New Zealand to Alaska on a KTM500exc now RTW!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Aaron.S, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will do. Graham has been really great to deal with and without his help the motor still might be stuck.
  2. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Flying out May 5th. It's right around the corner.
  3. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I checked before I left it was a year for the bike. I'll cross that bridge or border when I get to it. No point worrying about it now as I can't change it. Thanks for the heads up though.
    Maybe she only got 3 months on her entry because of the Passport she entered on.
    I got a year on my Kiwi one
    climberevan and Fast1 like this.
  4. groovetrain

groovetrain n00b

Oddometer:
    I had one on my 450 EXC. They are awesome!

I am pumped for the next chapter, Aaron.
    Aaron.S likes this.
  5. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Giv 'er! I've been away from this thread for awhile but am back on as I'm due to join RTWPaul for Siberia/Mongolia/stans next year. He's obviously watching you as you'll both be on 500's. I'm taking my 525 that I plan to set up very much like Paul's.
  6. BLucare

BLucare Inmate At Law

Oddometer:
    Bookmarking this for later. :thumb

You guys are making me never want to sell my thumper. Not complaining about that, either! :ricky
    Aaron.S likes this.
  7. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's a wrap!
    I finished work this week and I fly out to London tomorrow.
    I have some creative packing to do by the looks of things.
    I feel like I'm more prepared ( except for a running bike) than I have ever been but I'm still feeling a little nervous yet also excited but I'll be suoer stoked when I hear the bike fire up. Let the games begin huh.
    20190504_083439.jpg
  8. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Is that a windshield above the headlight in your photo?
  9. jdubb75

jdubb75 Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It looks like a hydration bladder.
    Aaron.S likes this.
  10. Dualsport4ever

Dualsport4ever Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup. Those two curved "edges" suggestive of a windshield are unrelated objects. One is the hose attached to the bladder, and the other looks like a cable with a loop on the end ( security cable?)
  11. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    a mirage :beer
  12. Pcq

Pcq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Aaron, after your extensive travel experience, are you happy with your decision to go with the simplest setup and use the GL coyote without a rack?

Or have there been any situations where you’ve missed even a small rack, or felt it would have been safer or more practical to have had more structure to secure your luggage to, grab points to pick up the bike...?

Im debating what to do for my luggage setup, if to get a rack or go bareback haha ...
  13. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No. Water bladder
  14. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In short dirt bikes don't come with racks.
    I have never felt that my bag was insecure and worried about it coming off. I ran webbing between my rear guard and plate holder which threads into the buckles inside the bag so there aren't any hooks anywhere to come off. I like the fact that as soon as it's pulled off I have a bike without a rack. I make sure it sits really forward so the weight is on the seat not at the back.
    Along those lines that's why I don't run a tank bag. Sure it would be handy but on my bike it would get in the way If I got in the correct riding position for single track tight corners. Okay I'm not racing and I could work around it but I still feel it would take away been able to get further forward on the tank if I wanted. Perhaps it's coming from doing motocross where I'm used to been forward and nuts are up by the gas cap. No front fender bag either because I hate the look of them and don't want to stare at it all the time. All personal preference .
  15. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    let the madness continue...on the wrong bike

:hide
  16. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's fly out day bitches!!
    So I got a message a couple days ago on Instagram from Lyndon Poskitt saying had he had known about my engine he would of liked to help me out getting a rally motor for my bike which have some stronger internals and he would of been interested in seeing how long it would last doing what I'm doing. Ughh ... that's all I could think about that day is how sweet that would of been. Oh well perhaps next time around.
    He also said if I get stuck or need help somewhere to let him know as he has contacts all over the world and one might be able to help me out. I thought that was pretty nice of him and it's always a good thing to have another person to reach out to when needed.
    Right back to last minute packing. The boots aren't going to fit so I guess that's my carry on.
    juno, Force0321, wilfred and 29 others like this.
  17. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    On ski trips my boots always go carry on, you can find other crap but you cannot replace boots especially if you have special orthotics.
    DC950, Aaron.S and DesertRatliff like this.
  18. liv2day

liv2day Is Anyone Here a Marine Biologist! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Effing awesome on a couple fronts @Aaron.S! Not only are you leaving OR, but to get a message like that from Lyndon is super cool.

Safe travels as you make your way back to your bike and get her travel ready again. I'm really looking forward to following along as the next leg of your adventure continues :-) :-)
    Aaron.S and Pcq like this.
  19. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm currently in London and I felt like I had a early Christmas unpacking my new gear.
    I fly out to Tbilisi on Saturday and to be honerst I'm chomping at the bit now wishing I was flying out tomorrow. Rainy day out there today and I felt like I did the tourist thing last time I was here so not highly motivated to head downtown or anything.
    On the brightside I finally got around to answering some questions I got sent from advroad months ago as they were going to do an article about my trip.
    That's about all for now.

Attached Files:

wilfred, SmilinJoe, Pcq and 2 others like this.
  20. liv2day

liv2day Is Anyone Here a Marine Biologist! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great looking adventure spec gear man, always nice to have new digs to start the next leg with :-) :-). Bet it's going to feel like an incredibly long 3 days until your flight out of London, hope the weather improves and you're able to get out and about a bit.
    Aaron.S likes this.