Newfoundland Two Wheel Inn & Campground under construction

Discussion in 'Canada' started by skibum69, Jun 21, 2017.

1. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    We're 30 km's north of Heart's Content.

edit: did he buy a little green old store right next to the road on the water side?
  2. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    She bought a house. Water side, 3 or 4 places north of the gas bar. Between the gas bar and the green store.
  3. Marcham

Marcham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    None of the links above work for me...

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
  4. Marcham

Marcham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great idea!

Fire pit and covered area with picnic tables for cooking and eating. Water jugs or tap with sink for dishes (can just drain into the big bucket). Other than that all we need is great company. There's a moto campground I stayed at in BC where they bought an old bathroom / shower trailer from a construction company and that does the trick.

This one has developed a great reputation if you're looking for ideas. She built it's up slowly piece by piece over the years. http://www.thompsonseaglesclaw.com

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
    Maggot12 likes this.
  5. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Nice idea for the cooking area, maybe some sort of gazebo. He's got the fire pit area aced, and lots of great little spots to put a tent or hang a hammock.

He'll have to ditch the chimes though or put them in front of the house.. :-)

6. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I know kind of where you're talking.

Which links are you talking about?
  7. skibum69

Oddometer:
    more posts...June 22, 2017

So, here's a little on the renos: these are the three rooms on the back of the house with one little one being the nursery of of a bedroom. Odd little spot with the first room having had a do over maybe 20 years ago. The ugly beam breaks up the room. The living room downstairs had one that I replaced a few years ago.
    [​IMG]
    This is the other back bedroom and it had a closet and a nursery off of it.
    [​IMG]
    This was the little nursery, it's getting converted into a drying room with a laundry sink etc for cleaning gear as well.
    [​IMG]
    Wasn't this a stylish bathroom?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  8. skibum69

Oddometer:
    June 22, 2017

Pulling it all apart there was almost no insulation in the walls or ceiling which was no surprise knowing how cold it is in the winter. This view is looking from the bathroom through the wall into the pink room. A patchwork job of a beam and no surprise the floor had sagged a bunch of inches as the beam and wall run parallel to the floor joists. It's an old house and we don't play marbles, no worries.
    [​IMG]
    We dropped the ceiling in the dormer for the bathroom and what will be the drying room to allow for lots of insulation. You can see that ugly beam there.
    [​IMG]
    The crappy beam was definitely not to my liking, I want to open that space up and clean up the lines. Bring on the LVL beams.
    [​IMG]
    Now that space is far cleaner, ready to wall it up for the bathroom sans stupid beam.
    [​IMG]
    So much better, ready to frame out the bathroom.
    [​IMG]
    Right now hoping my contractor can get in to replace the 5 windows before he leaves on vacation to make it easier to frame up the false walls to add more insulation. Yes we will be insulating walls between rooms to keep it quiet.

In case I didn't mention it but I have virtually no experience doing contractor and carpentry work. It all takes me awhile to do things as I have to learn as I go. Good times.
    phreakingeek and Night_Wolf like this.
  9. skibum69

Oddometer:
    June 23. 2017

Typical Newfoundland woods have a lot of black spruce and some birch. Small scraggly trees like my back yard are the norm. We are cleaning out the brush down to raking. The plan is to put tent platforms down and open up better paths to bring your bike next to your tent. We figure we can probably get half a dozen to eight good sites laid out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have a small apple orchard with half a dozen old trees, at past rallies most tents set up here, it's a beautiful place to set up. For the B&B we will not use it to keep heavy traffic down to protect the roots. The occasional tent for whatever reason will be fine. You can see where the house is in the last pic. I camp here on occasion if I don't have time to go anywhere.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    phreakingeek and Maggot12 like this.
  10. skibum69

Oddometer:
    June 25, 2017

It's pretty much the nicest property along this while stretch of coast, previous owners were mad gardeners and left me tons of flowers and little rock walls etc all over the place. While I'm away working my girl is home spending her days getting garden beds ready, clearing brush and rescuing choked out flowers. The fireweed may be banished and large plots of groutweed are going.

