Next in the BDR series - COBDR

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by eakins, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Kent Glasscock

Kent Glasscock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_20190814_140105511.jpg

Made it to the Four Corners. This is actually a neat place with vendors and it's only five bucks to check out. Staying in Cortez. Blondie's is a nice place. Good jalopenos poppers. Will see how things go tomorrow.
  2. Kent Glasscock

Oddometer:
    IMG_20190815_104551680_HDR.jpg
    Left around 6 from Cortez. Straightforward to Telluride with a couple of jeep type tracks in between. Then the real excitement began going up Ophir. That rock is no joke and dropped it about 3 quarters up. Luckily some jeepers helped me out. You know. I can lift the bike fully loaded in my front yard but 10000 feet up in a rock garden wasn't happening. I made it the rest of the way as onlookers gasped as I tried to get my momentum going without flying off the side. The rest of the passes are tough but not as bad. Met some riders doing the TAT but no other BDRers. Made it to Lake City around two. So 8 hours all together. Lake City is nice. And I was good after a few Coors Banquets.
    Also, I did find a Wolfman fender bag. In case someone is missing theirs.
    kleinergti1, 95Monster, KoryJ and 8 others like this.
  3. Chipk

Chipk Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought that was a pic of my bike on Saturday! Same problem with the rock, with panniers loaded I figured I weighed in at 660 on my '13 GSA and had a problem keeping enough momentum and feeling comfortable as I was sliding around. Can't say I've ever ridden rock like that before, now would I care too with that drop on the side.

With cinnamon closed did you ride over engineer and how was that compared to this?

Obviously I ran around on Last Dollar road which was great, but I felt bad turning around.

You can't imagine what they charge for clean underwear in Telluride!
    MVIMG_20190810_131759.jpg
    95Monster, bigfatkahuna and PYG RYDR like this.
  4. Kent Glasscock

Oddometer:
    They had reopened cinnamon the previous Saturday so was able to cross. You could see where the slides were. The road crews did a great job.
    PYG RYDR likes this.
  5. Kent Glasscock

Oddometer:
    Took about 6 hours to Buena Vista. The Jeep trails the BDR people put in as a side to the main dirt road are cool but I get the most paranoid being by myself out here.
    Now. As for Cottonwood. You take that side route from 765 with a couple of water crossings and that takes you to 209 where the construction is going on. There was a road closed sign and orange barrels. I thought it was closed but cars started coming up so I just pulled in with traffic. There was still a 20 minute wait but the road is open

Attached Files:

Chipk and PYG RYDR like this.
  6. HBL

HBL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the trail info! Am I reading correctly, you completed section 1 AND section 2 in 8 hours?
    FirstPath likes this.
  7. Kent Glasscock

Oddometer:
    Not quite. It's 38 miles from Cortez to the Four Corners. So I went there the day before. That probably knocked off an hour and a half. Still doable. The only time I stopped were for photos and forty minutes of getting up Ophir pass
    HBL and FirstPath like this.
  8. HBL

HBL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. We're planning to ride the COBDR in a couple of weeks, so very interested in your daily progress/reports. We have one day scheduled for each section, so we'll obviously have plenty of time to explore!
  9. Spey

Spey n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks as well. Not going to do any of section 1, but jumping on section 2 around Telluride/Ouray area. Will be in South Fork area first week of Sept. (2 GSA's, 2 F800GS's, and a KTM 500 if you happen to see us)
  10. Slammin

Slammin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So today we planned to ride from Ouray to Lake City today via Cinnamon Pass. Bad timing to pick a Saturday, it was convoys going up. Made it just about a mile up and then a guy on a bike comes flying down yelling it’s closed and gives the kill sign across his throat. We’re like, no, it’s open. We got a little farther and traffic was at a standstill with all the 4 wheel vehicles turning around. Come to find out somebody in a 4wd vehicle went completely off the side of the mountain. Could be a thousand feet down, who knows. The guy on the bike we saw was probably trying to find cell service to get life flight in there. Very scary and prayers are in order.

Since the northern access to Engineer was surely just as crowded, we took the “Alternate Easy” track to Lake City. It is all well groomed County and FS road but absolutely beautiful, very secluded and almost zero traffic. It’s a worthy route in its own right. We’ll try the Alpine Loop next week in our return.

