Newfoundland Two Wheel Inn & Campground under construction

Discussion in 'Canada' started by skibum69, Jun 21, 2017.

1. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    It would make for a nice trip for you to see a lot of the island.
  2. skibum69

Oddometer:
    We like garden beds or maybe more appropriately my missus does. All of us have been affected by the pandemic in various ways and one for us is that we were not able to open this year as planned. Who knows what next year will bring? Despite it all we've still been busy around the homestead trying to improve our lot.

Just finished pinning this newest garden bed together today. Food is already growing with more to come.
    [​IMG]

I think it sets off quite nicely, we might make the corner in the middle a little seating area.
    [​IMG]

There's another little project afoot but I'll wait until it's done to put it up.
    2dogs1cat, B10Dave and Night_Wolf like this.
  3. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Well then, I guess it's a good thing we didn't open this year as we've got a little septic problem. Really glad there weren't 4 or 6 toilets pumping into this right now!

I took a step into some overgrowth to pick something up and realized I was stepping into sewage overflow. We just dug into in and found a second cover on the septic tank that we didn't know about. 2 years ago we dug up the cover on the left and had that pumped not knowing anything about the cover on the right. We think there are two chambers and if I'd known then I would have had both sides pumped which is probably the contributing factor to the current overflow. Looks like we'll be digging in search of a distribution box and whether there is one there now or not I think one is going in to solve the problem for as long as I'm alive. Nice to have a big solid concrete tank that's for sure.

good times!
    [​IMG]
    Night_Wolf and 2dogs1cat like this.
  4. powderpig

powderpig Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's some deep shit, there.

Sorry...had to say it. :D
    Maggot12 likes this.
  5. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Yeah, about 6' deep of it!:lol3
  6. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gives you an excuse to play with the Bobcat, and don't forget, whatever you feed your guests will determine the colour of your grass!

Cheers
  7. 2dogs1cat

2dogs1cat Cole Harbour Kid

Oddometer:
    Can moose and deer be a problem in your neck of the woods, or is there a memo of understanding that they are to stay away from the salad buffet?
    ; ^ )
  8. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    No deer on the island. Caribou are native and moose were introduced. We had a motorcyclist killed a couple of weeks ago in a moose collision.
  9. skibum69

Oddometer:
    There are moose in my neighbourhood but they don't seem to come around my property much, I have seen tracks from time to time. We have at least a couple of bunnies as we saw them running around yesterday but for some odd reason they haven't been eating from the garden yet either. Right now just a few slugs but even they aren't too bad. These days we're eating fresh salad out of the garden every day.

As Dave said there are no deer and no raccoons and no skunks. We never had snakes but apparently there are now some garter snakes established on the island. Super happy we have no raccoons as they are a pain in the ass.
    2dogs1cat and Maggot12 like this.
  10. TNRyder

TNRyder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey, can’t wait until this covid is gone and I can visit your Island from Florida.

Here’s a what did you get message.

Go to google.com search window and type in any 3 digit number followed by the words: new cases.

What do you get...and why??
  11. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I didn't try it because I'm not sure what you're trying to tell us?
  12. TNRyder

TNRyder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sometimes you gotta show people. But if you are worried. Trudeau is not going to send black helicopters. Clue...algorithms work to deliver a desired result.
  13. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Every number I pop in pulls up a new listing of a place with that many Covid cases. Obviously covid takes top spot in the searches and that's all about why our borders are still closed. I've heard rumours of July but we'll see. Newfoundland is still closed to non residents too.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  14. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Ok, we're back to the septic...the guys came and started digging yesterday after some discussion about what we thought was there and how far we wanted to go with it. We knew it was coming up from just outside the tank so we started there.

This is the outlet at the tank and the pipe was cracked there
    [​IMG]

Turns out the first 12' of pipe was old clay pipe so no wonder it was cracked. As it came up vegetation had grown down the pipe over 6' and there was an old wire shoved down at least 25' that came out as well.
    [​IMG]

The clay pipe joined onto old tar paper pipe that looked in good shape. Doing a little cleanup at the end we ran the hose down there and let it rip to see how the drainage was beyond.
    [​IMG]

We ran the hose on bust for over 1/2 hour and nothing came back at all which proved the drainage lines are still working perfectly. The blockage was in the first 8' of pipe. Now all we have to do is put in a new piece of pipe to replace the clay pipe and we're good to go. A several thousand dollar job just went to a several hundred dollar job.