We will have plenty of fresh vegetables, garden bed #2, the first one in the front yard has garlic and that bed will be removed to plant one or two cherry trees.
    [​IMG]
    She calls this hole in the ground the fairy portal, a fire pit with benches around is destined for the rear plot.
    [​IMG]
    We spend a lot of time gathered around the fire sipping on beverages.
    [​IMG]
    Walking up the drive from the road, the fire pit area is behind right of the tent you can see
    [​IMG]
    This is the reverse looking down the drive, we're planning bike parking out of sight on the left.
    [​IMG]
    The front yard on the road side, the garlic is down there a little left
    [​IMG]
    Looking back towards the fire ring go left, this is the "shed" where we hang by the fire and tip a few, old school with a really nice board floor. Comfy for working on bikes etc.
    [​IMG]
    I have tarped over the driveway for rallies before, having lots of space is nice. There has been discussion of replacing the potting shed with a bigger one and a bunky on top but it won't be any time soon.
    phreakingeek likes this.
  11. skibum69

Oddometer:
    June 25, 2017

Not a great shot but this is my beach, it takes about 5 minutes to walk there. I'll try to take some better shots of the neighbourhood when I'm home next week.
    [​IMG]
    This is looking south at my little town of less than 100 people, my house is circled so you can see how close the water is. There is a dirt road to the beach, my house is on the corner of that road and the main road.
    [​IMG]
    2dogs1cat and Night_Wolf like this.
  12. skibum69

Oddometer:
    June 25, 2017

My rodo's and some poppies are just starting to bloom, Sarah has been putting photos of them up on Facebook. I on the other hand am 3000 miles away working 14.5 hour days, 7 days a week. Getting this project going will allow me to stay at home for the first time ever. In 10 years I have never spent more than 2 weeks at one time in my house.:jjen
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My beautiful, happy garden girl! She's gonna kill me when she finds out I put up a pic of her.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    One of her many talents is flower arranging.
    [​IMG]
    2dogs1cat, Night_Wolf and RevyRider like this.
  13. skibum69

Oddometer:
    June 25, 2017

This is the smallest bedroom, we need to get the other side at least to the Sheetrock stage before we start ripping this apart. We use the two quasi serviceable bedrooms for guests and storage while the other side gets worked on.
    [​IMG]
    This room is actually a little bigger than it looks and right now it is full of crap. These pics are from when I first looked at the house before I bought it. Furniture is different but everything else is pretty much the same.
    [​IMG]
    This is part of the common area and it will get a full redo along with everything else. Books, maps etc and a nice cozy area to sit and read plus a few amentities to do a wee bit of cooking if anyone so chooses. This door to the bedroom will be moved to keep the common area more cohesive.
    [​IMG]
    There will be a new fridge going in here, in the off season it will probably be full of beer, for some reason Sarah keeps wanting to put food in the one in the kitchen?:confused
    [​IMG]
    There are big closets that will be useful.
    [​IMG]
    Right now stuff is everywhere, this is the common area too, that stupid beam and upright are going to get the same treatment. Where the boards are on the left is where the chimney is, that is all going to be removed to expose it and open up more space. When it's all opened up it should turn into a pretty nice space.
    [​IMG]
    So far so good, I just found out my contractor can't get my windows in before he leaves for vacation. Bummer. I'm looking forward to the remodel. Downstairs was not to my taste, now that it's done it's a nice place to be. I have to figure out the stairs, the dusty rose carpet is a reminder of what the whole living room and hallway was. I peeled a mile of wallpaper border from the walls downstairs.
    [​IMG]
  14. skibum69

Oddometer:
    The back yard, I'm pretty much standing in the fire pit, the shed is off to the right and the little potting shed and garden plots are off to the left where the drive goes down to the road. The oil tank is getting replaced and moved into the basement with plans to put a deck along the back of the house that will wrap around the corner to the front door. I plan on having a ramp to make loading crap In and out of the house easier and then I could put motos in the living room.:jack
    There's the outdoor shower, I love the outdoor shower! I use it all summer down to about 3°C. That is also a door right into the bathroom which makes life good for peeling off wetsuits in the winter to jump straight into a hot shower.:D
    My new tent leaks like a sieve right out of the gate, waiting to see what warranty offers for a replacement.
    [​IMG]
  15. skibum69

