Newfoundland two Wheel Inn and Campground under construction

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by skibum69, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm taking a page from Mosko Moto here to start my vendor thread for a Moto, bicycle focused B&B/Inn/lodge or whatever you want to call it and campground my girlfriend and I are building. I certainly have plenty of ideas and aspirations for what I want to create and I think I have a pretty good idea of what most riders want and expect from places they want to stay.

We plan to offer 4 rooms and I'm thinking we can get at least 6 campsites. There is already an outdoor shower. There is a dedicated drying/cleaning room already laid out.

I have a garage-"the shed" in local culture. I can put bikes in the basement if need be. I have a full selection of tools and a 1500lb bike lift. For cyclists I have a work stand and a full set of Park tools.

The local BMW dealer is my shop sponsor so that partnership is already there, the owner is the best mechanic in the province. At the moment I have a Mercedes Sprinter if bikes need to be delivered.

Right now we're renovating the upstairs to bring it out of the 70's, we've pretty much decided what we want to do there but are open to suggestions.

I figure asking the community for feedback and ideas will only add to what's in my head to make this one of the best places to stay anywhere.

The questions for all of you out there begin: what do you want to find where you choose to stay for a night or a few nights? Do you look for Moto specific venues? What extras will make it better? What will make it great? What do you hate?

It's a beautiful place to visit and a fun place to ride so you all should start planning a trip. To start things off here's a snapshot of the front of the house which really doesn't tell you much at all.

[​IMG]
    For all of you asking yourselves where the hell New Melbourne, Newfoundland is, here's a map
    [​IMG]
    Thank you in advance for your help. Onward and upward!

Mike & Sarah
    nw_gser#0001, VO1MX, bobw and 10 others like this.
  2. SSBB

SSBB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey best of luck to you!
  3. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Good luck in the endeavour. I may take you up on that. Certainly will take a visit late next month.

I see some sites in the "bike next to tent" thread where there's a half shelter with a roof but no walls. I have never used one where I camp, but I always think those are cool.

I also went to Algonquin park for a rally there and stayed at the wolf's den.

They have a communal kitchen in the main building with a few little cabins that sleep 2 to 6 people. Some parks have yurts.

So what I'm saying is between the b&b and camping, offer something for the traveller so they can somewhat camp but stay dry.

Especially on the Rock this time of yr where the rider will see wet and cold conditions.

Again, good luck.
  4. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Hey Maggot, thanks for the thoughts. Lean-to's might be a thing a little later down the road. As it is we plan to have platforms for tents to lessen modifying the landscape.
  5. SteverinoB

SteverinoB EstebanarinoB

Oddometer:
    Great news and good luck. We will be sure to look you up when we find ourselves in your neighbourhood.
  6. skibum69

Oddometer:
    So, here's a little on the renos: these are the three rooms on the back of the house with one little one being the nursery of of a bedroom. Odd little spot with the first room having had a do over maybe 20 years ago. The ugly beam breaks up the room. The living room downstairs had one that I replaced a few years ago.
    [​IMG]
    This is the other back bedroom and it had a closet and a nursery off of it.
    [​IMG]
    This was the little nursery, it's getting converted into a drying room with a laundry sink etc for cleaning gear as well.
    [​IMG]
    Wasn't this a stylish bathroom?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Pulling it all apart there was almost no insulation in the walls or ceiling which was no surprise knowing how cold it is in the winter. This view is looking from the bathroom through the wall into the pink room. A patchwork job of a beam and no surprise the floor had sagged a bunch of inches as the beam and wall run parallel to the floor joists. It's an old house and we don't play marbles, no worries.
    [​IMG]
    We dropped the ceiling in the dormer for the bathroom and what will be the drying room to allow for lots of insulation. You can see that ugly beam there.
    [​IMG]
    The crappy beam was definitely not to my liking, I want to open that space up and clean up the lines. Bring on the LVL beams.
    [​IMG]
    Now that space is far cleaner, ready to wall it up for the bathroom sans stupid beam.
    [​IMG]
    So much better, ready to frame out the bathroom.
    [​IMG]
    Right now hoping my contractor can get in to replace the 5 windows before he leaves on vacation to make it easier to frame up the false walls to add more insulation. Yes we will be insulating walls between rooms to keep it quiet.

