Newfoundland Two Wheel Inn & Campground under construction

Discussion in 'Canada' started by skibum69, Jun 21, 2017.

1. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was surprised she said pretty much only her arms were a bit sore afterwards. She shifted a shit ton of rocks and she said she moved each one at least 3 times to get it right! I'm stoked to see it on person, she says it looks great from the road.
  2. fredgreen

fredgreen let's take it apart....

Oddometer:
    She needs to get to work on a stone root cellar!
  3. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Funny you should say that, see the little hatch on the front left of the house? That is dead space in front of the foundation that is going to be turned into a deadly root cellar. We need to dig it down a bit but then I plan to cut in a doorway from the basement. It will also give me some cellar space for beer.:D
    [​IMG]

We spent a little time looking around the property for a good location to build a root cellar and then the missus had a look in there and was ecstatic. Of course I had completely forgotten that space was there.
  4. fredgreen

fredgreen let's take it apart....

Oddometer:
    I’m nobody’s fool, I figured it was already in the works!
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  5. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Correct!
  6. MiltonHog

MiltonHog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really hope after all the work you have done you get a season to try and recoup some rental money.

Is NL expecting to open to tourist travel this year. We had thought of going out there this year if the season opens.
  7. skibum69

Oddometer:
    No idea, they are just opening up the "double bubble" concept and are waiting 28 days I think before they look at the next step. But they have shut down inter province travel to a higher degree since a pile of iceberg watching tourists ruined it for everyone. I think it will be awhile before the doors are open for visitors from outside and there's a lot of talk about staycations here.

Not a huge deal for us, it's not costing me anything not to have guests and I am very fortunate to actually be working right now, but the down side is I'm out for 6 weeks at a time and only home in self isolation for 2. Certainly we will start taking people in when we can but we also have to be extra careful as my missus has asthma. We don't expect to be able to open until next year but maybe by then I'll have some tent sites ready.
    2dogs1cat, Davidprej, MGV8 and 7 others like this.
  8. MiltonHog

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the answer and the info. My wife has never been to the Rock and we hoped to go this year. Maybe we have to wait till next year. I am glad you are able to get through the season as most in tourist business make the year in about 4 months . I do understand your concern over her athsma.

Again thanks for the reply.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  9. skibum69

Oddometer:
    We were supposed to open this spring for the first time but obviously that's a no go. This won't be a business we'll rely on overly much for awhile as I'm still doing my regular work so it's really a non issue. It will give us more time to polish up a few more details but now I don't know when I'll be able to get my new shed built. The showers and toilets for the campers won't get built this spring either so a couple of things delayed. Still not a big deal.

If I were you I'd skip this year and make your plans for next year then we'll be able to take proper care of you when you get here.
    MiltonHog, Night_Wolf, MGV8 and 2 others like this.
  10. MiltonHog

Oddometer:
    Ya that what we were thinking maybe a year of backroading in Ontario keeping the money here for a change.
    skibum69 likes this.
  11. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I would say that sounds like a sensible option, if I ever get to go out and ride this year I too am staying in province. The Horizons Unlimited event scheduled for August o the west coast hasn't been cancelled yet and if my work gets out of self isolation I'll actually be able to go. But I'm not holding my breath.

I have another week long lighthouse tour I've been wanting to do as well.
    B10Dave, MiltonHog and Night_Wolf like this.
  12. MiltonHog

Oddometer:
    We were originally heading to Idaho Wyoming in June but the border is not likely to be open. NFLD was second choice but I saw last week your Gov't asked folks to stay home. It makes sense to protect your people. I am a patient man and will see you guys when this is done. I have been following your thread since the beginning . Good work with a lot of sweat and labour. Keep safe.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  13. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot for following us and staying interested, we really hope to have a great place for people to come stay. Just giving the missus a shove right now to get a website together. With most folks travel plans this year disrupted they are looking to next year and planning now with time at home. We need to have a little more presence than just this thread.
  14. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Have any ideas for a Web Domain? Get a FB/Instagram/Twitter presence too. If you need a Domain check out Sibername as they are Canadian. If you need hosting, I can point you in the right direction for that too. I own 4 domains & have had hosting since 2002
  15. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer, the missus has locked down a bunch of domain names already, it's one of her hobbies, and we will probably host through my buddy who used to host my Beerthief forum. I pretty much hate FB and Twitter so we don't plan to use either but I'll think about Instagram. We'll see how it plays out.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  16. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Isn't Instagram owned by Facebook?
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  17. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Yes but it is a different platform. I hate all the crap that comes out of FB and my missus has been caught up with all kinds of bullshit from other people taking her posts out of context. I don't want my business going through it, I think there are plenty of other mediums to do the job. It's not like I'm looking at it as my sole income.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  18. Candubrain

Candubrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    HU NFLD canceled and rescheduled for Aug 30 to Sept 2 2021, next year. I guess I’ll see you then
    Brian
  19. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I was waiting to hear that, thanks for the update.
  20. flyhi2cfar

flyhi2cfar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yep... that HU in 21' has my attention also, so that could well be the lead for my discovery of New Melbourne.