Next in the BDR series - AZBDR

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by eakins, May 8, 2013.

1. philthyphil

philthyphil Nomad

Oddometer:
    Nice! Beat me to it! You fellas take care down there.
    DittyBag, gratefuldawg and pfdskipper like this.
  2. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not only don't stay there, but take extra precautions to keep your rig and bikes from getting stolen anywhere you stay down there.
  3. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. pfdskipper

pfdskipper Westside Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    No idea about the Jonquil. Have stayed at the inn at Castle Rock numerous times. Owner rides and is bike friendly. Very adequate rooms, clean and good beds. Reasonably priced. No connection to them but was not disappointed and would recommend.

https://www.theinnatcastlerock.com/
  5. HoosierTrailmaster

HoosierTrailmaster Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer:
    Try the Triple T Ranch in Texas Canyon...so very cool and friendly to motorcyclists.
  6. nwemerys

nwemerys Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    My wife and I have, last fall.
  7. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    Nice! How was it? I've always admired Sterling's work.
  8. gratefuldawg

gratefuldawg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We stayed there last night and got a chance to chat with Sterling. Pretty cool to be starting the AZ BDR by meeting him. The motel is a cool, funky place just up the hill from downtown. The room we rented, 2 bedroom, came with a car port for the bikes. GD
  9. nwemerys

nwemerys Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    We hit them when they first opened, it’s a funky place. My opinion is it’s perfect for a start to the BDR, Maybe not 5 stars but they aren’t going for that either. I’d stay there again. And supporting Sterling is great. I’ve ridden with him on some BDR fundraisers, he’s a talented and likable dude.
  10. KoryJ

KoryJ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When is the best time to do the AZBDR? I’m planning on ridding next year. Was planning on first few weeks in March lower elevation looks good but higher elevations looks a bit cold. Them June the lower elevation look super hot wile the higher elevation looks nice.
  11. yellowcarbon

yellowcarbon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    March through June can be all over the board in AZ, particularly when you mix in high & low elevations. For example, it was 70 degrees here in Phoenix earlier this week and will be 95 today. There was snow in the higher elevations about a week or two ago.

With that said, 90 degrees in the dry heat is not unpleasant to ride in. You do need to keep hydrated, but you don't feel hot if you are moving.
    mb300 and KoryJ like this.
  12. KoryJ

KoryJ Adventurer

Oddometer:

I don’t mind a little heat I live in central Texas. Lol. But I also don’t mind a little cold, can always put some liners in. I’m just not sure if March 2nd will be to cold.
  13. yellowcarbon

yellowcarbon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In March, it will be the cold that can get you. You might hit the 80's, but it is the lows that can be hard to deal with. It can be snowing in the upper elevations.

That is the problem with Arizona, particularly Phoenix. We get from the upper 20's to the 120's over the course of a year. We also can get 30 degree spreads over the course of a day. And when changing elevation, it can pretty easily be 40 to 50 degree difference over the day into night. So you can start in Mid-day in Phoenix (or any lower area) and be at 70 degrees. Then be at 20 degrees up in Flagstaff at night. It won't be hot in March, but either high or low, but it can and will be cold. How cold is dependent on if there is a high or low pressure system in the area.

I'd aim for late April or early May as you can get more consistent weather across high or low elevations. Again, a cold front will jack you up no matter where you are, but late April to early May will give you the best chance of nice weather at both high & low elevation.
    mb300 and KoryJ like this.
  14. KoryJ

KoryJ Adventurer

Oddometer:

Sounds like a plan. Thank you very much.
  15. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Late September and early October is generally a good time to ride in mixed desert/mountain environments. The winter snow is long gone and you have less severe temperature variations to deal with.
    renogeorge and Burro driver like this.
  16. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    My brother and I did parts of the AZBDR in mid-April a couple of years ago. It was 99° F at the border and 25° overnight in Flagstaff. We also got to ride through a haboob, which was an experience to say the least.

IMG_2571.jpg
    DittyBag likes this.
  17. KoryJ

KoryJ Adventurer

Oddometer:

How many days did it take and was there plenty of places to camp?
  18. bajasam

bajasam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Only weather you have to worry about is rain as that can affect your riding , if its to warm for you or to cold just go hit a motel for the night, your never very far from one.
  19. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    Our trip was somewhat abortive. We went in April, and it was 99°F at the border. After the difficult sand bits down there, we had not interest really in camping. We opted for a cheap hotel the first night, which was very welcome under the circumstances. The next night, I think we made it to Globe with similar circumstances — 99° heat. We settled for a hotel I think in Globe. The next day, we had really high winds. We made it to Flagstaff by the end of the day really bushed, and it was going to be 25° overnight, so we opted for . . . a Travelodge. From there, we went to the Grand Canyon on the roads. My brother had to return for work, so we rode the trails back from the Grand Canyon down to Flagstaff, stayed at the same Travelodge, and then went home from there.

So, we carried all of our camping gear and used it in hotel rooms. As mentioned, we had much more that we wanted to do, so I have a lot of unfinished business out that way.
    renogeorge and KoryJ like this.
  20. bajasam

bajasam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thats a common mistake thinking you can ride a loaded down 500 pound bike in 250 pound bike territory.If your not having fun in the sand or rocks or single track your probably on the wrong bike.But there are still plenty of parts you can ride if you research it well.
    AzMtnThumper and wbbnm like this.