In case I didn't mention it but I have virtually no experience doing contractor and carpentry work. It all takes me awhile to do things as I have to learn as I go. Good times.
    RedRocket, cheapeto, sick_boy and 2 others like this.
  8. smoothride

smoothride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will keep this on the list . I am would like to leave southwestern Ontario the weekend after labor day going to Labrador city then across NL. On a 3 week trip..
  9. skibum69

Oddometer:
    That's a nice ride for sure
  10. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Typical Newfoundland woods have a lot of black spruce and some birch. Small scraggly trees like my back yard are the norm. We are cleaning out the brush down to raking. The plan is to put tent platforms down and open up better paths to bring your bike next to your tent. We figure we can probably get half a dozen good sites laid out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have a small apple orchard with half a dozen old trees, at past rallies most tents set up here, it's a beautiful place to set up. For the B&B we will not use it to keep heavy traffic down to protect the roots. The occasional tent for whatever reason will be fine. You can see where the house is in the last pic. I camp here on occasion if I don't have time to go anywhere.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Maggot12 likes this.
  11. skibum69

Oddometer:
    It's pretty much the nicest property along this while stretch of coast, previous owners were mad gardeners and left me tons of flowers and little rock walls etc all over the place. While I'm away working my girl is home spending her days getting garden beds ready, clearing brush and rescuing choked out flowers. The fireweed may be banished and large plots of groutweed are going.

We will have plenty of fresh vegetables, garden bed #2, the first one in the front yard has garlic and that bed will be removed to plant one or two cherry trees.
    [​IMG]
    She calls this hole in the ground the fairy portal, a fire pit with benches around is destined for the rear plot.
    [​IMG]
    We spend a lot of time gathered around the fire sipping on beverages.
    [​IMG]
    Walking up the drive from the road, the fire pit area is behind right of the tent you can see
    [​IMG]
    This is the reverse looking down the drive, we're planning bike parking out of sight on the left.
    [​IMG]
    The front yard on the road side, the garlic is down there a little left
    [​IMG]
    Looking back towards the fire ring go left, this is the "shed" where we hang by the fire and tip a few, old school with a really nice board floor. Comfy for working on bikes etc.
    [​IMG]
    I said I have a Sprinter right? I have tarped over the driveway for rallies before, having lots of space is nice. There has been discussion of replacing that shed with a bigger one and a bunky on top but it won't be any time soon.
    CavReconSGT and 2dogs1cat like this.
  12. PWRCRZR

PWRCRZR Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer:
    This looks like a great idea and a big undertaking. Good luck with the renovations.
    I really need to get my wife on board with a trip up. I have never heard a bad review about riding up there.
  13. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Oddly enough it doesn't feel like that big an undertaking to me except if I spend too much time thinking about the reno's. I'm looking forward to getting going and hoping enough people want to find us.

As for riding up here I can promise you tons of pretty coastlines, twisty roads and waaay more rugged scenery than anything you have in Maine. I did 5 seasons at Sunday River in my 20 years of ski bumming.
  14. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Not a great shot but this is my beach, it takes about 5 minutes to walk there. I'll try to take some better shots of the neighbourhood when I'm home next week.
    [​IMG]
    This is looking south at my little town of less than 100 people, my house is circled so you can see how close the water is. There is a dirt road to the beach, my house is on the corner of that road and the main road.
    [​IMG]
    bobw, sick_boy and CavReconSGT like this.
  15. skibum69

Oddometer:
    My rodo's and some poppies are just starting to bloom, Sarah has been putting photos of them up on Facebook. I on the other hand am 3000 miles away working 14.5 hour days, 7 days a week. Getting this project going will allow me to stay at home for the first time ever. In 10 years I have never spent more than 2 weeks at one time in my house.:jjen
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My beautiful, happy garden girl! She's gonna kill me when she finds out I put up a pic of her.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    One of her many talents is flower arranging.
    [​IMG]
    bobw, CavReconSGT and Maggot12 like this.
  16. brgsprint

brgsprint Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks great. Best of luck to you.