Be safe out there!
    95Monster likes this.
  11. Kent Glasscock

Oddometer:
    Man. That is terrible. Certainly hope they're okay. I don't want to take away from that. I'll add the ride today from Buena Vista was really nice. Did meet a couple of groups of riders on the BDR today. There are three water crossings. The first is right outside of BV on 376 I think, it was deep with the soft bottom. It's not very clear and not long but you do sink a little. Maybe 16 inches but not flowing. Second before Weston is long but not deep and the third is after Hagerman while going downhill. That one was my favorite. Weston is easy to get up to. Hagerman is much tougher but the rock is embedded so you bounce around. Just pick your line and your good. I've gotten to the point that my tent and bag are 'just in case," and I'm not the big camping type so if you do motel it. Be ready to spend some bucks in Lake City and BV. I don't think they're are any lodging in Gypsum. Eagle is 8 miles up the road. With more lodging but maybe pricey also. YRMV. I left around 7 today and was in Eagle around 1. Plan is to complete the last two sections tomorrow totalling 240 miles. Provided that goes fine. Then head to Mexican Hat to start the UTBDR. Open invite to anyone out there. I could use a riding partner

Attached Files:

PYG RYDR likes this.
  12. jnclem

jnclem True Airhead

Oddometer:
    Cottonwood opened on 8/12. As stated there will still be delays for a while.
  13. Slammin

Slammin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We’re in Lake City now staying at the Alpine Moose. Really nice owners and the room is great, especially the shower! Ate at the Southern Vittles, the food there is good and reasonably priced. Section 3 tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up on the water crossings. I drowned a 990 once in a deep part of a creek so stream crossings can make me pucker.
    Chipk and 95Monster like this.
  14. surferbum

surferbum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Relocated to Scottsdale, AZ from SF Bay area
    Cottonwood Pass is quick. We had a 15 minutes wait. BTW we're going North-to-South. Ride to Tin Cup City was fun. A number of water crossings were questionable but no problems. Here's a crossing from earlier in the day. Have fun. IMG_4762.jpg
    Aces 6, PYG RYDR, kleinergti1 and 2 others like this.
  15. Kent Glasscock

Oddometer:
    That was my favorite crossing
  16. Kent Glasscock

Oddometer:
    Done. The last two sections aren't really technical unless it rains. It was mostly hard gravel that you could do a good speed on. Couple of turn offs through the woods. Beautiful areas and nice ranch homes. You can do it in 8 hours. Highlight was one water crossing not deep but I left my overpants vented so that was cold. There was a bike race going so I faced that for 40 miles. They were all nice and many waved or gave a thumbs up as I stayed to right for them. And I saw a bear. The photo with no sign is what the actual end of the COBDR looks like. The one with the Welcome sign I'll post on FB. I'm in Craig now. Heading back to my van in Cortez tomorrow. I was going to head to do the UTBDR but I honestly feel better doing that with additional people. So that will be postponed to next year. I appreciate all the info on this thread and I wish you all safe journeys.

Attached Files:

17. Goofaroo

Goofaroo The Piddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wasn’t planning to do a ride this summer but my neighbor bought a bike and talked me into it. It’s been a few years since I rode the COBDR so my tracks are probably dated. Does anyone know if the tracks on the BDR site are current for whatever changes may have been made? Any closures I need to know of?

We’re trailering out this Wednesday to Lake City and will be staying at the Raven’s Rest Hostel. We only have a couple of weeks to ride and we want to spend a few days in the San Juans so I’m thinking we’ll ride north to Steamboat and then backtrack to Lake City with a few stops and variations to the route.
    Then we’ll spend the remainder of our time riding extensively in the San Juans. Time permitting we may even run over the Cortez and ride the track back to Telluride. Mostly camping with a few motel stays.

If anyone is interested in tagging along either meet us in Lake City this Wednesday the 28th at the hostel or PM me and let me know your intentions. We’ll be the old farts on a black KLR and a red KLR. Both with aluminum panniers.
  18. Oh2RideMore

Oh2RideMore Long timer

Oddometer:
    Planning a trip sep 14-29, utbdr and cobdr. Good to hear all the news on closures and current status. Have ridden this twice, but missed the mountains, so coming back. Got another rider from canada coming down. Still work to do on bike and trailer.
  19. Am.E

Am.E Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fyi, Sylvan Lake State park in section 4 just south of gypsum co is closed. Do not plan to camp there. The whole place is a construction zone, including working on the dam. It looks like it will be closed to the public for awhile. (I didn't see anything about this on the bdr website, and if it's in this thread already, I missed it).

[​IMG]

Just completed the cobdr n to s a couple of days ago. My first western bdr. Absolutely fantastic. I really appreciate this thread.
    KoryJ, PYG RYDR and eddyturn like this.
  20. devotionliner

devotionliner Armadillo Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sylvan lake will be closed until mid-summer 2020. Opening has been delayed.

https://cpw.state.co.us/placestogo/parks/SylvanLake/Documents/Sylvan Dam One Pager Update 5-19.pdf

Since the summer of 2018, a contractor for CPW has been RECONSTRUCTING THE DAM AT SYLVAN LAKE STATE PARK.
    Dam built in the 1940’s

Due to the need for regrading and revegetation, the tentative opening date of the lake area is mid-summer 2020.
    Some facilities will be open through construction.

The lake will not be filled, the reservoir area and campground will remain closed to public use. The upper cabins at the reservoir, a portion of the West Brush Creek Trail, the east side of the park, and the visitor center will remain open. The road to the lake will be open for public access to the national forest.
    Am.E and KoryJ like this.