Next in the BDR series - COBDR

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by eakins, Nov 23, 2011.

1. mgK&j9$2d8Z7e7gN

mgK&j9$2d8Z7e7gN n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks again for the update! I'm looking on a map and looking to follow your advice regarding the diversion required to complete section 4. Any additional details on the route needed to go around Hagerman pass would be much appreciated. I'll be going from North to South and want to stay on the trail as much as possible.

Thanks again!
  2. LeCler

LeCler Ain'tSayin

Oddometer:
    Hopefully, I can update this a little after the first of August. Another mate and I are headed South from BV to Dolores. We are hoping for the best and I am thinking that Taylor Res. area will be quite muddy. Anyone have any info on the Southern half (Sec 1-3)?
  3. Bud Dog

Bud Dog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Once you cross I-70 at Gypsum the BDR take you to the Eagle-Thomasville Rd. At Thomasville instead of heading East to Hagermam Pass go West to Highway 82 East on Hwy 82 to Aspen over Independence Pass back to US 24 then it’s just a few miles north to catch the COBDR again. At Thomasville there should be a sign saying if Hagerman Pass is open or closed. They are suppose to open Hagerman on July 12th.
  4. RckyMtnBiker

RckyMtnBiker Not all those that wander are lost....

Oddometer:
    Sounds right, thanks Bud Dog, good to hear Hagerman expected to open 7/12. After you get over Independence Pass and descend down into Twin Lakes on hwy 82, you will go left (North) on hwy 24 towards Leadville until you see the signs for Weston Pass to the East to resume on COBDR route.
  5. Kent Glasscock

Kent Glasscock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This appears to be the section closed for fire replenishment per the BDR website link from the USDA National Forest. This was signed on in March of 2019 but they just posted it. Its valid for a year. Unless someone at the park decides otherwise. I'm thinking it will reopen next Spring. https://ridebdr.com/news/cobdr-roads-closure-july-3-2019/
  6. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    Anybody have intel about closures on the Cdr?
  7. cidi

cidi cidi Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you mean CDT?
  8. LeCler

LeCler Ain'tSayin

Oddometer:
    Continental Divide Route, I believe is what he's talking about.
  9. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    Continental Divide Ride would be the one. Thanks.
  10. LeCler

LeCler Ain'tSayin

Oddometer:
    Check with GPS Kevin's site for that sort of info. There's also a thread concerning the route. It has several names (e.g., The Great Divide Route, The Continental Divide Route, etc.).
    Patj551 likes this.
  11. AZWildcat

AZWildcat n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll be riding a modified version of the COBDR in a couple of weeks, starting from Durango. Does anyone know where I can leave my truck and trailer in/near Durango for a week? I have one potential option but I'm looking for another in case it falls through.
  12. sceep

sceep Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check with the KOA. They have a large parking area that I believe they will store things in very cheap.
  13. Slammin

Slammin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm staying at the Dolores River Campground and they are letting me leave my truck and trailer there for a very small fee. But I think that's because I'm a customer.
  14. AZWildcat

AZWildcat n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, I’ll check those both out.
    sceep likes this.
  15. sceep

sceep Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. fredbenz

fredbenz 2 wheel adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if one can make it from Animas Forks to Lake City without going up and over Cinnamon Pass. Just past Animas Forks (headed East), the map shows “County Road #2” running north along the East side of the 'North Fork of the Animas River' to what looks like a connection to County Road #20, which appears to carry you northeast along Henson Creek, ultimately ending in Lake City. Looks like the route would involve several creek/river crossings (Animas River, Mineral Creek, Henson Creek and North Fork of Henson Creek) and the connection from County Road #2 to County Road #20 is a bit vague.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.
  17. fredbenz

fredbenz 2 wheel adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know status of Slumgullen and Los Pinos passes... (Don't see anything on Bushducks or NFS sites)
  18. sceep

sceep Long timer

Oddometer:
    2 from silverton to animas is closed due to avalance debris.

You can get from silverton to ainimas via hurricane and california , then over engineer to LC.

Dont think Cinnamon is open yet.

I wouldnt attempt any river crossings in the area currently
  19. Slammin

Slammin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, how are the stream crossings these days? A buddy and I will be riding sections 1-4 in a couple of weeks. Everyone talks about the passes, I'm more concerned about down below. Thanks!
    95Monster likes this.
  20. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    In Lake City now.
    Cinnamon has a major mudslide with people trapped on the mountain.

Word is alot of work need to clean it.
    michaelmy and 95Monster like this.