Oddometer:
    June 30, 2017

I got home for a couple of days, we went for a walk out to the point to sit by the water and have a couple of beers. Good for the soul sitting by the ocean watching the waves roll in.
    [​IMG]
    This is pretty much my little town, only about 100 people live here and a bunch of them are only summer residents
    [​IMG]
    You can walk the beaches for days
    [​IMG]
    It's lobster season, do you ever wonder where they come from? Hard working fisher folk get up in the wee hours to go pull lobster pots.
    [​IMG]
    There's a little pond with lots of frogs that we always stop by to check them out on our way to the point.
    [​IMG]
  16. skibum69

Oddometer:
    December 05, 2017

Thanks for the input, we have thoughts about shelters but not for the first year for sure. The shed is a great place to hang out of the weather.:D
    [​IMG]
    St_rydr and RevyRider like this.
  17. skibum69

Oddometer:
    December 28, 2017

The one big spruce that was in the apple orchard came down n the 100 km/h + winds we've had over the last few days. Fortunately it missed the yellow transparent and McIntosh trees when it went. One thought for all of this new space is for a gazebo...time will tell.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This one also came down beside the orchard, the one on the ground is destined to be benches around the fire pit.
    [​IMG]
    phreakingeek likes this.
  18. skibum69

Oddometer:
    January 04, 2018

Renovating update. We are way behind as the new windows didn't get installed until November instead of June when they were supposed to, I may never call that contractor again. Also in November the insulation and vapour barrier were installed which made an immediate difference in heating.

This trip home we got all of the room layout decided and got the walls up for that. Another decision that came out of this was to do the first 2 rooms with their own bathrooms instead of the original plan of 4 rooms with 1 shared bath. There will be boot dryers and racking for riding gear and helmet hooks for each room/bathroom. We're thinking of putting a laundry sink out back in it's own outdoor station so all guests have a space for more serious cleaning tasks.

We haven't made final decisions on the other side but we may do 2 rooms with 1 shared bathroom. It's that or only one other room with it's own bathroom. That won't start until after the summer so no rush on finalizing ideas.

Now we are doing some wiring ahead of a new pony panel. With any luck my next trip home will get sheet rock up. Slow going as I'm still learning as I go.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    RevyRider likes this.
  19. skibum69

Oddometer:
    January 04, 2018

This is where we are
    [​IMG]
    Which is on this little island poking out into the North Atlantic. 16th biggest island in the world. Go have a look at our weather forecast for the next 24 hours, it sounds like a doozy!:lol3
    [​IMG]
    This might make it a little easier to find.
    [​IMG]
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  20. skibum69

Oddometer:
    December 01, 2017

1. Definitely power, for that many devices it looks like we may have to set up one or two dedicated charging stations besides the regular plugs in the bedrooms. Charging stations for tenters will be necessary as well. We'll make sure everyone can get everything charged before they roll out.

2. People renting rooms will have helmet hooks for helmets, boot dryers and good racking for hanging up riding gear to dry etc. I see your point that a warm dry place to campers to hang riding gear would be nice too, and maybe a couple of boot dryers for them too. I'll figure out a solution.

3. We had initially planned a drying room with laundry sink etc but have since decided to use that for a bathroom as instead of 4 rooms and a shared bathroom we are now working towards 4 rooms with separate baths. We will set up a cleaning station somewhere, not sure where yet but we'll make it happen.

4. I hadn't really though of wood for sale but I see your point. Whatever we come up with will be cheap if we sell it. Our plan is to have a communal fire pit in the back yard that will be close for everyone. Too difficult to manage fire hazard at individual campsites. We hang out there burning wood all the time, it will be a cozy spot.

5. Of course flat tent sites, we will be going to wooden platforms whether we get them done this year or not. I too hate rolling or sliding into the corners of my tent.

6. We have ideas for some solar lighting around the property and will probably end up having to put up a couple of flood lights in the back yard. We can certainly supply lighting at least to get people set up if they roll in late. That just gave me a good idea for that.

7. Beer to buy may be a serious challenge due to the liquor laws here and the license it would require. That being said we are allowed to give it away and I have friends in a couple of the new breweries opening up here. Do more research before you get here as there are some new breweries doing good things and about a dozen more in the works.
    RevyRider likes this.