Next in the BDR series - CABDR - Southern

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by eakins, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Bain Dramage

Bain Dramage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any of the above would be awesome. It was wonderful to see the Adventure Out! section of the show. I hope it's there this year as well. Thanks.
  2. MotoPolo

MotoPolo So many places, so little time Supporter

Oddometer:
    We will be connecting ORBDR to CABDR -S this October. Do you have any routes you are willing to share that we can test ride? We are riding north to south Canada to Mexico

thanks
  3. RonSJC

RonSJC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Route 5? Send me a PM and I'll see if I can assist.

Ron
  4. Lost Cartographer

Lost Cartographer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Easter 2019:

IMG_20190419_171805.jpg

IMG_20190419_171836.jpg

Today:

IMG_20190831_163101.jpg

Started in Lone Pine this am, did the hard routes.

Mazourka Canyon was awesome, and the climb up to Bristlecone Pine Forest was good fun too. Spent a couple of hours checking out the pines, it was nice and cool up there.

Its 101f in Bishop right now, need to go find a campsite at elevation.

More photos to come.
    NSFW, scarysharkface, dino702 and 9 others like this.
  5. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Hey, if anyone is interested in a ride southbound, I'm tentatively looking to start southbound from Benton on Oct 7. I'll just ride a few sections southbound. I'll be on my 1290. I'll give the hard stuff a try as long as whoever is along promises to help me pick up the 1290 should I tip over.
  6. jonz

Oddometer:
    Howdy gang,
    The 2 day southbound ride from Benton Hot Springs did happen. A few notes that may be of interest:

1) I figured Sunday night at Benton Hot Springs wouldn't be busy. Wrong - booked solid and no cancellations. Camping it was. If you want to splurge and stay there, make reservations.

2) There is quite a bit of deep sand and silt riding south toward the Owens Valley Radio Observatory. My buddy is a solid intermediate on dirt bike and a novice advrider on his 1200GS. He dumped his bike once and got stuck once.

3) From Big Pine, we decided to give the red route southbound a try. I got stuck on the second step up which took about 15 minutes of taxing extrication effort. We opted to turn around. The easy route south of Big Pine was REALLY pretty and made a pretty nice consolation prize. We though about stopping early there to camp but flame retardant had been dropped near the creek we hoped to use for water so we continued on. We ended up with a long day and camped just past Manzanar.
  7. RonSJC

RonSJC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Southbound on the Expert section past Big Pine is much harder going up, then coming down. Glad you enjoyed the easier Route. For those of you that want just a bit more challenge along the easy route going south, just west of McMurray Meadows Road (off Glacier Lodge Road) is Forest Service road 09s113 to 33E306 before connecting back to McMurray Meadows road. It's even more scenic, but there is one water crossing that is rather steep in and out of (spring would be even more challenging). Also, if the Expert routes are closed later in the year due to snow, I really think you would enjoy the aformentioned option. (North bound it's a left to 33E306). Nice little valley before dumping you back on Glacier Lodge Road)

Ron
    Lost Cartographer, jonz and lucertola like this.
  8. Lost Cartographer

Oddometer:
    A couple of months ago I said that I'd add more photos of my 'way too damn hot summertime ride' up there. Like everything else in life, I forgot....

The tough section in Mazourka Canyon. If you are going South to North you come down this, North to South you go up it:

[​IMG]

Exploring the Bristlecone Pine forest (strongly recommended, just off the CABDR route):
    [​IMG]

Above the tree line, this is only a couple of miles from the above photo:

[​IMG]

This isn't on the CABDR route, but all bike dump photos must be included:

[​IMG]

Heading up Swansea Gordo Rd to the Salt Tram - this isn't on the CABDR either but it's close by and a great ride :

[​IMG]

The Salt Tram:

[​IMG]

The RR starts at this post:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/cabd...ll-go-to-walmart.1361827/page-5#post-38336036

NSFW, Bonnie & Clyde, Square1 and 4 others like this.
  9. Davethestick

Davethestick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey @mb300 - I'm going to be in the area in a couple weeks and I'd like to add a slight detour through the bristlecone forest (tempatures depending). Is the above pic White Mountain road or Wyman Creek?

