Newfoundland's T'railway Provincial Park

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Ronzo69, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Ronzo69

Ronzo69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am planning a trip the The Rock in 2020 and I am looking for some first hand experience on this abandoned railway.
    Condition? Difficulty? Camping availability?
    Wondering if it is worth while or should I just stick to the roads?
  2. fredgreen

fredgreen let's take it apart....

Oddometer:
    There are areas that are shit, lots of loose ballast rock, alders growing in, whoops etc, other areas are in great shape. Are you planning the trip across the province, or do you have certain areas in mind. It's a long trail, pretty much 900 km, so there are bound to be obstacles to completing the whole trailway.
    Ronzo69 likes this.
  3. fredgreen

Oddometer:
    You can camp just about anywhere you find a flat spot, food and gas are readily available. I suggest checking youtube for videos by motojet, and east coast atv. This will give you an idea of what to expect.
    MTBRALPH and Ronzo69 like this.
  4. Ronzo69

Ronzo69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Leaving Ontario on a Super Tenere into Quebec then Labrador to Blanc Sablon. Ferry to the island from there and spend 7-10 days on the island playing and exploring before heading home.
    Maggot12 likes this.
  5. rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder redemption gypsy

Oddometer:
    +1 on the motojet you tube vids.. i am not a fan of rail beds but the views and the mountain top road options the rail bed passes by are all i needed to see on the moto jet vids to confirm i will be riding the trailway in the 2020 season. We will approaching from Nova Scotia /Cape Breton to do the trip in August
    Ronzo69 likes this.
  6. fredgreen

Oddometer:
    Maggot12 and Ronzo69 like this.
  7. fredgreen

Oddometer:
    I am going over on the 25th of july for 2 weeks, focusing mainly on the west coast. I'm particularly intriqued by the new trail from Hawkes Bay to Taylors Brook.
    Ronzo69 likes this.
  8. Ronzo69

Ronzo69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the links.
    Gives me a good idea of what the trail is like.
    I am heading east from Ontario after labour day.
    Maybe the week before labour day if I want to do any fishing in Labrador before the season ends.
  9. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    It's not considered a provincial park.
    That said, I've had this on a bucket list to complete for probably 25 yrs. (covered some of it on the east coast). Thought about doing it on two wheels, but since scratched that off. Planning on doing it this summer in a Yamaha Wolverine X2 SxS (have yet to purchase)..

Watch the motojet ( WR250) and EastCoast atv vids on utube that are mentioned above to give you an idea of the terrain. Some parts of the trail a corvette could do it. Other areas where it's narrow, you'll either have to ride in the left OR right atv/utv wheel rut, so you'll have a 14-16in path, which will have the handlebars and luggage digging into the wall of trees. That's really the only reason I won't do it on 2 wheels. If I did, I'd want a lot smaller bike than a Tenere.

But certainly find some parts of it to get away and do some fishing/camping.

Camp anywhere. The motojet vids do a good job to show this.

Ronzo69 likes this.
  10. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    Having ridden most of it on a KLR I can give you my thoughts on the T-railway Provincial Park. It is a multi use trail that connects communities via quad and as such the ups and downs will test any suspension system near these communities. They create ruts on the sides and a ridge of railway ballast in the center. Pick a side and stick with it. Crossing the center at speed will give you a wicked wobble.
    With that said it has areas that are spectacular. The Wreckhouse, The Gaff Topsails, The Doe Hills, Terra Nova all come to mind but lots of it is just watching the alders fly past beating your handguards. The benefit of it following the TCH means jumping on and off is very easy as it crosses it and community roads regularly.
    I loved it in sections but day in, day out whoops were not enjoyable. You would be better served to do some coastal roads as well as the trail to make the experience here on the island a little more balanced.
    My .02 cents and worth what you paid for it.
    Ronzo69 and gpfan like this.
  11. Miller.a

