Next in the BDR series - CABDR - Southern

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by eakins, Jul 3, 2017.

1. moragabiker

moragabiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, that first photo of my wife is further north as we tried to find a route from Benton over to the NV BDR. We discovered that north-facing and/or shaded elevations above 7400' were not passable (for the two of us).
    Lost Cartographer likes this.
  2. officerleroy

officerleroy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FCB2A235-AD83-4D6F-B813-0C22B499E439.jpeg
    Lest I be given too much sand riding credit...

(In my defense I was jerking with my GoPro like a dumbass while coming to a stop. So stupid- lesson learned).

Fell like I’ve probably clogged this thread up enough with my own stuff and should probably do a RR instead, especially since I was solo and have a shite memory.

But I will add a couple last things:
    -The western film museum in Lone Pine is DEFINITELY worth it. Don’t open till like 10 so plan accordingly. Since the eastway to Cerro Gordo was supposedly closed, I chose to go up that next morning from the west and was back in time for it to open.
    -Baker Creek Campground in Big Pine is exceptional. Liked it more than Picacho. Close enough to town (the bar is even called Rossi’s place, how’s that for a sign) and tons of water (sites 14-16 are on a little island in fact).
    -Campgrounds in Death Valley are a joke. Try to avoid.
    -the “cool bar to eat at” after the intaglios is only open on the weekend.
    -consider coming back on the NVBDR. It’s a different enough vibe that it’s worth it.
    -definitely go in Manzanar NHS. Hard to see but important.
  3. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Exactly why I've never let you take my Super Enduro for a spin :-)
    Todd157k, Davethestick and KICKNBACK like this.
  4. Ma Duce

Ma Duce TBD

Oddometer:

Nice video. Brings back memories from a few months ago riding the same tracks on my 1090 :thumb
    officerleroy likes this.
  5. DeweyCox

DeweyCox Send in the probe

Oddometer:
  6. DeweyCox

DeweyCox Send in the probe

Oddometer:
    Lippincott Pass was a bit of a challenge. Had a couple minor drops but didn’t damage anything. Finished the route in four days but unfortunately Titus Canyon was still closed so we probably saved a few hours bypassing that. Great ride and I definitely improved my sand skills.

Attached Files:

7. mbeiley

mbeiley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We just got back from an 8 day trip yesterday (rode Apr 6-13). We went from Yuma up to Reward Mine in section 7, and then back to Yuma. All of the route we covered was open, including Titus Canyon and Cerro Gordo. Surprisingly, we ran across 0 other riders doing the CABDR. Most of the trails were very empty. We ran across 2 groups of 2 riders, but they weren't doing the CABDR, just riding near Racetrack. It might have had to do with the extreme heat and wind while we were riding. Two of the days were 20 degrees above average, and 2 of the days had a high wind advisory in Death Valley (with gusts up to 60 mph). We stayed in hotels. My personal favorite was Titus Canyon. I was lucky enough to find a $100 bill in a bottle near the trail (no joke)! I've posted photos of our trip here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/saKgiz3RGg3gRE6KA
    Todd157k, RonSJC, gammel and 2 others like this.
  8. Champ57u

Champ57u Adventurer

Oddometer:
    RonSJC likes this.
  9. jbean114

jbean114 4 wheels moves the body, 2 wheels moves the soul

Oddometer:
    RR - snow pack still exists above 8000 feet north of Lone Pine. We made it to about Mazuorka Peak on section CA7 when we hit snow, but it is melting and turning into thick mud. We had to turn back because my carb was on the fritz and choked out at that elevation. Two other big KTMs (990? 1090?) had to be hauled out of there on a flatbed... luckily, we towed ourselves.
    IMG_0629.jpg
    IMG_0634.jpg

FYI - Cerro Gordo approach from East was open and an easy climb. Just some soft stuff at the bottom in the wash.
    Lost Cartographer and slogger like this.
  10. RonSJC

RonSJC Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  11. RonSJC

RonSJC Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update. So, that first pic looks like the snow gods decided snow only needed to be on the road bed!
    jbean114 likes this.
  12. jbean114

jbean114 4 wheels moves the body, 2 wheels moves the soul

Oddometer:
    Strange, right!? We tried to bushwhacked around it and we probably could have if my bike didn’t fail. It looked like there were a few alternate dirt roads that connected, but can’t speak for what was further up the hill.
    RonSJC likes this.
  13. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    We're dropping in at Primm two weeks from tomorrow (May 2nd - May 5th) and hope the snow is gone as we're connecting the NVBDR for the return route by way of the canyon roads just north of Boundary Peak.

