Newfoundland 2020

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Fuzzy74, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Fuzzy74

Fuzzy74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Planning a trip to Newfoundland in August 2020. Our bet / hope is this virus craziness will have slowed down enough in three months to allow trip. Currently 3 others in addition to myself planning to go: Nuke65, Old Can Ride and LM15. Last year it was Three Old Guys to Alaska. Maybe this year it will be Four Old Guys to Newfoundland. Nuke and I will be the youngsters. :lol3 Rides include a Versys 300X, Vstrom 650, Royal Infield INT, and NC700. We are all retired so can cancel at last minute or go in different direction if conditions won't allow trip. We will do a mix of camping and hotels.

In initial stages of planning and below is rough route we are considering. 6,200 road miles and 5 ferry rides for a few hundred more as routed. Basecamp won't show the ferry from Newfoundland to Maine. Route is paved roads but we may venture on some gravel side trips. We will gather in south central Tennessee and head north July 31 and make it to Gros Marne Park in Newfoundland in time for the Horizons Unlimited meeting. On the way south we will also attend the Horizons Unlimited meeting in Virginia where Nuke and I are scheduled to share our trip to Alaska last year. Ten back to Tennessee by Aug. 31. Sort of a figure 8 loop with the only backtrack between Gros Marne Park and Red Bay, Labrador. Route touches 17 states and 6 provinces.
    - North to Detroit
    - East to Niagara Falls
    - East to Mount Washington
    - Northeast to Prince Edward Island
    - Ferry to Nova Scotia.
    - Cabot Trail on way to North Sydney
    - Ferry to Argentia
    - West to Horizons Unlimited.
    - North to Viking settlement then Ferry to Quebec and ride up to Red Bay
    - Ferry back to Newfoundland and south to Port Aux Basq
    - South to Halifax then Yarmouth
    - Ferry to Bar Harbor Maine.
    - South west then west to West Point, NY (I want to see the second best military school in U.S..)
    - West on Grand Army of Republic Hwy 6
    - South to Virginia Horizons Unlimited.
    - Southwest back to Tennessee.

Need to figure out best roads, sights not to miss and where to spend the night. We will probably be looking for some tires on the way back. Any and all input is appreciated.

Newfoundland.jpg
    kneeslider likes this.
  2. SteelB12

SteelB12 Our Purity of Essence Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a ride to St Johns on my mind for end of May. Also hoping this virus crap is over by then. i'm going to spy on your thread and see if I can learn anything
  3. Fuzzy74

Fuzzy74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Feel free to spy. Hope end of May isn't pushing it for you. Read elsewhere here the Canadian border closing for non-essential travel has been extended to late May. Couple states in that direction still have tight restrictions too. Provide details if you get to make the trip. I hope you do.
  4. SteelB12

Oddometer:
    I can always push it to June. Given what happened to the economy in Virginia, I don't think I'll be starting new employment any time soon
  5. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great trip ahead for you!
    If you need any help/suggestions along Rt 6 in PA and south from there, give a shout. I'm fairly close to your route by the looks of it.
  6. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    May is not likely going to happen. We are still on lockdown.
    As for your proposed route if I may......
    Taking the ferry to Argentia and slabbing it across the province is a waste of time and money. The island is settled by the sea and the people and views are there. The TCH 1 is a slabfest to cut through the interior of the island point to point without seeing the real Newfoundland. You just spent alot of time and money for no gain. The idea would be to get off the ferry and run the coastal roads. If the wind is from the south...go north and loop around the coast (or vice versa). Fog and cold off the north atlantic will be predominant factors here so wind direction is key.
    If you wish further clarification or best see routes I know every accessible cove, bay and peninsula on this rock and have ridden them on motorbike.
    Edit. Where you could be riding;

7. Fuzzy74

Fuzzy74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Things will be in a state of flux for the next few months. There are a lot of political entities to sort out their action plans and hopefully
    they will listen to s
    ome good science in doing so. This is not a thread for political or scientific opinions. We will pay attention and go with the flow.

Couple possible wrenches:

1. Maine's government web page suggests their 14 day quarantine for visitors to the state will continue through August. This could necessitate going around Maine through Quebec in both directions.

2. Horizons Unlimited update on their HUB page states; "HU Newfoundland: Currently unchanged, but at high risk of postponement. August 11-14 2020" This is not critical to our adventure but indicates what they think will be happening in province and travel to province.
  8. Klinc207

Klinc207 To PERU!

