Newfoundland roads?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by tshelver, Aug 30, 2006.

1. tshelver

tshelver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beween here (SE Asia) and there (Southern Africa)
    Looking for info on the road surface / condition: road north from Port Au Basque to St Barbe.

Got a hair up my butt today, getting cabin fever and need to get out and ride.

The VFR is up and ready to go, the Husky is still in progress. So, if the road is good dirt or paved, I'm out of here Saturday or Sunday for a NH / ME / NS / NL / QC (north coast via ferry to Natashqan) / whatever kind of trip.
  2. drnova

drnova Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The road from Port aux Basque to St Barbe is surfaced and in good condition. Is there a ferry from Blanc Sablon to Natashquan and Route 138?
  3. tshelver

Oddometer:
    Yes, supposedly once a week. Bikes / cars taken as general cargo, as it's billed as a passenger ferry. Supposed to be 36 hours.

That lets me run the whole way on paved roads, maybe some dirt side trips. Was going to take the Husky on a longer / more dirt trip, but the Husky is still coming together, and I've got cabin fever.

Hope to head out Saturday or Sunday. NH, Quebec City, 138 to Baie Comeau, up around Lac St Jean, back down to 138, up to Natashquan, ferry to Blanc Sabon, maybe ride a bit into southern Lab, ferry to St Barbe, 3 / 4 days (maybe more) on Newfieland, ferry to Nova Scotia, run the Cabot trail and maybe a few others, back to Maine, down the coast (some great roads) towards Bar Harbor, and home.
    May go north in Maine back into Quebec instead of the usual central Maine route home.
  4. gpothoven

gpothoven whatever

Oddometer:
    check www.ridetherock.com or talk to Coolhand. He's a Newfie and runs that site. Very cool guy.
  5. Coolhand

Coolhand Puck slapping maplesucker

Oddometer:
    Hey Gpo :wave still following your ride.

Roads are in decient condition. There are some rough patches, ie: there are a few kilometers betweet stephenville and cornerbrook that is in serious need of a resurfacing, but other than those occasional rough spots, its pretty good. There has been some recient resurfacing of the TCH towards the east coast of the island, and heading up the northern pen, its pretty good (or at least was last time i was up there) as it usually gets the attention it needs due to the high tourist traffic. we have had way to much rain in the last year, and its forcasted to be a wetter than usual fall agian this year, which has let to alot of patch work and temporary bridges on alot of smaller rural roads....just slow down on those temporary baily bridges if you encounter them.
  6. winmac

winmac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I found the blacktop in Nfld to be much better than what we got here in Nova Scotia. There was some resurfacing work being done on the viking trail, there was a cruiser crosing over a bridge that was being redone and he was stacking blocks of wood so he could drive over the concreet joints. I laughed to myself as I bliped the throttle and lobed the front wheel over them.
  7. geralds34

geralds34 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    tshelver - We are heading that way, sent ya an email
  8. darrell

darrell Long Time BMW Rider

Oddometer:
    Along with 3 friends I had the opportunity to spend a week on The Rock the second week of July. We had perfect weather for 5 of the days. We arrived at Port aux Basques, rode up the west side to see the Viking Village on the north tip; which was discovered in the 1960's, and then headed back to Deer Lake. The Gros Morne is worth a full day of riding and sight seeing. Then it was off to Twillingate (pretty lighthouse), Gander (nice air musuem), Bonavista Peninsula, and Argentia. A good option I did not use correctly would be to take the 15 hour ferry from Argentia, NL to Syndey, NS overnight and rent a $20.00 bunk on board. Saves a full day of traveling and a cheap nights rest. The movie titled The Worlds Fastest Indian was being shown on board so I got a free movie out of the deal. All tiedowns were furnished on the NL ferries but I suggest you bring soft tie straps and maybe one set of tie downs just in case. The roads were good all 1700 miles on the Rock assuming a few potholes and washboard sections are part of you expectations. If you enjoy fresh fish 3 meals a day this is heaven. There are some motorcycle dealers along the way so supplies including tires are available.

I enjoyed the trip enough I plan to head back in May of 2008 with plans to spend a full 3 weeks on The Rock plus some time in NL. I understand going in May or early June increases the likelihood you will see icebergs and whales.

I found The Rocks people to be as friendly as one could imagine. I like their slower pace of life, interest in family and friends is very stong and a people who love to make you feel at home. The smaller the village, restaurant, motel, etc the better the chance you'll experience the real culture of The Rock.

Darrell
  9. tshelver

Oddometer:
    PMed you.