Really wanting to do the higher elevations of the last couple of sections as well.
  14. fiddlefestival

fiddlefestival Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Whoa, it is late April and there are still impassable snow sections! I tried to finish the northern part of the CABDR this week, but had to do the regular valley routes on section 7. The more challenging alternates still have too much snow and I backtracked. This is going north to south, after turning off Death Valley Road towards Mazourka Canyon. No tire tracks yet going this way: P4170262.JPG
    Cerro gordo road was completely clear, though, only a few snow patches in the shade.

Yes, you probably could have gone further, but the other side down would have had more snow. I probably still had 1000 feet of elevation gain before the top from the other side before it became impassable
  15. Carlos Thomas

Carlos Thomas Fast not Furious

Oddometer:
    We just finished the California BDR. We were on the trail Saturday April 13th thru Wednesday April 17th. In those 5 days we traversed 884 miles. My group of three had a Beta 430 & DRZ 400 (x2). Traveling with a smaller group made it easier in terms of dust.

We saw one other two rider team on a KTM 500 & a brand new KTM 450 Six Days the first two days. We chatted with them a little bit, but we did not ride together. On days 3, 4 & 5 we linked up with another group from Portland, OR. They started 1 day before us. We planned to catch up to them based on our estimated pace. In their group was a:

1. KTM 1290
    2. KTM 1090
    3. Africa Twin
    4. KLR 650
    5. KTM 500 XCW
    6. DRZ 400
    The KTM 1090 and Africa Twin decided to head home early after we completed Titus Canyon. So we were a group of 7 that finished the trail.

Day 1 - 125 Miles
    Day 2 - 218 Miles
    Day 3 - 221 Miles
    Day 4 - 149 Miles
    Day 5 - 172 Miles

My team stayed in motels each night. The other team camped twice and then stayed in the same motels we did.

I did not drop my Beta 430 once during the trip. One other rider in my group on a DRZ 400 didn’t have a drop either. I had a slight oil leak from the clutch cover, but nothing to worry about. My headlight going into the Reward Mine went out (loose connection). I kid you not. Luckily there was a bike in front of me with lights and folks behind me with lights. But things got real dark real quick. We had a little bit of space between us. So I had to slow down because I could not tell how close I was to the wall.

All in all, the California BDR met all my expectations. I would have preferred to camp versus staying in the motels, but it did make it a lot easier staying in the motels. The only downside was that we had to be in certain places by night fall. When you camp you can just pick your home for the night. But some of the places in the desert did not look fun camping.

I felt my Beta 430 RR-S was in its own element out there on the BDR. It was the perfect tool for the job.

We saw temps mostly around 77 degrees, which was great. From Section 4 got as high as 98 degrees. Section 5 was the most interesting. We got thunder, lighting, rain, hail and snow when we where at 6,500 feet. It was 28 degrees. After the thunderstorms passed it got muddy in various sections. The bigger bikes started to struggle a bit. The biggest problem was being wet and cold. We raced our way to Lone Pine and skipped Cerro Gordo. The following day, we doubled back to get to Cerro Gordo. That is how we got to 884 miles.

Attached are some photos...

“Bee” is for BETA
    88AD0A56-750E-4244-ABE8-384F99AF3612.jpeg D2BC2660-1BE3-4C99-900C-888665D6FCBD.jpeg 4C841568-A7A8-4735-B49E-576409395361.jpeg 07A1E704-DB4C-4963-A71F-FADDE29580B6.jpeg 0771904D-653E-4C8B-9FFA-4681775EAE44.jpeg
  16. Carlos Thomas

Oddometer:
  17. Carlos Thomas

Oddometer:
  18. Davethestick

Davethestick Long timer

Oddometer:
    How was the Chase truck?
    Rips Millar likes this.
  19. KICKNBACK

KICKNBACK Old enough to know better young enough not to care

Oddometer:
    Are your tires worn out? Did you change pressure from pavement to dirt?
    Rips Millar likes this.
  20. Rips Millar

Rips Millar capt. mediocre

Oddometer:
    ya, no pics of the crew?

seriously, I wish I knew how to take pics like that.