Next in the BDR series - AZBDR

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by eakins, May 8, 2013.

1. 5050kid

5050kid Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would stay away from the reservation - I rode there this weekend, and most businesses are closed, even a lot of the gas stations (you can't even buy gas at the pump).
    Chillis likes this.
  2. Friedom

Friedom Onward and upward!

Oddometer:
    This actually makes me want to go in there that much more. I love technical and my bike is up to the task. Questionable to do it solo though.
    Good to know. I plan on having a good 10g in addition to my truck and 6.7 gallon bike tank, but the 6.7 is the only one that travels with me when riding.
  3. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    Yeah I wouldn't recommend doing it solo on a bike; it's a bit too remote. I did it solo in my SxS, though I did come across a few Land Cruisers and some other SxS's that particular day.

The route that I took started off of Hwy 288 just north of 188 (Cherry Creek Road). From there I went east/north and ended up on the very twisty-curvy section that lets out on 288 a few miles south of Young. The best part of that route IS the twisty-curvy section. I would suggest running that part and then also turn north and finishing up the trail that comes out past Young on the other side. I haven't done that stretch yet but would like to. Heck, depending on your timeframe, I could be easily persueded to come up there and camp for the weekend and ride it with you if you don't mind me being in a SxS. :)
  4. Friedom

Oddometer:
    Those things haul, so it wouldn't surprise me if you keep up.
    On the other hand, when I get in that zone..
    mntdawg likes this.
  5. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    Hahah on a wide trail (even with lots of curves), I can haul serious butt, but knowing what that tight stretch of Cherry Creek Rd is like, if you wanted, you coud leave me far, far behind.
  6. Friedom

Oddometer:
    I have rode through that area from 260 going south, but it was on the main road at 3am with snow around.
  7. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    hey fried:wave

you would enjoy 203,,, go for it.

hit me up i can give you a couple nice loops from a base camp
    Friedom likes this.
  8. Swashbuckler

Swashbuckler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I randomly got next week off. Is the AZBDR rideable right now?
  9. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    Right now, yes, but watch the weather closely. We're having a major downturn in temps starting on Saturday, so up at those elevations, it's gonna be COLD and if there's any precip around, it could be snowy.
    Swashbuckler likes this.
  10. Swashbuckler

Oddometer:
    Is there a lot of higher elevation riding on the bdr? A few posts back someone mentioned gas being an issue. Y’all think it’s still an issue?

thanks for the quick response Rob!
  11. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    Arizona is an unusual state, geographically. The northern half is very high elevation -- 7000' or so. Then it drops like a rock about midway down to under 2000'. The best part of the BDR is the route between Young and Globe, or more accurately, Young and Roosevelt Lake. Young is up at 6000-6500' or so and the route goes downhill the whole way to the lake which is at 2100'.

I should also note that this particular stretch of the route is VERY challenging and also very remote. I did it in my SxS earlier year, and it was a blast... but unless you're a VERY good rider on a light bike, I would NOT do it alone (if at all). Trying to get a 1200GS or even an Africa Twin through that would be tiring to say the least (especially since you'd be carrying camping gear).

What you could do is skip that particular leg and just go down Hwy 288 (which is a combination of very old asphalt and dirt/gravel), also still quite scenic. The rest of the BDR is fairly easy.
  12. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    Here's another idea...

Do the northern part of the BDR down as far as Hwy 260 (which is a few miles north of Young). I'm not familiar with the exact route of the northern leg.

Go east on Hwy 260 to Hwy 60 and continue east through Show Low, to Springerville. Here, pick up Hwy 191.

Hwy 191 south from Springerville to Morenci is roughly 112 miles of twists and turns and good-quality asphalt. It's the west's answer to Tail of the Dragon, only 3-1/2 times longer. I drove it in my STI a few years ago and it was a BLAST. And very scenic, as you go from the higher elevations with all the trees into the high desert area. Just remember it'll be cold so don't push TOO hard in the turns!

From there, head back west and resume the BDR southern route.
  13. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^Some of that sounds like really good advice if you can start soon and get well south of Flagstaff before the bad weather hits. Flag is a magnet for snow.

On our last trip thru there we got about and inch of snow in Flag overnight in mid-May. This created a section of tough mud on the section of the BDR running east-west from US 89 north of town.

Further north the west-east section south of 64 has some nasty ruts which normally means bad mud when wet.

I would want to stay on the BDR as long as possible unless it got muddy. Then look for paved alternate as described above.

Oh I just reread the OPs post and saw he cannot start until next week. So the north might be pretty bad then.
  14. bajasam

bajasam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You'll be fine, it's not like your going to be stranded out in the wilderness, if weather turns shitty your rarely more than 25 miles from a motel.
    2 SPOT likes this.
  15. AZ Africa Twin

AZ Africa Twin From the AZ High Country

Oddometer:
    It’s so dry here in Flagstaff the little rain we got last week didn’t even wet down the dust.

You are more likely to run into deep moon dust rather than deep snow. Good chance of flurries on Sunday, but the fall weather has been awesome!

Bring a warm sleeping bag if camping
    wbbnm likes this.
  16. Swashbuckler

Oddometer:
  17. shrunken

shrunken Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I haven't ridden the northern section through the Navajo reservation but the White Mountain and San Carlos reservations are on complete lockdown, you can't even drive down the side roads while going through on the highway. Payson/Young is scheduled to get rain/snow this weekend/early next week. I know once you get up on the rim north of Payson it gets super muddy/impassable with heavy rains.
  18. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    its all in fine shape, even if we get some snow or showers this w/e it will clear up, dry out and melt away quickly this time of year.

got an inch in an hour last week and i was riding on hero dirt the next day
    pfdskipper likes this.
  19. Cyclenaut

Cyclenaut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We rode from the beginning to Benson last Saturday. A little chilly in the am. No issues with gas, we filled up in Sierra Vista, and topped off in Sonoita. Beautiful, clear day.
    bikes.jpg fence bikes-1.jpg Coronado.jpg
  20. jredford

jredford Ninja Racer

Oddometer:
    Nice pics.