Newfoundland Two Wheel Inn & Campground under construction

Discussion in 'Canada' started by skibum69, Jun 21, 2017.

1. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for putting this up Bob, it was great to see you.

flex, did I see you’re going to CroMag?

I think we can get the coordinates up, I should go back to looking for an off-road route up from Argentia. Fuel is close to here north and south.
  2. skibum69

Oddometer:
    It’s been a bountiful year to my eye despite a cold spring and late summer. The missus tells me it’s nothing yet as it’s only the first year for her soil. I’m still amazed.

Greenhouse is coming along
    [​IMG]
    The herb garden was filling up and the fire pit is cozy
    [​IMG]
    First batch of garlic this season
    [​IMG]
    Her new garden bed was full more than once
    [​IMG]
    On rainy days we did things like put up trim and crown moulding
    [​IMG]
    Some days I think I can see the end of the Reno’s.
  3. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Poking around a little more this week getting a few odds and ends done

I was away at work for 3 weeks and do you think the missus could find a couple of hours to paint trim for me to put up when I got back?

Me painting a couple of batches of trim, I wasn't going to wait any longer.
    [​IMG]

Also waiting for her to do this tiny last bit of plastering so I can get to working on the last shared bathroom. Again I was tired of waiting to I decided to take a stab at plastering myself. Came out pretty good methinks.
    [​IMG]

It's behind where the shower is going to go to make it look like a continuous ceiling
    [​IMG]
    There will be a little wall and door there to hide the linen closet for us.

finally bought and hung the second ensuite bathroom door
    [​IMG]

finished the baseboard in that bedroom and bathroom
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    now almost all of the finish work is done in that room except the door trim where I had to move a light switch followed by some plastering. Plus the electrician has to come back to finish putting in the last of the breakers for upstairs.

The last little bit of plastering and it will finally be finished! Been a long time coming! Not too much left, the stairs, the entryway and plumbing in the basement replacing standpipe and running drains to the new grey water tank plus finishing the last bathroom. A couple of wee walls upstairs for the coffee nook and the linen closet. We're planning to build a new porch/entry on our side and we think we can put a deck on top of it that guests can access from beside the coffee nook; the afternoon sun will be lovely there.
    [​IMG]

I can feel it! Plan is to open for spring for a couple of months before I'm slated to go to Siberia/Mongolia/stans for a couple of months.
    'Bob', B10Dave, hotwheels22 and 5 others like this.
  4. skibum69

Oddometer:
    That colour would be KTM orange, nothing to do with the fact I own 2 I can assure you.:lol3
  5. 'Bob'

'Bob' Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    A lot done since my visit in Aug! Coming together nicely:-)
  6. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Yeah Bob, ticking along. We just put down the flooring in the 3rd bathroom tonight so getting that room going PDQ
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  7. skibum69

Oddometer:
    So we got going in the last bathroom and started by putting down the floor. I'm fine with the vinyl, I think it looks fine plus it's nice on the bare feet and of course waterproof.
    [​IMG]
    a couple of coats of paint on the wall looks good
    [​IMG]
    there was a pesky seam in the sheetrock above the door that we knew would always crack so the missus had the brilliant idea of putting paintable wallpaper over it same as in the hall
    [​IMG]
    that wall is the accent wall and we tried to do a colour match with the BMW logo but to me it looks a little dark, I'll have to do a comparison but I still like it
    [​IMG]
    So of course when I took that crown moulding I'd painted and tried to finish in the hall didn't it turn out to be a different size than what was up! Damn! And of course now my hardware store doesn't have any more of what I need but at least it's not going to waste as we put up the bigger stuff in the bathroom which looks nice too.
    Maggot12, B10Dave and Lycan1 like this.
  8. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Might I humbly suggest you don't 'replace' the current shed, Mike...maybe move it on the property and continue to use it for an nice place to hang out.

Many of my favorite memories of Newfoundland are right there at your place...early morning coffee with @damurph learning about the island's heritage and the language...
    ...and hanging out in the 'shed' solving the world's problems with the gang. Good stuff.