All in all a pretty minimal amount of digging for what could have been a major issue. Really nice to know we now have all the problems solved and we learned new things like the fact there are 2 compartments and 2 covers on this tank. Apparently the same design as the ones they used to use on the 2 room school houses in the area back in the day.
    [​IMG]

The missus says I'm the luckiest fucker she knows.:lol3
    EvilClown, motogoat, Pete S and 3 others like this.
  15. skibum69

Oddometer:
    So the septic scene is not necessarily the nicest thing to deal with but you do what you have to do. Thankfully that is only one little piece of the property. Summer is coming along in full swing and one of my favourite things on this property is the number and variety of flowers. I can spend hours just walking around looking at them. As it is we do multiple turns around the garden every day. The legacy of flowers that came with this house is pretty incredible as almost every owner was a gardener right from the Brit who built it in the 40's. He brought things like the Hawthorne's over from the UK.

This was last year as I missed taking pics this year but the tulips put on a good show. These ones came with the house.
    [​IMG]

This is one variety, queen of the night that we planted
    [​IMG]

There are plenty of daffodils around too, only a few that we planted.
    [​IMG]

And on to this year and what is going on in the yard right now.

Alliums and poppies. The missus planted the alliums but the poppies were here when I got here. The missus has been weeding around them and saving seed to spread them around.
    [​IMG]

One of my rhododendrons just hitting full bloom
    [​IMG]

Out of focus but this little Columbine is one of the prettiest we have and I'm guessing we have close to 100 different ones
    [​IMG]

alliums and poppies moving along
    [​IMG]

the poppies starting to take off
    [​IMG]

cute intertwined
    [​IMG]

the missus cut this rodo back to clean it up to good effect
    [​IMG]

my third rodo in the apple orchard just coming into bloom
    [​IMG]

same one
    [​IMG]

another type of poppy in the mix
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

this bed blew up in 2 days
    [​IMG]

the alliums just keep getting bigger
    [​IMG]

my last rodo in the apple orchard doesn't get a lot of sun so is a little slower but the colour is beautiful
    [​IMG]

the apple orchard will soon be a field of orange as the orange hawkweed known as devil's paintbrush come into bloom
    [​IMG]

the first daisy of the season
    [​IMG]

the first pink of the season
    [​IMG]

the Batchelor buttons just bloomed
    [​IMG]

As I said we have tons of different columbines in lots of colours, many purple varieties around
    [​IMG]

I didn't take any pics of the fields of tulips and daffodils the have come and gone, maybe next year I'll remember. The roses have not come out yet and there are plenty of other things waiting for their time too. I haven't even touched on all of the food that is growing.
    TNRyder, VO1MX, Pete S and 4 others like this.
  16. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    skibum—well it sure seems you are setting up an amazing place for motorcyclists to hunker down at.
    The individual pics of the variety of flowers alone makes one want to head that way. (when C19 finally F’s off enuff)
    Over the last 3 yrs and few days since you’re started this thread you have showed lots of info as your build went along. I know you’re behind schedule a bit :rofldue to pretty extenuating circumstances but hey, eventually the gate will swing open.
    I guess you’ve been doing a nice gradual build up, kinda like Ford and their new Bronco eh?
    One thing I don’t remember (I do forget a lot at my age) is seeing a drone video of your setup. That would be great to see.
    If you have it in here, just say so—-don’t link it, I’ll have to find it. :lol3
    But if not it sure would give us the big picture.
    Thanks for taking the time to document your project and I sure hope I can somehow someday see it in person.
    BB
  17. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Funny, I actually bought a cheap little drone but haven't really started playing with it yet. I should do that for you.

Back to the septic-here's the fix.

Pretty awesome, the fix was just installing this little piece of pipe, one length was all it took. Good to go!
    [​IMG]
    EvilClown, Night_Wolf and Lycan1 like this.
  18. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    My 12 year old house here in Ontario has a two lid concrete septic tank just like that, our place is your standard 3 bedroom home.
  19. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Mine is a little bigger than 3 bedrooms and we're guessing this tank went in late 50's or 60's. You can imagine the first time we dug down to find it and discover we had a big solid concrete tank. One more thing I never have to worry about.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  20. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Back to flowers...

Bugler weed is everywhere and pretty
    [​IMG]

Here you can see the deep colour of that rodo
    [​IMG]

columbines
    [​IMG]

gladiolas
    [​IMG]

Hawthorne in bloom
    [​IMG]

No idea what these are but they're kind of neat.
    [​IMG]

columbines
    [​IMG]

another unknown tree in bloom
    [​IMG]

these ones are beautiful
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

like I said the columbines are everywhere
    [​IMG]
    Night_Wolf, Pete S and Lycan1 like this.