Miller.a Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I haven’t ridden the rail bed on a motorcycle but I agree with the costal roads. To me the whole point of riding in NL is to enjoy the scenery. Most of what you’ll see on the rail bed is the interior, which for the most part looks like the forest anywhere. If I were making a NL trip I would be sticking to the coast for the most part.
    MTBRALPH, gpfan, flei and 1 other person like this.
  12. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    Newfoundland exists on and because of the ocean. Coming from Labrador means you will be best served getting on the T-railway at Howley and and passing through the Gaff Topsails. A great section on a sunny day.
    gpfan likes this.
  13. rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder redemption gypsy

Oddometer:
    I thought about taking the KLR to NFLD for the seat space while loaded to camp off the bike.. but after seeing some of the inclines /rocks on the optional hill climbs to the vista's {that are off the trail on the you tube vid mentioned}.. i think I'll be putting a soft bag rack on the WR250 and take it instead. Last summer we rode the Cape Breton highlands completely on logging roads from the causeway to Margaree then Cape Clear to Wreck Cove ... On many hills the KLR went down them rolling rocks along with its skid plate...or vice versa... the xt 250 and Crf250 L riders had a much easier time. [​IMG]steep but doable by b cam, on Flickr

Best of luck to the OP... The grandeur of the Newfoundand folks will be an humbling experience in itself...
    Maggot12 and Ronzo69 like this.
  14. fredgreen

Oddometer:
    I have done the whole trip, including Cape Clear/Wreck Cove on a Super Tenere. It would be no problem for a KLR. WR may not have the poop to climb some of the hills as seen in MotoJet's videos. I plan on doing the trip this year on a DR650 loaded for camping.
    Millwright98 likes this.
  15. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you actually ridden one? Up a hill?
  16. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Can't see a WR not being capably of climbing any hill that a 12 tenere pulled off. That motojet fella uses a wr250 in his vids, so not sure what fred is talking about here.
    Put a WR and a DR in the ferry parking lot for this trek and I'll take the WR. But as mentioned, it's better done on an atv or SxS.
    sturgeon likes this.
  17. fredgreen

Oddometer:

Have you ridden the Newfoundland trails? up these hills?

go to the 15:00 mark and watch. Not saying it can’t be done on a WR, but a loaded up for travelling WR presents it’s own problems when it comes to hp.
  18. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I just think one would be inheriting more problems from the weight of the Tenere, vs the lack of hp of the WR. He crashed the WR, and kept going. He would have crashed a lot more on a bike that's double the weight.

I'm from the east coast ( Salmon Cove) the trail (an artillery from the main trail) runs right thru my town. So I travelled on them a lot (mostly Avalon only though), even those are mostly flat but sharp rocks and ditches had me getting off as quick as I could a couple yrs ago on 650 XT Strom.

Thus the reason I'm not going to attempt it on 2 wheels. I want to make it back home.
  19. fredgreen

Oddometer:
    The S10 had no issues. I think this conversation went a little sideways. I’m not saying a WR isn’t capable, I’m going back to previous comments by rarepart saying he wasn’t going to take a KLR, as he wasn’t confident it would do the trip. I think pretty much any dual sport or Adv bike can go any of the places mentioned. I’ve travelled extensively over the west coast of NL on the trails and logging roads. Most spots any properly set up dual sport can do, other places, only hard enduro rider types could get through and some places, no bike could get through. This year I am taking a fairly well tuned DR650, and am completely confident it will be fine.
    Millwright98 and Maggot12 like this.
  20. Toofewbikes

Toofewbikes n00b

Oddometer:
    Last August I rode the T'Rail from just outside St. John's until Arnolds Cove (about 100 km ). Abandoned there due to severely slashed brand new rear tire. Apparently there have been incidents due to old railway debris like spikes, plates and old culvert hiding in some of the puddles. Whatever you ride, you might check if spare tires carried locally (Corner Brook, Gander, St. Johns). That said, even on my short ride, lots of variety. Whoops (lots), wide trails well kept, narrow sections not so much. My handguards were set too low resulting in a continuous thrashing of my knuckles. Was going to readjaust at my next stop but flatted first! Was riding a BMW F800GS. Not considered a small bike when compared to the WR. At least in my little section I had no problems. Last year I rode across Aussie outback (6000 km) Wr was preferred bike but was unloaded (offroad support truck) Bulletproof though!