I hope to get up that way before too long. Maybe next year. I'll certainly keep you in mind. If solo, it's a tent. If Mrs BRG is along, it's a bed.
  17. skibum69

Oddometer:
    This is the smallest bedroom, we need to get the other side at least to the Sheetrock stage before we start ripping this apart. We use the two quasi serviceable bedrooms for guests and storage while the other side gets worked on.
    [​IMG]
    This room is actually a little bigger than it looks and right now it is full of crap. These pics are from when I first looked at the house before I bought it. Furniture is different but everything else is pretty much the same.
    [​IMG]
    This is part of the common area and it will get a full redo along with everything else. Books, maps etc and a nice cozy area to sit and read plus a few amentities to do a wee bit of cooking if anyone so chooses. This door to the bedroom will be moved to keep the common area more cohesive.
    [​IMG]
    There will be a new fridge going in here, in the off season it will probably be full of beer, for some reason Sarah keeps wanting to put food in the one in the kitchen?:confused
    [​IMG]
    There are big closets that will be useful.
    [​IMG]
    Right now stuff is everywhere, this is the common area too, that stupid beam and upright are going to get the same treatment. Where the boards are on the left is where the chimney is, that is all going to be removed to expose it and open up more space. When it's all opened up it should turn into a pretty nice space.
    [​IMG]
    So far so good, I just found out my contractor can't get my windows in before he leaves for vacation. Bummer. I'm looking forward to the remodel. Downstairs was not to my taste, now that it's done it's a nice place to be. I have to figure out the stairs, the dusty rose carpet is a reminder of what the whole living room and hallway was. I peeled a mile of wallpaper border from the walls downstairs.
    [​IMG]
    Sno Dawg likes this.
  18. skibum69

Oddometer:
    The back yard, I'm pretty much standing in the fire pit, the shed is off to the right and the little potting shed and garden plots are off to the left where the drive goes down to the road. The oil tank is getting replaced and moved into the basement with plans to put a deck along the back of the house that will wrap around the corner to the front door. I plan on having a ramp to make loading crap In and out of the house easier and then I could put motos in the living room.:jack
    There's the outdoor shower, I love the outdoor shower! I use it all summer down to about 10°C. That is also a door right into the bathroom which makes life good for peeling off wetsuits in the winter to jump straight into a hot shower.:D
    My new tent leaks like a sieve right out of the gate, waiting to see what warranty offers for a replacement.
    [​IMG]
    bobw and Maggot12 like this.
  19. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    What an awesome spot to hang out for a fire and a beverage among friends and guests. Lots of great ideas and a few different options while staying.

The misses is doing great with the gardening. That'll add a lot of value and positives for older couples staying there. Fresh produce to eat, and meandering thru the colours will be a nice addition to the otherwise beer chugging bunch. :lol3

Good luck with the reno's and the business venture

I'll drop over in a few weeks.
  20. skibum69

Oddometer:
    We spend a lot of time hanging out in the back yard watching our nesting pair of Merlins. Merle the boy really likes Pavarotti, he'll hang out and preen for ages while he's on. He squawks at Sarah when she puts on Steely Dan. Lynn the girl doesn't' seem to mind either one.

I'm home tomorrow for 2 days, then booked home on the 23rd of July, looks like a few might converge with CBerry and C-Stain showing up close to those dates too.

She keeps it sensible at the fire pit by sending the hoodlums off to the shed.:lol3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.