Newfoundland Two Wheel Inn & Campground under construction

Discussion in 'Canada' started by skibum69, Jun 21, 2017.

1. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to seeing you!
  2. Summit72

Summit72 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Been following your thread for a long time now. It's always great to see the progress you guys are making. Keep up the great work. I take a trip every summer to see my dad in Bellevue Trinity Bay. One of these days I will stop by to see the progress in person.
  3. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Come on down!

We're moving forward at a snails pace but at least moving forward. Was talking to a contractor friend about the outside amenities such as toilets and showers for the campers which will be an addition on the back of the house. Just had a thought last night for another little deck for guests to access by the coffee nook which will double as a fire escape. Getting ready to price out clapboard or cedar shake for the house.
    Night_Wolf, B10Dave and Maggot12 like this.
  4. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Big day today, I finished all of the floors upstairs! The damned thresholds between rooms were just about the end of me, but I finally got them done. Tomorrow sanding and Tuesday Verathane. The plastering is 99% done as well which completes the last on the big jobs. Finally! We've only been working on this for a bit over 2 years.

Little hallway to the two bigger rooms with ensuites, you can see the tricky bit on the left doorway, I'm happy with the result.
    [​IMG]
    first room with ensuite, hopefully the marks sand out as this floor was done last summer
    [​IMG]
    main hallway with the shared bathroom at the end
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    second room with ensuite, this floor was also done last summer
    [​IMG]
    first smaller bedroom, floor was done a week ago
    [​IMG]
    second smaller bedroom was done last Friday
    [​IMG]

I gotta say I really like the spruce flooring, I put it all over my main floor 8 years ago and I think it looks great. It's softwood so it takes the dings and scratches and adds character. It's an old house, nothing is square and stuff is wacky so keeping it all kinda low key keeps the nice laid back vibe I like.

Here's a wee video that gives you a sense of what the layout is upstairs.
    Camhead64, onurleft, MGV8 and 4 others like this.
  5. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    That spruce flooring looks nice! Nice small tight knots, is it from a local mill?
    Maggot12 likes this.
  6. skibum69

Oddometer:
    The knotty look is definitely a little funky if you're used to oak or maple. It is local spruce from a company on the central north coast of Newfoundland. They also do clap board and other similar products.
    Night_Wolf and Cal like this.
  7. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    how "expensive" is it compared to typical hardwood & laminate flooring?
  8. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I forget the price per square foot, I'll have to make a call and find out but it is quite a bit cheaper than hardwood and I would guess laminate as well. This stuff is marketed for cottages etc, the longest pieces are only 4'. I like cheap and I think it looks great for an old house.

This shows how the colour changes as it ages, new spruce sitting on my 8 year old kitchen floor. It turns a nice gold colour and makes for a lovely warm environment. Funny. that scratch was the very first one in my new floor made by my friend's son. She was mortified! I didn't give a shit.:lol3
    [​IMG]

Floors are all sanded, we had a sander fiasco this am which set us back a few hours, tomorrow we start the verathane.
    TNRyder, MGV8, Cal and 2 others like this.
  9. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    I like it
    TNRyder likes this.
  10. Summit72

Summit72 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking good
  11. skibum69

Oddometer:
    The floors were done and 5 coats of verathane applied same as downstairs. I have say it looks great despite a couple places that need a bit of sanding and touch up. A few weeks later I was horrified that the boards I used for thresholds shrank and left fairly large gaps. Feeling better now a friend gave us a cool idea to fill them.

Now that nicer weather is here it’s always a flip flop between indoor and outdoor work. Once the floors were done we had a good day where the holes that were dug last fall for the greenhouse footings we’re finally mostly empty of water so I called it we were gonna mix cement and put in the sono tubes. We gave them a few weeks of me working for them to set then it was all out to put up the greenhouse in time for the missus to get planting.

I built the frame from spruce milled from logs from our property
    [​IMG]
    It’s pinned down with 6” Hilti anchors so I figure it won’t budge. Form there we started erecting the greenhouse. I bought it for her a year and a half ago and it’s taken me this long to get to it. Prefab unit made in Israel. It took us 2 1/2 days to get it up but she read reviews of people taking a week. She jokes that we didn’t break up over the Reno’s but we almost did over the greenhouse. It is a royal pain in the ass to assemble! Finicky nuts and bolts and very difficult slotting the panels in and keeping them aligned to get them together. Pretty when finished but not sure I can recommend them.

