Newfoundland Advice

Discussion in 'Canada' started by BDMF, Dec 15, 2004.

1. charles960

charles960 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am just thinking about going up this June. I will be in new york state for the 4th of july, and thought about going from Labrador across to Nova Scotia, then back to maine and angle down to NY. I figure 2-3 weeks total; then return to Georgia.

Charles
  2. Coolhand

Coolhand Puck slapping maplesucker

Oddometer:
    you could easly kill a few days riding around the west coast alone. alot of nice photo ops. Check out my website for pics from rides of various areas including the rail bed.

http://www.jgwp.com
  3. trailuser

trailuser take the backroads

Oddometer:
    Hello,

I spotted this thread and had to jump in:

I'm toying with the idea of riding my KLR to Newfoundland in 2005. I may slip down to Miquelon Island and run a race (running race 25K) as well. Anyone out there know much about these French ruled Islands?

It's very interesting to read these threads from people who live there! The internet is a wonderful thing!!

I orignally had planned on riding to Labrador & Newfoundland this past summer and making it a 2 week trip. Maybe I need to re-think this....It's important to "smell the roses" along the way
  4. barko1

barko1 barko1 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm heading that way in later June. I have business in Buffalo so I thought I might head that way otherwise head up through Ontario and back to New mexico through the Rockies. Great info here. Anyone know info about the ferry to Goose Bay from NF? Could find the connection.
  5. Coolhand

Oddometer:
    i havent been to the area myself so i dont know if this info is still accurate or not.

There is daily ferry service in summer between St. Barbe on Newfoundland's Viking Trail and Blanc Sablon on the Quebec-Labrador border. Take this ferry to reach Route 510. Crossing time is 80 minutes.

For reservations or information on schedules and rates, contact:

The Woodward Group

St. Barbe Ferry Terminal

St. Barbe, NF

A0K 1M0

Telephone: 1-800-563-6353
  6. driller

driller Twist and Go

Oddometer:
    My plans are to go out the last week of August. Taking the Scotia Prince over to NS from Portland. One of my riding mates from here went out last summer and raved about it. Will be consulting with Brad at the EOTW rally in June.Can't wait. :thumb
    Charles, there will be vintage TT races at Shubie Track in NS the weekend of July 9-10 if you are passing through then.
    Let me know when you are coming through Maine...I speak the coastal dialect of Georgia. :freaky
    Driller
  7. Snivly Dweeb

Snivly Dweeb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Better late than never....

I did a trip to the Rock 2 summers ago and as a suggestion check out the provincial park system if you are camping it.

Some of the parks were pretty basic, but it seems they are being upgraded.

Time I think is the big thing. Seems that 2 weeks is not enough except for a quick tour.

Maybe look at it as recon for future trips.

If you are coming off the ferry at port o basques there is Cheeseman provicial park about half an hour away,and if things are rough weatherwise coming off the ferry, wait it out . Unfortunately the road is not well marked heading east/north but you will notice a huge parking lot on the right about 3 km's down the road from the ferry. This is because the winds are pretty horendous and if I remember the name correctly the strip from Port o Basque to Stephenville is called the wreck yard or somesuch(ok, I am having a mental block) for that reason. Funny, you see warning signs all over heading from the other direction.

(Ask me how I know) :huh

For those with a bit more perk for an hour and a half drive check out Blow me down provincial park to the west of Cornerbrook. It seems like I saw 4 types of weather in 3 km's , and a real interesting road out to it .I met up with quite a few touring types at the park,and in speaking to them it seems the rep is passed on word of mouth.I will see if I can scan a few photos in the next few days. :thumb

Heya Driller :D
    You are halfway there from my viewpoint.Still using a KLR?