Either way, I'll probably have to hook up with Wyman Creek to take me towards Dyer, NV for Fuel.
  10. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    @mb300 ... getting a big Honda AT up Swansea to the Salt Trams is job well done. That route is not for the average "Starbuck's" adventure rider.
  11. jonz

Oddometer:
    Howdy,
    Was there an online flyer for this showing? If so, could someone provide a link? I haven't had any luck finding a 'flyer' for that showing.
  12. RonSJC

RonSJC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like that event was last January
  13. Lost Cartographer

Oddometer:

Oops I fell behind. sorry.

The moonscape photo is on White Mountain Road, it's a little bit of a detour from the CABDR route but definitely worth it if you have time.

Check out this post for route details and recommendations:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/cabd...ll-go-to-walmart.1361827/page-5#post-38345996

[​IMG]
    scarysharkface and Davethestick like this.
  14. RonSJC

RonSJC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. GrizzLee

GrizzLee RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer:
    I have a potential of 2 weeks off around Christmas.

Questions for those who have ridden this route....

1) Winter Solstice... is this time regarding daylight, temps and weather doable? (I live in the Seattle Area, so rain, weather and daylight in winter are an issue for riding up here)

2) If I ride solo, what sections should I avoid and is there an alternate (Just looking for a nice off road ride, nothing real challenging). Or am I crazy for riding solo on this one. I carry InReach and a PLB.

3) If the CABDR is out bounds for me, is there recommended tour to take (Mojave, Nevada, Ca, Arizona) trip that has a mix of pavement, dirt, etc...)? My wife may actually join me if the temps aren't too bad for this.

OR... Maybe I should post #3 of this question in another thread.

Appreciate any/all advice.

Thanks
    lucertola likes this.
  16. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Hey @GrizzLee , there are way too many answers to those questions and I'm sure there will be lots of variations from this crowd. Here's mine:

1) Me and 3 others rode this route right after Christmas last year, the days were short but our pace was very quick. We were fortunate to have perfect weather. Plan your pace/miles and have multiple overnight stop point options. The most problematic spot regarding weather is at the northern end of the route going through the White Mountains. Lots of snow and impassable routes last year.

2) On our ride, we came across a guy riding solo. He joined us for a bit. My opinion, there wasn't anything on the route that would fall under "don't ride alone".

3) Lots of offshoot treks/tours off the CABDR; Bradshaw Trail, Mojave Rd, Death Valley ...

There are several ride reports on this thread with recommendations for camp spots, food stops, etc.
    GrizzLee and RonSJC like this.
  17. Rips Millar

Rips Millar capt. mediocre

Oddometer:
    I watched your video on youtube, you should be ok. BUT

what are your dirt skills like? Are you on a loaded down GSA? Not too many sections to be worried about except for the gravel wash on day 1, i'd probly pass on that solo with a loaded beemer..although on a loaded 990 it was one of the funnest sections we did. Looks like remote areas don't bother you, so i'd say braaaaap!!!
  18. GrizzLee

Oddometer:
    If I did the CABDR solo, it'd be on my G650GS Sertao. I know there is deep sand/gravel. I ride alot around my home state and parts of BC on the 650 in the mountains and the local BDRs. I ride much differently and lighter with friends along (don't have to carry as much as when I go solo as we split common gear). The big trips with hwy, I like the 1200 and always judiciously. Although, I now have a newer and lighter LC GS as opposed to my old super tanker GSA. That was beast!!

Yeah, remote no worries. The more remote the better :-)
    RonSJC likes this.
  19. RonSJC

RonSJC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1. Temps at the south end are usually about perfect riding weather unless a storm rolls through. The northern end could see rain, snow, sleet and than warmish sun all in the same day.
    2. Don't know your skills, so that's a tough one, but there are challenging sections and sand sections can be downright fun (with some rain to compress things) or very difficult after long periods with no moisture.
    3. Death Valley, Joshua Tree, Mojave Preserve all have fun, beautiful, relaxing off-highway roads to enjoy, even two up. Temps will be cold before or after a storm, but in between quite comfortable.

Ron
    Lost Cartographer and GrizzLee like this.
  20. GrizzLee

Oddometer:
    I'd most likely skip the white mountains. I've been up there before. Cold and snow. I don't like the white stuff.

Thanks for the reply. You gave some ideas as alternates to maybe look at with the missus.