Oddometer:
    I was also hoping to make a Newfoudland/Translab run in August for the HU meeting but have not pulled the trigger on the ferry ticket yet due to uncertainty. As stated, Maine is requiring a 14 day quarantine when entering from out of state.

Lets keep our heads up and hope for the best.

*Edit-

If borders do end up opening I have lots of tent space/garage in the midcoast of Maine. Might be on your track.
  9. Advntr

Advntr Answering the call of the wild

Oddometer:
    Western NY or out riding & passing you somewhere
    I'm probably on your track across western ny. Check your messages
  10. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I too was thinking about going out east. But from what I've read the Red Shoe pub wont be open and I bet it will be long wait times for lobster suppers and the like.

How packed will campgrounds along the way be? How many campers will be allowed? Will I have to stop riding at around 2 just to get a campsite? Standing in line getting groceries?

So many unknowns for travelling this year. It may end up being more frustration than it's worth. It will involve more planning and I'm not very good at that.

Another thought....will they limit capacity on the ferry? Could be a bitch trying to get a spot.

Next...do I want to be far from home in case I get sick? I have been isolating myself for weeks do I want to throw myself out there with folks who dont give a toss?

So many unanswered questions.....
  11. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The ferries are presently limited to 100 people per crossing due to C-19. They have yet to reach those numbers with crossings as few a 5 due to lack of travellers. Non trucker traffic is down 72%. You are also required to have a 2 week isolation plan in writing at any point of entry.

I reiterate these are the restrictions as of today. They could be relaxed as this plays out but the Govt of NL are taking this very seriously.
    RG1984, ahung12 and Fuzzy74 like this.
  12. Fuzzy74

Fuzzy74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Please keep us updated. Hoping 3 months makes a difference. Working back up plan for trip to state parks in Western U.S. if this doesn't work out this year.
    SteelB12 likes this.
  13. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Effective today the Govt of NL has implemented a travel ban. Anyone coming into the province is required to be a resident of this province or have a work purpose to be here. 2 week isolation protocol remains in place. Even if you have a summer residence here you can not enter. Exemptions will be granted solely at the discretion of the chief medical officer.
    Tough times in the tourism industry.
  14. SteelB12

Oddometer:
    Well, looks like i'll be riding in Virginia this year.
  15. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Newfoundland is "home" for me, but I don't live there. Not happening for 2020...

"Health Minister John Haggie says if you do not normally live in the province, you need to have some specific reason for coming here, but documentation to prove that will be needed.

He says that could include medical or health reasons, compassionate grounds, or being an essential worker.

Haggie says if you’re coming for a vacation or to visit a seasonal home, then this year is not the year for you."
  16. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    That's gonna suck for Nfld Tourism...

I was planning on 2 trips. An ATV/SxS trip with 12ish machines and about 15-16 people crossing the rock for 12 days. And then another family trip for 3 weeks..

And that's just 1 story...

As for our southern neighbours, I doubt you'll get into Canada, never mind Nfld.

jfman likes this.
  17. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would like to visit out east to see the sights but also support thier tourist industry. I would even forgo some of my frugal tendencies in order to spend more money there.

Maybe by August or late August?but who knows. I feel disappointment for skibum as they have been working on thier hostel/b&b/campground for so long now with the schedule opening this spring.

But I fully support the mandate from the province since thier resources are limited on the island.
    Maggot12 likes this.
  18. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    Resources may be limited....but when on an island.....the ability to limit visitors is a great way to keep this virus away!
    Maggot12 likes this.
  19. Fuzzy74

Fuzzy74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So if you were going to ride the northern coast of eastern region (north of Gander for example) you would get there from the west and not coming up from Argentia?

Here is a quote from another southern rider who visited Newfoundland on a motorcycle.
    Thanks for all you input.
  20. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Can skin the cat from either ferry port, but I'm always a fan of the Argentia route. iIt'll add more cost though. It leaves NS around 5pm and gets in Argentia around 9am. Get a cabin and you'll have you're own bath/shower and ready to go the next am. You can be on incredible coastal routes minutes off the ferry. And meander north west to your hearts content. You will still have to see some TCH to get through the neck of the avalon towards Bonavista Peninsula.

LM15 and Fuzzy74 like this.