Snivly in Montreal
  8. Coolhand

Oddometer:
    the wreckhouse is a strip of highway outside of port au basque that runs along some uniquly shaped mountians that funnel the wind pretty much directly onto the highway. gusts easily hit 140 or more kph perpendictular to the road, usually blowing transports, bus's ect over. jsut a few weeks ago we had a bus blow over actually. not much worries about it in the summer though, mostly a winter thing.

another park to consider is barachois prov park, about 20 min from stephenville, say just over an hour from the ferry depending on your pace. nice park, full services, usually small boat rentals ect. and it has a nice mountian hiking trail that takes a few hours to go up and down giving a great view of the area.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  9. driller

driller Twist and Go

Oddometer:
    Just arrived in Georgia tonight. Left Maine in a snow shower. Nice to be riding this week and better yet to be thinking about riding to "The Rock" in August.
    SD, I am still thumping along. PM me an e-mail address and I will send you a "finger " pic when I get back home in a couple of weeks.
    Think warm thoughts.....Might have to wear my mesh jacket tomorrow. :lol3
  10. Newfie_DR650

Newfie_DR650 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Edge of the World, St. John's, Newfoundland
    OK,

I am a Newfie Riding DR650 Nut. I also own a 98 Buell S1 Lightning so don't hold that against me either.

I have ridden the DR to the top of Marble Mountain on the West Coast of the island and have had it down at Cape Race on the Southern Avalon Peninsula.

Two weeks will only give you a sneak peek of this place.

For those interested my rubber arm could possibly be twisted in giving a guided tour depending on the time and how nice I am to my wife between now and your point of arrival.

The old railway bed is a fantastic way to see the interior of the island, as well as the numerous side roads and logging roads in the Central and Western Part of the island.

Drop me an email or PM.

Bill

I only wish I could post some pictures.
  11. Coolhand

Oddometer:
    newfie dr650 - where are you from on the island?
  12. Kaumajet

Kaumajet H.I.D. Positive

Oddometer:
    Yeah, where you from? : :ear

E-mail them to me if you want, and I'll put them up for you. Or, get yourself a smugmug account like most of us use here, and save yourself $5 when you paste this coupon - 1YgVkkg4ByaqA - into your application :D

Brad Vardy (from Corner Brook)
  13. Newfie_DR650

Newfie_DR650 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Edge of the World, St. John's, Newfoundland
    St. John's,

I'll send a few pictures when I was at the top of Marble Mtn last summer.
  14. dragoon

dragoon I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer:
    So what's everybody doing? :ear

Our plans have changed a bit. I think with some of the info and PM's I received that we are going to stay in the western part of the island. I think it would be too much in the 4 days we're going to be there.

We're meeting somewhere in the west on July 22.

:ear
  15. Coolhand

Oddometer:
    if your only going to be here for 4 days, its your best bet to stick to one area...and the west is one of the best...you can hit up gross morne etc...prob head up further north for a day.
  16. ptc05ADV

ptc05ADV Looking for adventure Supporter

Oddometer:
    Eastern Ontario, great roads & lots of deer
    Hey BDMF (and crew),

Let me knowif you decide to take the scenic route into Labrador... I've got some route specific advice that might save your life!, Not kidding.

More importantly, when you get to Lab City call me so that I can have some wet ones waiting for you at the other end. Where are you planning to stay in Goose?:1drink

Best regards,

Peter
  17. dragoon

Oddometer:
    :thumb

Any other suggestions? :ear
  18. dragoon

Oddometer:
    Anybody have a specific place they would stay near Stephenville Crossing or Cornerbrook?

There will be 5 of us getting off the ferry at 6:30pm. Wanting a cabin for a base camp for a couple days.

Does it stay light later in NF? :ear Around here it's dark about 9:00pm
  19. dragoon

Oddometer:
    Doesn't anybody give a shit? :ear :lol3
  20. TREE

TREE Interloper

Oddometer:
    Goonie, I know some tenting areas, might not be many here who have a handle on cabins or preferred motels.

Great campground at Blow Me Down park just west of Cornerbrook on the road to Bottle Cove.

If you get off the ferry at 630pm you may not want to run that far, I would look in the Codroy Valley area or Stephenville.
    There is another campground at Barachois Pond park, just before #480 turns east to Burgeo, close to Stephenville Xing.