Need to get back up there.

Best of luck with your venture, Mike.
  9. EvilClown

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Acorn doesn't fall far from the tree.

Acorn - tree.jpg

I need a side of one of those boxes for my own 'shed'.:deal
    CA-Cincinnatus likes this.
  10. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Hey Mikey, nice of you to drop by. Rest assured the old shed is not going anywhere, although I do plan to put new siding on the outside while keeping the inside as is.

I have a six pack on Mad Mike put away for you, all you have to do is come and get it.:lol3
    EvilClown likes this.
  11. Downhill Rider

Downhill Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I said the same thing to Mike.
    That shed is one of our fondest memories of the Soirée we attended with Sidecar Sue and yourself, back in the day...
    EvilClown likes this.
  12. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Well Clown, you have kind of immortalized yourself around here...
    [​IMG]
    I loved my first Element but it went to the scrapper with your legacy intact
    [​IMG]
    working on getting this little fellow back on the road too
    [​IMG]
    this lid has passed its best before date but it's sooo stylish
    [​IMG]
    Yes I know there's one more but I haven't gotten around to taking a pic of it, I'll try to remember when I get home. And just for you a little trip down memory lane and your rescue mission.
    [​IMG]
  13. EvilClown

Oddometer:
    Not sure why you need a van.:scratch

out of the elements.jpg

[​IMG]

You've certainly have maximized the use of the Element, Mike.:thumb

Might just do that...along with some of that Newfoundland Spruce flooring. Is that tongue and groove?
    CA-Cincinnatus and Lycan1 like this.
  14. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Yes I certainly have made my Elements work for their keep. I want another one when I get a little dosh put away, I love those things!

The first bike I stuffed in there before I owned it
    [​IMG]
    long travel forks, gotta jack it up to keep the wheel off the ground
    [​IMG]
    scooter fits easy
    [​IMG]
    I forgot to get a shot of the 525 in there but it's pretty amazing what you can do with these rigs.

That's a 10' surfboard that fits in there! Road trip!
    [​IMG]
    How much crap can you find in an Element anyway?:lol3
    [​IMG]
    If you can believe it when I split with my ex in Onterrible I had this thing stuffed completely full with barely enough room to get in to drive.

Yes the spruce is 3/4" tongue and groove made by a local company, it's the cheapest stuff they sell aimed at cabins etc and the longest pieces are only 4'. I'm not looking for perfect and I think it looks great plus I don't give a shit about it getting beat up seeing as it is softwood. Pretty stoked to have it through the whole house now except the laundry room which we're going to do as soon as we put on the new porch and remove the closet that's there now. Hopefully new porch and addition in the back this spring.
    [​IMG]
    CA-Cincinnatus and Maggot12 like this.
  15. skibum69

Oddometer:
    The last project I tackled before heading off to work was putting in another septic tank for grey water that we plan on using in the garden. With what will be 6 showers and more sinks we don't want all of that water going into the septic tank as it will have enough to handle with 6 toilets.

start digging, there's the standpipe I need to deal with.
    [​IMG]
    my excavator guy takes care of half a dozen cemeteries in the area plus septics for many people, he also dug the trench for the water lines for my new drilled well earlier this summer. Good guy, nice to have someone local for this type of work. Septic tank is a concrete bunker behind left of the excavator.
    [​IMG]
    500 gallon fibreglass should do the trick, got it second hand unused up the road for a reasonable price
    [​IMG]
    vroom
    [​IMG]
    perfect fit
    [​IMG]
    I had a pile of styrofoam left over from something else so we insulated the tank, not that frost goes very deep here but now it's no issues. On the other side of Don is the standpipe that I have to get at when I get home to replace the steel inside. It's going to be a pain in the ass because it's set in concrete in the basement. Something to look forward to as soon as I get home from work.
    [​IMG]
    CA-Cincinnatus, B10Dave and Maggot12 like this.
  16. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Soooo...I just got home from work last night and today we were up early to play with plumbing. This job has been waiting many years for me to grow some cajones to get it done.

