Newbie planning 48 state road trip...advice welcomed!

Discussion in 'Americas' started by nsherman2006, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Slabrocks

Slabrocks Out riding....

Oddometer:
    looks like a great plan! I'm about to start a trip right about when you pass through my town.

I'll start my own thread instead of hijacking yours.....
  2. tx_medic

tx_medic Been here awhile

Oddometer:

What happened with this adventure? Are you still planning?

I agree with one thought here for sure... Lose the girl. Spend your time on bike maintenance and your money on cold/wet weather gear.

Oh, and get an iPad with Tapatalk, I can't wait to take this thing on the road! Plus you can keep us informed of your travels without wasting valuable phone life.

Also, if you post your progress you might be fortunate to meet up with some folks to accompany you on a leg or two of your journey!
  3. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nuttin' to it but to do it.

Go!

(And keep us in the loop as you roll thru the states.)
  4. Marius356

Marius356 back on Africa Twin!

Oddometer:
    Don't waste Top much Time on planning, you won't be able to stick to it. You will meet lots of people who convince you to stay for an extra day.
  5. nsherman2006

nsherman2006 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Leaving in a week!

Today was supposed to be my bike maintenance day...gonna have to find some more time now because some asshole at Kawasaki decided it would be a good idea to require a 14mm hex bit to get the front axle off. No idea why it should be harder to get the front off than the rear.

Anyway, Pilot Road 2 has been mounted in the rear and the front should be mounted tomorrow. Oil change, fluid check, read through of maintenance schedule and preemptively attack any pre-15k mile services.

Not ditching the girl. I just found one who's willing to let me go on a 48 state road trip, solo. Why would I want to spend all hat time trying to find another one? Plus she's hot.

Will start taking pictures soon. Plan is to bring a Kodak Easyshare point-and-shoot as well as a Canon SLR. I have no photography experience at all.

Just bought an Aerostich 1 piece. Hoping it arrives in time. Should be totally equipped for cold, wet, hot, dry, whatever.

Any last minute advice?

Thanks!
  6. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    Have a great adventure and keep us posted!

Cheers,
    Greg
  7. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ditto. we'll be enjoying your ride froM our netbooks.

Go get 'em!
  8. CamoGreg

CamoGreg aka Camorpheus

Oddometer:
    +1

The photos will take care of themselves.
    I'm not familiar with your Kodak, but if it has a selection wheel, tape over it on auto selection. Those damn selector wheels have a way of rotating to some goofy setting when you thought you'd have a great photo.

Hope to see you in Lewiston!
  9. 243Win

243Win Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good luck on your trip.

One bit of advice, don't stick to a strict schedule. You've got a start date and and end date. In between, wander. I tried to start out on a schedule on my little trip, and quickly, I just went where it looked interesting. Smell those roses as they say. I had one hard date to make on my trip and I hated that one small limitation.

Say "Hi" to the folks in the next campsite over. You'll meet some neat folks that way.

Again, good luck. A trip like this is an eye opener.
  10. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    :nod

You'll also meet some crazy sumbiches, likely to be quite entertaining in an odd way. :lol3
  11. 243Win

243Win Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's just not a road trip without meeting the occasional wack-job. Adds to the "adventure". :D
  12. tx_medic

Oddometer:
    I would check the concealed handgun laws for each state you plan to be in as well. Don't know if you carry, but I wouldn't want to get hemmed up by a crook OR the cops!
  13. 243Win

243Win Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sort of an onerous task given 48 states. Given limited knowledge of the relative carry laws states to state and sort of guessing, would that not eliminate Illinois?

BTW, I'm pro-gun and not trying to start a debate at all, I'm just thinking given the multitude of conflicting state/city laws it would be impractical without extensive study to carry a handgun and it would probably affect the route. I know on my short western trip, the only consideration to that was to take a 10rd mag with me rather than the standard capacity 15rd mag for my Glock as I was entering California. Lacking a permit outside of Washington, I kept the pistol unloaded and the loaded mag in seperate locations on the bike. I dimly remember it being legal to carry from point A to point B and all points in between if the gun is legal in both starting and destination locales, but there are documented instances where this is ignored until extensive legal wrangling sorts it out and the interim period is not pleasant.

In a nutshell, out west, all good, back east, I'd be a little hesitant without a lot of research.
  14. tx_medic

Oddometer:
    We drove from PA to TX once and crossed through Virginia, not handgun friendly surprisingly. Just had to take everything down and store in the trunk for that leg. What I did was checked all the states in my route and wrote them down on a 3x5 card with the status my firearm had to be in for that state. If my CHL from TX was recognized I'd just put a check next to the state. Basically I had four statuses; green, yellow, red and black. It was annoying to have to do that, but worth it in my simple mind.

My buddy and I are planning a round trip bike tour from TX to D.C. right now, I'm planning to do the same reference card.
  15. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer

Oddometer:
    So are you out there living it?
  16. oldtouring B

oldtouring B Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Post up a sighting:D
  17. nsherman2006

nsherman2006 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Quick update:

12 states and 2k miles deep. Met a couple of really cool adv members, novamandan and riddenhard. Cherohala skyway and tail of the dragon was the ride of a lifetime, got with some very good riders and was able to push way harder than I could have on my own. I'm having a blast!

In savannah ga now, long boring interstate ride through Florida to palm city today. I've got some good pictures and a few stories, but I'm just going to do the ride report when I'm done and can upload pictures!

I'll check in every once in a while, thanks guys!
  18. JimOBrien

JimOBrien Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're getting thru more states than I've managed so far. 2400 miles and I'm still working on AZ. So 1.5 states and Baja. Good going.:freaky
  19. tx_medic

Oddometer:
    I'm looking forward to the dragon's tail next year! Keep it up, sounds like you're having a blast!
  20. 8thdwarf

8thdwarf perfect,just perfect

Oddometer:
    more!!!.... :lurk