Newbie To Oregon

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by 117DRIVER, Aug 31, 2005.

1. 117DRIVER

117DRIVER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Greeetings Gang,

Mid September I'm moving out to Oregon. Any info on great ride spots would be appreciated. I'm working in Northwest Oregon but am open on areas to live near.

Thanks,

Alan
    02 XR 650R
    05 950 Adventure S
  2. Photogbiker

Photogbiker PDXGS Rider from afar

Oddometer:
    All kinds of places to get lost....I mean explore.

Visit the Portland crew at PDXGS.ORG and hook up on the first Sunday of the month. Post when you are actually in town and we can get together and load you up with more maps, routes, and uncharted space than you can handle.
  3. Quetzal

Quetzal Guatemalan Import

Oddometer:
    Get yourself a good radar detector or pace yoursef, the whole State is a speed trap: Wide open roads in perfect condition, very little traffic, 55MPH speed limit in all state roads and $276.00 fines!! Talk about official fund risers!

Other that the above, it's a very nice State for motorcycle riding! specially on the west side.
  4. Road Rash

Road Rash Infamous Supporter

Oddometer:
    Photogbiker is a good person to ride with.............................................if ya want to get lost :lol3 Hey, but thats half the fun.
    Where to live? I don't know, are you going to work? like the mountains? the beach? the desert? the City, a rough hood? the burbs? lots of choices.
  5. RiverRat280

RiverRat280 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So where is the place to live, the wife and I were there in June and now we're trying to decide if we want to live in the Portland area, Medford or Bend. Each place has somthing we like but not quite sure where we'll go.
  6. TongueLady

TongueLady Shine A Light

Oddometer:
    D'ya have kids in school? Stay out of the Portland School District til they get their shit together. (Outlying districts aren't having quite the problems.)
  7. 117DRIVER

117DRIVER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm working in Astoria with a 7 on 7 off schedule. Mountains are great, I'm in ohio now _________ to flat. The Hood River area seemed nice 10 years ago.
  8. 117DRIVER

117DRIVER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :lol3 I like your Quote about Australia. When I went on my interview the guys warned me about the 5o
  9. Road Rash

Oddometer:
    Will you be in Astoria this weekend? I'll be in Hammond (a couple of miles down river) my other home, lots of roads behind Astoria to ride if the gates are open. Goodliver is still nice (and windy) sailboarding on the river and riding in the hills.
  10. TongueLady

TongueLady Shine A Light

Oddometer:
    Astoria...beautiful in any direction you go from there!!!
  11. gbranham

gbranham Kool-aid Drinking Infidel KVNY Los Angeles

Oddometer:
    F117 driver?
  12. Voidrider

Voidrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Portland has to be the city I enjoy being in the most. I am not normally a city person, but I could see living near there....escape is not far away. Portland also have a lot of nice communities right around it.

Medford, growing by leaps and bounds, getting surrounded by housing developments. Still nice, too hot in the summers for my taste (100+) for a couple weeks. Otherwise, I love the climate, but I don't mind cloudy/rainy winters. Absolutely freaking love the countryside around there, lots of good roads and recreational areas. Getting to be pricy to buy a house in the area though.

Bend, fastest growing town in Oregon. Doesn't feel "too big" though. Hot, but not too hot in summers, cold, but not bitterly (by local standards) in winter. Housing not totally outrageous. Old timers gripe that the town has been "californicated" and are moving out into the desert. Mountains and desert nearby, some great roads, but winter snows.

If you want real city living...Portland. I prefer Medford over Bend, but I grew up out west of Medford about 40 miles. I miss the "green" side of Oregon, west of the Cascades. Luckily it is usually just a very nice ride away.

I live in Klamath Falls, its a LOT better of a place to live than it was years ago, but I don't really love it. Rather dislike it...but there are far worse places to live.
  13. Nessman

Nessman From the western slope of the bell curve

Oddometer:
    Highway 41 from Klatskanie to Mist is a hoot, the entire state of Eastern Oregon is probably the best kept secret in motorcycling, The Oregon Moto Guzzi Club is hella fun and you'll never have to pump your own gas again.

I loves Oregon.

Pokeyman
  14. 117DRIVER

117DRIVER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I won't be in Astoria until the 12th of september.
  15. 117DRIVER

117DRIVER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    BK-117 medivac helicopter :D
  16. Road Rash

Oddometer:
    I'll be back, see ya down there sometime.
    What are you doing? Coast Guard? Shuttling the Bar Pilots? :ear
  17. RiverRat280

RiverRat280 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The nice thing about living near Portland would be the wife likes the big city stuff but not living in one, I don't care for big citys but you drive for an hour and your in the middle of nowhere. Where I live you need to dive more like 3hrs for that. My summers are very hot and humid and winters are very cold, a friend of mine from Arizona couldn't take the humidity here in Wisconsin:lol3.

I really like the Medford area but the houses seemed crappy, ontop of eachother and very expensive(reminds me of Milwaukee), Bend seemed like much better houses for much less money but the desert wasn't as neat. I dunno, it will be a hard choice to make.