Newbie planning 48 state road trip...advice welcomed!

Discussion in 'Americas' started by nsherman2006, Feb 23, 2011.

1. oldtouring B

oldtouring B Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    He is a great young man. Well mannered and really appreciates people helping him. My wife and I would have him back to visit anytime.

From what he told us about his trip, he is learning about riding VERY quick. No big mishaps. A few tipovers at rest. It seems when he walks away to take pictures, his bike decides to take a nap and lay down! Those damn skinny sidestands.

If any of our board members can offer overnights for the kid--Donot hesitate. Very trustworthy. Later
  2. Slabrocks

Slabrocks Out riding....

Oddometer:
    sounds like it is turning out to be a great trip. I hope mine goes as smoothly.... without the tipovers. (i have a center stand)

I'm in northern indiana if you need a place to land
  3. tx_medic

tx_medic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great endorsement! I'm really looking forward to my cross country tip now! It's good to see forum members helping one another out!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. nsherman2006

nsherman2006 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    K guys!

I'm back home (actually have been for almost a week)

Trip was cut short, but I made it to California! Ride report will be coming as soon as i get a chance to write it, may be a while though, I have a very busy few weeks coming up (gotta earn some money after I blew it all)

A huge thanks to the inmates who helped me out:

novamandan
    RiddenHard
    oldtouring B
    RocknTroll

Also ran into an inmate on the road from SLC, I believe it was Easy-Z.

All the help gave my view on human nature a huge positive boost, you see so much crap in the news it's great to get out and see how great some people really are!

More in a little bit, just wanted to post up a quick note for those who may be following.

Ride safe!

-Neal
  5. mac inger

mac inger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You know, i have been saving this thread because im leaving myself in a couple of weeks for a month or so round the country. So your list is a reference,..now that you are back (apart from a full ride report) id love to see some of the points of interest you hit and what would you do again and what not.

Now your turn to share the info :evil:ear
  6. tx_medic

tx_medic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you made it home safe. Can't wait for my trip now!
  7. nsherman2006

nsherman2006 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok, points of interest...let's see. I'm not really a tourist, so I didn't go to many of the touristy spots. Also, I only hit 26 states, so anything up north I missed. But from what I encountered:

-Washington DC is a really cool city, give yourself a good amount of time to walk around it

-Give yourself LOTS of time in VA/TN/NC. Skyline, Blue Ridge, Cherohala, Dragon, etc, plus loads of other not-so-well known roads that you'll run across. The more time you can spend there, the better.

-The four corners states (CO,AZ,NM,UT) are absolutely beautiful. Definitely the most picturesque part of the ride. The roads going to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon are pretty decent

-Canyon itself is worth it. North Rim is really cool, never been to the South Rim but I anticipate it would be pretty crowded.

-In Utah, there's lots of stuff to pass through. Zion charges entry, but you can go through Dixie National Forest, it's free, the ride is good, the view is great. I didn't see Moab, but I heard it was awesome, and SLC is another neat city.

-Be careful going up Donner Pass. Would have been a cool ride if it was light out and if it didn't end my trip ;)

-I let myself stray from my routes, but ended up staying on schedule-ish. Road map, GPS, have something that can identify twistier roads :)

Have a blast!