1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie with Garmin 680 T

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by dtaski, Jul 21, 2019.

1. dtaski

dtaski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Help this Newbie save time.

Do I need to download BASECAMP on to my 680 in order to import GP files ?

Thanks
  2. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    No. Basecamp is software that you download to a computer like a PC or Mac. It is used to create and maintain gpx files.
    It then allows you to transfer gpx files to and from the Montana and see what tracks, routes, and waypoints are on the Montana.

But you can also transfer gpx files directly to the Montana using something like Microsoft Explorer and a USB connection.

The files must be placed in the folder Garmin\GPX on either Internal Storage or a micro SD card.
    RiccoCarreramerica and dtaski like this.
  3. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bill, I met you at the RCR last year on the blue ribbon trail. I hope you don't mind me asking you a question this way.

What is the purpose of the SD card? I've searched for info on it, done lots of reading but haven't see a clear definition. Is it just a mirror of what is loaded on the device to be used to replace device files that become corrupted? Should I delete all the gpx files from the device and just use the SD card? Any advice appreciated.
  4. deserteagle56

deserteagle56 deserteagle56

Oddometer:
    The SD card is just extra memory availability. I have multiple different mapsets loaded on the SD card in my Montana, for different states and differing uses (hunting maps, land use maps, etc.). The internal memory of the Montana could not hold all those maps. But they work just fine off the SD card - just select the map you need at the time. You can load GPX tracks onto the SD card and use them the same way. Just extra memory for the unit.
    RiccoCarreramerica, wbbnm and duggram like this.
  5. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1