1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Newfoundland Two Wheel Inn & Campground under construction

Discussion in 'Canada' started by skibum69, Jun 21, 2017.

1. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Only a couple of little projects left , one being the stairs. Seeing as I have spruce floors upstairs and down I figured I'd tie them together with larch stairs, what Verne around here was juniper. Really nice grain.

These will be for the risers.
    [​IMG]

Because of the difference in colour I'll alternate pieces from both planks.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

It's very different than spruce so I think it will look kind of neat.
    [​IMG]

I have 2 logs sitting outside waiting to get milled into 2" slices to do the treads. I'm waiting for the wood to dry out a little more before I do then I can get this done.

The rest of the logs will be milled 3/4"x5 1/2" to finish the chicken coop. One quality of larch is very high rot resistance.
    [​IMG]
    jowul, B10Dave, EvilClown and 4 others like this.
  2. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    That Larch has a wild flat grain similar to Ash, I love your small tight knot spruce floors
    EvilClown likes this.
  3. skibum69

Oddometer:
    5 coats of Verathane, look how dark the wood goes over time compared to the new almost white. I love how it ages. Plus this local stuff is cheap.
    [​IMG]

So different to the larch which I love.
    Night_Wolf, 2dogs1cat, MGV8 and 2 others like this.
  4. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its cheap because it looks like no lengths are over 4 ft?
  5. skibum69

Oddometer:
    That is true, they market that spruce for cabins etc, it's not their higher end stuff. But I have to say I really like how it all laid out and it looks good to me. It's an old house, I have no interest in trying to make anything perfect and nothing is square except the beams I put in.:lol3
    Night_Wolf and Cal like this.
  6. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    NL juniper is almost a purple colour too for the first 10 minutes when you mill it.
    Its the best finishing wood that grows in NL I think, except maybe for the witchhazel/ yellow birch. I did a whole cabin in it (floors, stairs, cathedral ceiling) some yeats ago and it looked great.

Hey Mikey the place is looking good! I hope I can pop by for a visit when I'm allowed to come home next!
    Night_Wolf and Cal like this.
  7. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I should see if I can be at the mill to watch it getting done. I dropped off a few spruce sticks to him today and we were talking about it. He's saying to wait until it gets cold and dry then we'll go at it. Super stoked thinking about it!

Looking forward to seeing you getting a trip home. Bring your gear you can take one of my bikes out but I just lost a muffler off the R65 yesterday and a 2 trips back looking for it do not turn it up. Dammit more things I can't afford!
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  8. 2dogs1cat

2dogs1cat Cole Harbour Kid

Oddometer:
    Hey, if it goes ahead, are you going to have a booth there to promote your Moto bicycle B&B campground?
    https://www.horizonsunlimited.com/e...MW_44-cZXwiODbhegsp7nw11BRxoVU7ut3CU#location
    MGV8, Maggot12 and MikefromNL like this.
  9. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    barko1, Maggot12, 2dogs1cat and 2 others like this.
  10. skibum69

Oddometer:
    It never occurred to me to set anything up at the Horizons event but it's good idea.
  11. Angry Pete

Angry Pete RIP Speedy

Oddometer:
    So, how's the project going?
    International travel could be back on the cards for us next year.
    So, after seeing "Come From Away" today, a bit more research on Gander and surrounds followed.
    I'd imagine the best time of year to visit would be June-Sept, is bike hire available. Any other information about your island you can part with?
    Pete
    MikefromNL and Night_Wolf like this.
  12. KevinZucht

KevinZucht Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One ski bum to another.....on my next Xcross can trip I will stop in ...chat bikes n Pow.
    Kevin,,,Advmoto
    MGV8 and Night_Wolf like this.
  13. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Hi Pete, I just stopped at the Silent Witness Memorial in Gander yesterday on my way across headed for the ferry which was cancelled last night, today and tonight. Fingers crossed the early crossing tomorrow goes ahead.

That regiment states that that crash killed more members in a single day than any day of combat in any war. The list of names on the plaque is very long.

I would say July to September, being from Oz you might not be used to chilly weather. Sorry no bikes for hire on the island but if you’re coming from that far away maybe you could use one of mine? What do you ride at home? What do you like?

For a good bit of local Moto insight why don’t you wander over to our local adv forum? I’m on there every day too. https://ridetherock.com/index.php

What else do you want to know? As for us we’re just chillin waiting it all out. I just need to do the stairs when I get home from work in a few months.

Hey Kevin, the only skiing I got this year were a few runs on the ridge on the back of town. I can ski and surf in my back yard same day! Drop by for a beer and some good conversation out in the shed.
  14. barko1

barko1 barko1

Oddometer:
    Bummer about the ferry, looks like plenty of rain and wind. I have been hoping for the borders to open even though I now live 3600 miles from St. John's. Been there and across Labrador a couple of times and may get back again. I'd likely be hauling a 20' camper caravan, got room :scratch.
  15. skibum69

Oddometer:
    We could fit a 20' camper in the driveway for a little while.:D
  16. barko1

barko1 barko1

Oddometer:
    Hope things open by fall, I'm all immunized and ready. $800 round trip on the ferry but I like the rock!
  17. skibum69

Oddometer:
    We'll see what fall brings, we're hoping to go to Cromag in Vermont in September after running the Trans Taiga. Also hoping they put the Argentia ferry back on, running across the island gets old.
    Night_Wolf, B10Dave and Klinc207 like this.
  18. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    A great thing about the Rock is the welcomeness and freedom to camp just about anywhere. Along just about any brook, river, pond you can stop and camp.
    Skibum lives a couple hundred meters from crashing waves beating up on the beach and tumbling rocks. And there's a little road to make your way down to the ocean. Nice spot to hang out for an evening as well.

19. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the plug. I too think it's a lovely place to sit and chill for as l long as you need. Right now I'm bummed I'm missing the flowers.
    Maggot12 likes this.
  20. KevinZucht

KevinZucht Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last year was a write off for long trips...and maybe so this summer, BUT, when we can travel/road trip again......like the last xcross Canada trip just for coffee....hmmmm The Rock calls! You can count on it...we will talk edges,wax,skis and bindings, bikes and ...screech! OK maybe a cod tongue or 2 me son. As long as yuoz stays where your at I'll come wherez your too.
    Flyinguy
    Night_Wolf likes this.