea with the Tractionator Adventure on the back for better mileage.

Cheers
    Clint
    Aaron.S likes this.
  15. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wasn't really looking forward to the 1100k haul from Almaty to Semey.
    I had heard it's a bit of a grind.
    The first 200k the roads were mint yesterday then they turned to shit. About 100k of road works yet I didn't see much equipment or anything and the rest of the day was bumpy as F.
    I stopped around 5 after 570k and nearly 8hrs just seat time.
    I was feeling a tad beat.
    This morning I was up early and on the road before 8.
    It was really windy and it was a head cross wind along with it been bumpy again for about 350k but the last 150k the wind had died down and it was super smooth so I felt like I made awesome time.
    7.5 hours and I only stopped for gas. No food as I had a okay breakfast and I'm feeling great. Really good. Today just seemed to fly by.
    I found a great hotel for 6000teng or about 15us with a restaurant attached.
    So I'm all set up to cross into Russia tomorrow then heading to Barnaul to get a new rear tyre. Bike just clicked 112000k. That tyre has 10000k really impressive. It has got some cracks in it but it has taken a beating.
    Not impressive photos but gives you an idea of the long straights. 20190701_111722.jpg 20190701_134644.jpg
  16. NoelJ

NoelJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's a lot of seat time Aaron! Landscape is impressive - I'll bet there's never two days in a row without wind!
  17. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice two day run! Sometimes it is good to have the long boring stretches to make some time!
    Aaron.S likes this.
  18. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're dead right.
    The nice thing is you aren't passing anything by that would be really worth stopping for so you don't feel like you are missing out.
    shuswap1 likes this.
  19. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's wind and then there's wind.
    It's funny because I have had spells where I haven't had any in a while then I get a nasty head / cross wind and I'm like ughh now I remember. Just like rain. Been a while.
    So sometimes like today I'm just thankful for sunshine. Surprisingly colder than the last week as I've headed north.
    I had to pull over and put my jacket on.
    DC950, BLucare, outbacktm and 3 others like this.
  20. liv2day

liv2day Life is all about how you handle plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow on a couple fronts @Aaron.S! Crazy that you're crossing into Russia tomorrow, though that could be today given the time difference. Those long arse straights - double edged sword when just droning along that stuff. Great for time, but man - monotonous and can be easy to go on autopilot and not see some random critter. Glad you made it the whole stretch without issue.

10k out of a tire is nuts, especially on a thumper like the 500. I hope getting the new knob on goes well. Thought I had commented about that place where you did some work with the Russian dudes who gave you a cup of wine, but must have just thought about commenting (lol). That's really cool man, how neat to have the international language of 'motorcycle' bridge the gap of language.

Safe crossing into Russia, keen to hear how things go :thumb :thumb
    Aaron.S likes this.