you can guess what this is
    [​IMG]
    it's long in the house and who know's how long it's been there? I caulked a crack in it a number of years ago but really it was time to deal with it so today was the day. Why did they have to encase it in concrete?
    [​IMG]
    So a little extra power was needed to do this job and it didn't take long to have the standpipe moving.
    [​IMG]
    Good protection and give 'er!
    [​IMG]
    I was stoked to see I could maybe do the cut and connection inside the house saving the pain of blowing the wall out.

A little close work to get the connection where it needed to be
    [​IMG]
    Oh yeah it's wonky 'cause the angles were little off. For now it's not leaking which is good but I may look at other options to connect later.
    [​IMG]
    We pinned it to give a bit of a bend to help, luckily the first connection to the old cast iron is rubber so it bends a good bit easily
    [​IMG]
    T in place as the 3r bathroom upstairs will join and the 2 outside toilets for the campers will as well when we get to it.
    [​IMG]
    Not that any of you care but it's necessary to go forward to build the B&B we want to so all of you have a nice place to stop in and take a load off on your trip.:D
  17. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking good Mike. Plumbing is not my favourite job either.
    CA-Cincinnatus likes this.
  18. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Obviously the pipe outside does not have quite the grade as it should 'cause when I cut through the pipe water started pouring back into the basement. The missus was freaking out about toxic sewage etc but realistically it was only water as we had done a couple of flushes before we started. Yeah it was a bit of a mess but no big deal really. The amount of crap still in the pipe I was almost surprised the system still worked but then again who knows how long that pipe was in play? Pretty easy in the long run, now we just need a day to play with concrete to rebuild the step.
  19. skibum69

Oddometer:
    So if plumbing wasn't enough the day after getting home from 3 weeks of working nights we started pouring drinks and went upstairs to look around and we decided to start curating. Both of us really like art and we both have piles of stuff not hanging. Some art we've collected with the intention of putting it upstairs in the B&B and some is stuff we already had. For me it really adds some warmth to the rooms and we'll see how it goes over when we have friends over this weekend.

These were last hanging in our bedroom but the missus figured they would go really well on a large piece of white wall upstairs, they are by Toronto artist Steve Driscoll, I have 6 pieces by him. Makes you want to get on your bike and ride away under the rainbow...
    [​IMG]

Growing up a friend of the family did fun sometimes political art, no surprise as he was at Kent State, that was always around me as a kid. Later in life he was going to throw away his collection of prints but thankfully his son grabbed them and put them out to the community to buy. I was stoked to add a bunch of his work to my collection.
    [​IMG]

This is an interesting new map that I got as soon as I heard about it. It is a map of resettled communities on the island, great one to go exploring from.
    [​IMG]

Another Jim Hansen, sadly he passed away this last fall but I have his art to remember him by.
    [​IMG]

I laugh to myself as his art works for our theme of motorcycles, you'll have to come visit to read the bylines and get the full effect.
    [​IMG]

This one I brought home from a work trip in Pennsylvania, the artist was an interesting guy and I could appreciate the scale of the woodcut.
    [​IMG]

A fun photograph by another friend
    [​IMG]

This was only a start for curating, we have some stuff that needs to be mounted and we only hung art in 2 bedrooms and the hall so far so that leaves 3 bathrooms and 2 bedrooms more curation. I have to say I do love hanging art around the house.

edit:

I forgot a couple, this one gives you a little info about our watery visitors
    [​IMG]

And this one was actually the first piece that was up, the missus was stoked to find this for $3.99 at Value Village as it had South Sudan, our newest country.
    [​IMG]

We'll let you know when there's more shit to look at. :D
    2dogs1cat, 'Bob', sick_boy and 4 others like this.
  20. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    The toilet is awfully close to the wall... :lol3

EvilClown likes this.