Newfoundland to Iceland

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Schlug, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Schlug

Schlug JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    Help me find a way to get from Newfoundland/Labrador to Reykjavik, Iceland.

Any flights? At all? I can't seem to find fuck-all from Halifax. Newfoundland-->Greenland-->Iceland.

It makes so much sense, aside from not being able to get there.

How about a boat?
  2. tat2

tat2 where's ya too?

Oddometer:
  3. drcool

drcool R.I.P. Dave

Oddometer:
    A brief check some time ago came up with major hubs only. Toronto, and i think NYC. Very little traffic to Iceland I guess.

Can't even remember why I checked.

What's the interest? Could make for quite the travel log.:ear
    drcool
  4. Schlug

Schlug JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    Just a whimsical thought, really. Years ago in grad school I met a lovely Icelander and we talked about what it was like to live there. Quite fond of Sigur Ros, I figured, 'why not?'

My next big excursion would be from the States to Newfoundland/Labrador, and once you look at the map and see how close Greenland is, and then Iceland, I figured I could ditch the bike for a week or so and see what it's all about.

But it seems like I'd need to go back to Toronto or Newark in order to get there.

So then I figured maybe I'd just ride the bike to Toronto and take off from there. But then I'm on the bike for half a day each side. Not much of an adventure.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8cZGgtN42ns" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  5. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    I can understand the desire to get there, I've seen some wicked ride reports from euro riders who go there.

I think your SOL in a direct flight from the Rock. Why not take the boat from Europe?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The weekly Smyril Line passenger ferry to Iceland...

A Smyril Line passenger & car ferry called the 'Norröna' sails roughly once a week between April & October from Hirtshals in northern Denmark to Torshavn in the Faeroe Islands & Seydisfjördur in Iceland. The voyage from Denmark to Iceland aboard the "Norröna" takes 2 or 3 nights depending on the sailing schedule. Sailing days and times vary, so see either the Seat61 Ferry Shop or www.smyril-line.com for times, fares & online booking.

Note that passengers are not carried to Iceland in winter*, presumably as the weather is so poor at that time of year. The passenger part of the 36,000 ton "Norröna" is to cruise ship standards, all cabins have TV, shower and toilet. There is a swimming pool, sauna, children's playroom, restaurant & shops. The Smyril Line ship used to call at Lerwick in the Shetland Islands, but stopped calling there in 2008. In the past she has used Esbjerg & Hanstholm as her Danish ports, but will sail from Hirtshals on all sailings from late 2010 and in 2011.

(* It's reported that there are in fact sailings in winter, although Smyril Line don't advertise them, because they often have to be cancelled. Nonetheless they all seem to run through February & March. To book winter sailings you have to contact Smyril Line directly. You may have to do it last minute, but they're never going to be short of berths at that time).
    How to travel to Iceland from the UK...

You'll need to travel to Hirtshals at the northern tip of Denmark to board the Smyril Line ship to Iceland as she no longer calls at any UK port.

First, pick a sailing, so see www.smyril-line.com for the sailing schedule or use the seat61 Ferry Shop.

Now work out train connections from the UK to Denmark. There are two main options. Option 1 is to take a train from London Liverpool Street to Harwich International in Essex, then the 3-times-a-week DFDS Seaways (www.dfds.co.uk) ferry 'Dana Sirena' from Harwich across the North Sea to Esbjerg. See the London to Denmark page for full details. A very comfortable and leisurely way to get there, especially if you use their superb Commodore class.

The second option is to take an afternoon Eurostar to Brussels, a high-speed Thalys or ICE train to Cologne and the daily overnight Cologne-Copenhagen City Night Line sleeper train as far as Odense, see the London to Denmark page.

Then take a train from Esbjerg or Odense to Hjørring. Simply use the online timetable at http://bahn.hafas.de to find train connections from Esbjerg or Odense to Hjørring. Then take the local train from Hjørring to Hirtshals, a distance of 17 km (10 miles). Trains on this little private railway run at least every hour and the fare is 27 Kroner. Note that as this is a private railway, not DSB (Danish national railways), the journey planner at http://bahn.hafas.de will not recognise Hirtshals, hence my advice to work out trains to Hjørring first. Alternatively, you could take a taxi from Hjørring to Hirtshals, see www.hhbusservice.dk.

How to travel to Iceland from mainland Europe...

If you're starting in mainland Europe, the best place to pick up the Iceland ferry is in Denmark. First check ferry sailings at www.smyril-line.com or the seat61 Ferry Shop. To find train times from anywhere in Europe to Hjørring (for Hirtshals), use http://bahn.hafas.de (English button upper right).
    On arrival in Iceland...

Seydisfjördur is on the east of Iceland, a 9-hour drive by car from Reykjavik. For long-distance bus services in Iceland, see www.bsi.is.

DW
  6. bumper1871

bumper1871 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. BluenoseGuy

BluenoseGuy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Icelandair runs a summer direct service from Halifax. Not sure what days of the week it's available.
  8. klondike1

klondike1 Nobody in particular

Oddometer:
    Maggot12 likes this.
  9. Francesco772

Francesco772 n00b

Oddometer:
  10. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    Freighter but no ferry. Eimskip is the carrier with a route from Boston MA, Halifax NS, Argentia NL and seasonally St Anthony NL. Container service IIRC.
  11. Hollyr

Hollyr Vesterislendingur Supporter

Oddometer: