Newfoundland Two Wheel Inn & Campground under construction

Discussion in 'Canada' started by skibum69, Jun 21, 2017.

1. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    This wee town is New Chelsea which is the next town down from us. You can see the kelp built up on the beach, this is gold for gardeners all chopped and mixed together as it washes up on the beaches. We've done a lot of trips in the last couple of days.
    [​IMG]
    Here is the missus getting an early start on her new garden bed. There used to be a hedge of Japanese Barberry on the closer strip but when Sarah showed me that that particular plant has been linked with the spread of ticks it had to go. The far strip had a few dead or dying shrubs that will be better off as a garden. Now our capacity for growing food is greatly expanded, just yesterday we were still picking fresh parsley etc. The bed in front of her is garlic for next summer.
    [​IMG]
    Our regular afternoon/evening past time is having fires in the back yard. This will be polished a bit for a nice fire pit. Right now we are burning brush from around the property to clean up in anticipation of tent sites.
    [​IMG]
    The greenhouse will be going to the left towards the potting shed. We will have great food all year round when that gets going. It is so nice to be eating fresh food you're grown yourself. There is talk of goats...
    shuswap1, Deuce, Clipper and 4 others like this.
  2. Downhill Rider

Downhill Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It’s all looking good Mike.
    Just don’t lose the trademark shed!
  3. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I see what you did there, nice nickel!:lol3

Planning on putting the new 30’ x 40’ shed beside the old one on the far side. Then we’ll have one for working and one for socializing.:D
  4. Downhill Rider

Downhill Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Aha!
    The best of both worlds.
    :beer
  5. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Come on back, you’ll dig it!
  6. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m looking forward to a trip back to New Melbourne. Thoroughly enjoyed my last visit. You and Sarah are the bomb!!!
  7. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Thanks Craig, we enjoyed having you and we look forward to your next visit.
  8. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Well the snow seems long gone and there wasn't a whole lot of it which portends another dry summer. Good thing we're looking to get a drilled well put in this spring! The other sure sign of warming weather is maple syrup production. In 3 days we've collected at least 60 liters of sap and have been boiling down for 2 days.
    [​IMG]
    A little rejig of the firepit gives us wood fired production
    [​IMG]
    a little gravel makes it nicer around the fire
    [​IMG]
    5+ hours of rolling boil, just add more sap
    [​IMG]
    Today's results first hot out of the pot, second an hour of settling. The sediment is actually sugar. This is what over 40 liters gets you. Something to look forward to when you come stay with us.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Because it's not enough work making maple syrup yesterday we also got down to pouring the footings for the new greenhouse before the rain came back to fill the holes again. Unfortunately no pics but the holes were dug last November with an excavator and we've been waiting for warm and dry ever since. Mixing cement by hand is like work! Six sono tube footings poured.
    Today we got the holes all filled in. We moved a LOT of rocks and dirt today!
    [​IMG]
    Leftovers? These two piles of rocks did not fit back in the holes, where the hell do they come from? They don't call it "The Rock" for nothing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My OCD was getting the best of me, I shifted the whole first pile to rake out the dirt and tidy it up a bit.
    [​IMG]
    I even shifted around the second pile of rocks to tidy that up a bit too. It's been a long couple of days of hard work but oh so satisfying!

I think I cracked a rib trying to free up a 14' larch blowdown about 20" in diameter. Having made the wrong cut first I've been trying to figure out how I can do the final deed but it's 10' off the ground and nothing above me to rig some fall arrest. I want to get this out and milled for greenhouse construction. I have an idea but it will be a little like being in the circus. Safety third.

Yes there has been a little more work upstairs, I'll see about a post on that topic next week. Onward and upward!
  9. skibum69

Oddometer:
    My OCD couldn't handle it, I had to move the 2nd pile of rocks and consolidate into one pile. My undying gratitude to the inventor of the wheelie cart, a most excellent labour saving device!:D
    [​IMG]
    Now I can't stop thinking about that damned larch! (commonly called juniper around here, funny tree as it loses its needles in the winter) It's great wood for building outdoors as it doesn't rot.
    2dogs1cat and Maggot12 like this.
  10. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Ok, I had another bright idea that was low risk. I hooked a long rope onto the larch where I needed to cut, it was already cut 3/4 the way so it just needed some more persuasion. On the other end of the rope I hooked up the Element. Yeah, it came down. Then I reconfigured and skidded it out of the woods again with the car. Good size 17/18" on the fat end and about 14" on the skinny. 14 1/2' of useable wood. Damn that thing is heavy, I can barely budge the small end. Now I just need to get it down the road to the mill, will the Element be up to the task?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Another obsession assuaged, this stick was too good to pass up from the moment I saw it. And lucky for me my rib wasn't actually cracked according to how I feel today.:lol3
    'Bob', B10Dave and 2dogs1cat like this.
  11. skibum69

Oddometer:
    And for a little more fun we did some work on the new garden beds, these 5” x 5” sticks were milled from blowdown on the property. Picking up another load of shorter ones this week. Gotta love cheap wood!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    'Bob', B10Dave and 2dogs1cat like this.
  12. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Talked to my mill guy today, hopefully he will have all of my sticks done tonight. That larch was a monster! Look how good an Element works as a truck.:lol3
    [​IMG]
    That sucker was heavy!
    [​IMG]
  13. agplant

agplant Ride Fast Travel Slo

Oddometer:
    Bet the steering is easy. :lol3
  14. skibum69

Oddometer:
    It actually handled just fine, you coldn't really tell how heavy it was in back. I certainly took my time driving the 15 km's to the mill.
  15. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    That would have been a bad time to get rear ended. It would have punted the motor right out the front.

Red Green would be proud.
    sleepyhead65 and Night_Wolf like this.
  16. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Better than having the motor in your lap. I put flagging tape streamers off the end of it for visibility, one nice thing about living in the middle of nowhere is no traffic. I slowed waaay down and waved the only 2 cars I saw around me.
    Lycan1 likes this.
  17. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    No Tim's drive through along the way....
  18. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Thankfully the closest TImmy's is 1/2 hour away, I pretty much hate the place. My coffee is soooo much better!

That monster stick milled down to this tidy stack of 2" x 6" and the 5" x 5" are a few old tress that were stacked for a few years destined for the garden bed.
    [​IMG]
    This stack of wood is only 3 trees, plenty of big planks and a couple of live edge slices the 3" will become my mantle.
    [​IMG]
    This stack of wood only cost me $130 to get milled
    [​IMG]
    I've been told larch likes to twist as it dries so plenty of weight is called for to keep it straight. Now waiting for the moisture meter I ordered to show up so I can tell when it's ready to frame out the greenhouse.
    [​IMG]
  19. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Ok, we've been busy upstairs again, super excited to see some more progress.

Sarah's been plastering
    [​IMG]
    Then I got the primer out
    [​IMG]
    And then my buddy gave me a hand laying the floor...this room is down to paint and finish work
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

got the plumbing for the third bathroom run to the basement leveled the floor and put down the subfloor
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    2dogs1cat, B10Dave, 'Bob' and 4 others like this.
  20. 'Bob'

'Bob' Been here awhile

Oddometer:

You've been a very busy man Mike! And I know you're good with a chainsaw...
    [​IMG]

We're looking forward to dropping by when we're home this Summer.