Going up
    [​IMG]

I found an impressive larch, what is locally called juniper, blowdown and had to have it. Larch is highly resistant to rot. Getting it out was a long story that involved my first cracked rib and the use of my car to yank it down and skid it out a couple of hundred feet. 14.5’ long and 18” diameter at the big end.

My 2nd Element was a great machine, I was heartbroken when it was totalled a few months ago.
    [​IMG]

That log gave the pile on the right, one 1”x12”, one 2”x4” and 11 2”x6” which was nice. The other pile is more spruce from our trees.
    [​IMG]

It’s definitely a pretty greenhouse and the larch was used to box in the bottom.
    [​IMG]

We built a permanent box in back for more permanent stuff like a grape vine she just planted
    [​IMG]
    And the benches for the fish tubs which used up most of the rest of the lumber pile, like this.
    [​IMG]

We got a stack of logs milled true 5”x5” to box in one of the missus’ garden beds, I should have taken a more recent pic as it’s full of new growth now.
    [​IMG]

Them it was back inside to practice a new task of hanging doors, I’ve never done it before so it was a learning curve but seems to have worked out. Now I need a little more antique hardware. I kept the original bedroom doors from upstairs as they are solid wood. Just waiting for the girl to paint the trim and that should go up pretty quick which will get us close to done.
    [​IMG]

My one day home between my trip to the BMW MOA rally and back to work we moved a bunch of rocks and made it prettier around the fire pit and the herb garden in front. The portal to faerie needs a little trim.
    [​IMG]

It’s a pretty yard, my next post will be of the flowers that are in bloom now but there are many more to come. I’m not kidding when I say we have the nicest property on the shore. There’s Gussie, one of our cats, and Sadie, mom’s dog that the missus was taking care of for a few days.
    [​IMG]
    onurleft, B10Dave, 2dogs1cat and 5 others like this.
  12. fredgreen

fredgreen let's take it apart....

Oddometer:
    Looking good!
  13. skibum69

Oddometer:
    As I was saying the flowers are gorgeous, some undoubtably planted by the Brit who built it in the 40’s. It’s too early for columbines but the missus has counted 37 different ones so far. Here are a few pics I took a few days ago on my one day home between my bike trip and work. It’s been a cold spring so a late start for flowers.
    Tulips and daffodils, I forget what the bush is but it’s the first to bloom
    [​IMG]
    Lots of tulips all over
    [​IMG]
    Bugler weed, she likes to call it Buhler weed
    [​IMG]
    I love the forget my nots
    [​IMG]
    The biggest patch of peonies, I think they are my favourite, hopefully I’ll be home for their blooms
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Added golden balls in front of those beds
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I chose these black beauties as wee funeral flowers for all the dead mice, shrews, birds and voles we toss in this patch after the cats get them
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I think that’s a laburnum in the background
    [​IMG]
    The girl was stoked the bleeding heart took from last year’s planting. In that one spot bleeding heart, tulip, peony abs golden ball.
    [​IMG]
    I was loving wandering in circles around the yard checking out the flowers and excited to think how many more are coming all season long. poppies, hibiscus, peonies, columbines and more. And it’s getting better every year.
    onurleft, B10Dave, MGV8 and 1 other person like this.
  14. fredgreen

Oddometer:
    I think that’s a forsythia in the background
  15. fredgreen

Oddometer:
    ACD87663-EFF4-48DD-A587-99058344AFFB.jpeg That’s a lot of not- native flowers that really shouldn’t grow in your climate! Posted a laburnum shot.
  16. skibum69

Oddometer:
    You’re probably right, I don’t know shit about half of what’s in my yard:lol3
    Maggot12 likes this.
  17. MGV8

MGV8 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking great, Loving the garden. Heading that way in a couple of years, Maybe the campground will be done by then :-)
    speednut likes this.
  18. skibum69

Oddometer:
    We truly have a little micro climate in our yard, tucked behind the hill from the prevailing winds and shielded from the water.

We’ll always have places to pitch a tent.
  19. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Some updates coming soon when I get some decent internet.
    B10Dave and Night_Wolf like this.
  20. 'Bob'

'Bob' Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You got a comfy place there skibum69! A few random pics from my visit...

Attached Files:

Maggot12, flei, LosTabarnacos and 2 others like this.